Report 7 years ago
lol I really like that diy trim
warrenpenalver
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chaz1992)
Also a lighter flywheel (counted as an engine mod so your insurance may rocket) would be good (this will allow you to gain and drop revs much faster).
anything other than a very small bit of lightening will screw up the drivability of the engine. The lighter the flywheel the lumpier and rougher the engine will be low down. hence why heavily lightened fly wheels are kept mostly on race cars where drivability isnt an issue as your constantly in the power bands and on WOT.
Sam Walters
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by warrenpenalver)
anything other than a very small bit of lightening will screw up the drivability of the engine. The lighter the flywheel the lumpier and rougher the engine will be low down. hence why heavily lightened fly wheels are kept mostly on race cars where drivability isnt an issue as your constantly in the power bands and on WOT.
You're wrong. Sorry to say it pal.
gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Really!? Don't think so Sam...:confused:
iwantcheese5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
As far as I know lightweight flywheel = lumpy idle as the whole point of the flywheel is to give the engine some extra inertia to smooth out the fact the detonations aren't constant and to help keep it smooth when you lift off. I expect from the nature of the rotary engine's natural smoothness the flywheel is probably pretty light already.
warrenpenalver
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sam Walters)
you clearly know nothing it seems.
sophia_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sam Walters)

(Original post by gbduo)
Really!? Don't think so Sam...:confused:

(Original post by warrenpenalver)
you clearly know nothing it seems.
Boys boys! Play nice.
Sam Walters
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Jar of Hearts
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My uncle has that car... but in black. I must say it's rather sexy in red. I'm trying to convince him to give it to me for my first car but I've had no luck so far.

That car is sexy :coma:
M1F2R3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Love the car, Cheese. As it happens, the RX-8 is one of my favourite cars. Personally, I wouldn't have bothered with the panel filter and as I would have gone for a HKS induction but that's just my personal preference. Also, HKS inductions are around 10x the price of most panel filters.

If only I had an RX-8... aftermarket FI system, upgraded cooling system, CF bonnet, GMax lowering springs and hosing.. It's nice to dream, eh?

Great job though.
iwantcheese5
Rep:
?
(Original post by M1F2R3)
Love the car, Cheese. As it happens, the RX-8 is one of my favourite cars. Personally, I wouldn't have bothered with the panel filter and as I would have gone for a HKS induction but that's just my personal preference. Also, HKS inductions are around 10x the price of most panel filters.

If only I had an RX-8... aftermarket FI system, upgraded cooling system, CF bonnet, GMax lowering springs and hosing.. It's nice to dream, eh?

Great job though.
From what I've read the AEM cold air intake is the best as it's a copy of the Mazdaspeed one, most of the others don't move the filter away from the hot part of the engine bay. An AEM is definitely on the cards should I take things further. Forced induction is tempting me as well but you're looking at £2000+ for a turbo kit and £5000+ for a supercharger kit, either way should get you over 300bhp though. I'm quite tempted by one of the Pettit Racing prepared engines which have nice strong internals so you can raise the limiter so something like 10500rpm! Though for the ultimate engine you can't beat a 3 or 4 rotor engine, they sound like an F1 car.

GMax lowering springs would probably ruin one of the best bits of the car - the handling, it's sooo good in stock form that it'd be a crime to put anything that isn't proper good quality on, working out which wheels to get is a ball ache for the same reason. Most of the hosing isn't visible so other than a little bit of improvement to handling high pressures there isn't as much incentive to change it.

I've wondered about a CF bonnet, my thoughts would be to have a couple of Velocity Red stripes running up the bonnet, offset to one side and leave the rest so you can see the weave.
M1F2R3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by iwantcheese5)
From what I've read the AEM cold air intake is the best as it's a copy of the Mazdaspeed one, most of the others don't move the filter away from the hot part of the engine bay. An AEM is definitely on the cards should I take things further. Forced induction is tempting me as well but you're looking at £2000+ for a turbo kit and £5000+ for a supercharger kit, either way should get you over 300bhp though. I'm quite tempted by one of the Pettit Racing prepared engines which have nice strong internals so you can raise the limiter so something like 10500rpm! Though for the ultimate engine you can't beat a 3 or 4 rotor engine, they sound like an F1 car.

GMax lowering springs would probably ruin one of the best bits of the car - the handling, it's sooo good in stock form that it'd be a crime to put anything that isn't proper good quality on, working out which wheels to get is a ball ache for the same reason. Most of the hosing isn't visible so other than a little bit of improvement to handling high pressures there isn't as much incentive to change it.

I've wondered about a CF bonnet, my thoughts would be to have a couple of Velocity Red stripes running up the bonnet, offset to one side and leave the rest so you can see the weave.
AEM are a good brand imo, if RX-8 owners recommend it then I'd take their advice but HKS are a premium brand too. Sure, FI systems are **** off expensive but in the motoring world you get what you pay for

I agree with you about the engines and FML, 10.5k RPM? Jaysus.

That's quite a decent idea with the red stripes!
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I fitted to this to my car:-

I don't think it added any power but the throttle response is an awful lot better and oh the sound!

The AEM v2 is meant to be slightly better than the K&N FIPK but not enough to justify the cost. Looks good with my Powerhouse Amuse exhaust too!
iwantcheese5
Rep:
?
(Original post by gbduo)
I don't think it added any power but the throttle response is an awful lot better and oh the sound!

The AEM v2 is meant to be slightly better than the K&N FIPK but not enough to justify the cost. Looks good with my Powerhouse Amuse exhaust too!
Does look pretty darn good, the one for the RX-8 isn't very good because the placement is too close to the hot bits.
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Fair enough, does the AEM go into the bumper then like a proper cold air intake? Be careful of large puddles...
iwantcheese5
Rep:
?
(Original post by gbduo)
Fair enough, does the AEM go into the bumper then like a proper cold air intake? Be careful of large puddles...
Yea it sits in front of the radiator so need to be a bit careful but not insanely so I think.
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ah fair, you have to be really careful in the S as it sits really low and it doesn't take much to hydrolock it....

I have a decat on order, going to be getting rid of that pesky cat next week, then my dual full titanium exhaust will sing!
iwantcheese5
Rep:
?
(Original post by gbduo)
Ah fair, you have to be really careful in the S as it sits really low and it doesn't take much to hydrolock it....

I have a decat on order, going to be getting rid of that pesky cat next week, then my dual full titanium exhaust will sing!
I'm very tempted to get a decat, I've just got back from ragging the nuts off my car over the Alps repeatedly and it's sounding rather worse for wear but the exhaust is sounding properly ASBO-ish

Gonna have to shell out for a lot of consumable components, but I'll probably use it as a chance to upgrade a few spots.

Recent photo:

Alps Car HDR 1 by iwantcheese5, on Flickr
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (140)
18.45%
No (459)
60.47%
Not really bothered about them (160)
21.08%

Watched Threads