Turn on thread page Beta

Bands you think should be much bigger than they are/were watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rfoot)
    I've been meaning to listen to Japan for a while, because of Barbieri (I'm a bit of a Porcupine Tree fanboy). Best album to start with?
    They are fantastic. The thing with Japan is that they had different sounds at different parts of their career. They started off being quite guitar based and more glam rock, then changed to introduce more synthesisers and keyboards to sound more electronic, also bringing in aspects of oriental music too. For the former I'd suggest Adolescent Sex and for the latter I'd say Tin Drum, which is my personal favourite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Other than those, my favourites are probably:
    Thanks a lot for all the links!
    Personally I prefer the cleaner sounds though, like TTNG and colour and so on, easier on the ear I find

ReputationRep:
    VV Brown, Melanie Fiona, Uffie, Santigold, M.I.A, Lykki Li, Sia, Massive Attack, Yelle, Teairra Mari, Richgirl, Chester French.

Though, if I think about it, sometimes it's best when some really good artists you like aren't the most massive in mainstream. Think about it; if they suddenly were, their songs could well get overplayed on the radio to the point you're sick of them, they'd be too overexposed on tabloids for all sorts of things like a lot of current celebs are, and their songs could turn mediocre and too mainstream. Do you get what I mean? For example, I'm a big fan of people like Rihanna and Lady Gaga, but even they can annoy me sometimes with how overexposed they are in the media. But I suppose if you're a big enough fan of someone, none of this would really matter much? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miike1234)
    What bands do you think should be much bigger than they actually are? I thought this thread might be good for discovering some great new bands, so post the ones you think we should all be listening to.

My personal favourite is Nizlopi, you've probably all heard their JCB song but they're so much more than that. They've got a few albums which have some of the best songs I've ever heard.

Here's one of their songs called Freedom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66dXHCCyQIw

Let me know if you like them.
    THIS.
    THIS.
    THISSSSS!
    and blue october ;D
    but really, THIS.

ReputationRep:
    Johnny Foreigner <<<check them out

ReputationRep:
    99% of the best bands to exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Gutsy)
    This.

Oh, and Sun Ra. That dude was a genius.

He may not be big in the "pop culture" that dominates most young people's music tastes, but among music fans, musicians and jazz aficionados he's very well known....

But, he is an absolutely fantastic wide-ranging and talented musician.... love his music.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester Orchestra, Brand New and Kevin Devine. And all the grey areas in between
    The Narrative

I also think that people should give the new Hellogoodbye album a listen...not at ALL like the old stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Vinterland, their sound was awesome, really different to the other black metals acts that were around at the same time. They had a more melodic vibe with a bit of a gothic feel to it, which hasn't really been done as well as they did it since. I only found them by sheer luck and I'm glad I did.

Shame they only did one album and thats its so rare that its not on itunes and that it costs stupid amounts of money on ebay if you can find them.

ReputationRep:
    The stand out Edinburgh band from the 1980s, they should have been much bigger than their Scottish following, appeared to manage to fall out/fall out of favour/ self destruct with all their record contracts/themselves, who were awesome live with a really loyal Scottish following but from memory only got I think two singles into the charts.

They were:

Martin Metcalfe

John Duncan

Fin Wilson

Derek Kelly

Rona Scobie

Shirley Manson (later with Garbage)

The one

The only

Goodbye Mr Mackenzie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWQNb...eature=related

ReputationRep:
    There was a band called Jakobínarína who split up in 2008. They released one LP, The First Crusade. I thought it was an amazing indie punk album. Shame they disbanded.

ReputationRep:
    I like Matchbox20 and think there very underrated

ReputationRep:
    Himsa
    Sylosis
    Hopesfall
    Brother Von Doom
    For The Fallen Dreams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Sorry for continuing to spam you, but if you like the softer sound, then maybe American Football would be right up your street:
    Don't worry about it hehe
    Thanks to you I've found another good sound, cheers!

ReputationRep:
    the faceless

dream theater

ReputationRep:
    Opeth, Hundred Reasons, James, Billy Talent.....................

ReputationRep:
    Animal Collective
    Grizzly Bear
    Warpaint
    Deerhunter

ReputationRep:
    Stereophonics should be bigger than they are

ReputationRep:
    Feeder. They are ten times the band Oasis ever were.

ReputationRep:
    reuben. absolutely amazing band.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.