Right Wing or Left Wing Watch

Golly-Gosh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
neither are good for the country. Lib Dems are a joke! and the conservative only care about the rich white people, so neither hold the value Britain stands for.
im in the middle about the whole thing.
The Patriot
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm centre with a right leaning. Ultimately it makes little difference these days seeing as we are in an era of consensus politics over many key issues.
Oswy
Badges: 13
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CandyFlipper)
I'm socially left, economically right - saying just "left" or "right" is too simple, politics is more complicated than that, at the very least you should seperate social policy from economics.
Given that economic relations shape the limits of social ones, being economically 'right' severely diminishes any putative commitment to 'left' leaning social values. As I've already suggested in a recent post, 'freedom' to starve as an economic 'principle' is hardly affected by a 'leftist' sounding caveat that such starvation would not be prejudiced by your religion, ethnicity or sexual orientation.
assassin's_creed
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, I am Ralph Wiggum
Don't you need two wings to fly?
The Patriot
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Golly-Gosh)
neither are good for the country. Lib Dems are a joke! and the conservative only care about the rich white people, so neither hold the value Britain stands for.
im in the middle about the whole thing.
wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong
PendulumBoB
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SophiaKeuning)
It wasn't a disaster. Of course things went wrong, we had a world recession. But under Labours government some truly brilliant things have happened for the working class that would never have occurred under any other party. You wouldn't understand though.

Left. Obviously. **** the Tories.

Both sides can cause great damage, but the left can also do great good.
I'm sorry about the negative rep; people really should think more our recession started in the sub prime assetts of UK banks in US markets. What was the labour government meant to do tie the banks down with regualtion. No, that would make the economic booms less good (Unless done with genious levels of management). Germany has a right wing government and they were badly affected.
lacelicker
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by J.M.B)
Better

They needed taking down a couple of pegs, Thatcher like most of the population realised they were holding the county to ransom. Scargill and his ilk were dangerous and we should be glad that the Conservative government of the time gave them a good smashing.
I'm not saying that the alternative is fantastic, but unions are important, other whys workers have no one to look out for them! Better over zealous unions, than a destroying and manipulating government!
Teaddict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lacelicker)
In my opinion, a right wing government, that tries to cut the benefits of SOME of society's most vulnerable, that conceders selling off the NHS is not a fair one - it was the labour party that started the welfare state, and the NHS - do you genuinely think that had we had a Tory government for the last 100 years we still would have the welfare state and the NHS,
It was Thatcher that closed the mines, stopped free school milk, tried to stop unions - hardly what you'd call fair .....
Yeah, just as subjective and opinionated as I expected.

Food for thought: Aid isn't what helped those in poverty in other countres. Trade did. Another example: Benefits don't help people out of poverty. Hard work does.

To be ideologically attached to the NHS is pure blindness. The NHS may have served it's purpose well back "in the good ol' days" but now a days it's a bureaucracy and is quite honestly not a great method of providing health care.

The World Health Organisation ranks countries for the level of overall healthcare. France came first. They have a partially privatised system. Singapore has a fantastic system. That is mainly privatised. To suggest that privatisation is instantly bad is foolish and to tie yourself to a nationalised industry unquestionably is also stupid.

Thatcher may have closed some mines but they would have been forced to close regardless of whether Thatcher was prime minister. She just made it happen slightly quicker.

Stopping the unions was necessary and it was Thatchers determination to curtail the power of the unions that kept her in office. Remember that Thatcher was NEVER voted out of public office by the public. The trade unions needed to be put down and she delivered it and rightly so.

You belong in the 1970s if you think the Unions should be that powerful. Your creed lost the battle decades ago.
lacelicker
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Teaddict)
Yeah, just as subjective and opinionated as I expected.

Food for thought: Aid isn't what helped those in poverty in other countres. Trade did. Another example: Benefits don't help people out of poverty. Hard work does.

To be ideologically attached to the NHS is pure blindness. The NHS may have served it's purpose well back "in the good ol' days" but now a days it's a bureaucracy and is quite honestly not a great method of providing health care.

The World Health Organisation ranks countries for the level of overall healthcare. France came first. They have a partially privatised system. Singapore has a fantastic system. That is mainly privatised. To suggest that privatisation is instantly bad is foolish and to tie yourself to a nationalised industry unquestionably is also stupid.

Thatcher may have closed some mines but they would have been forced to close regardless of whether Thatcher was prime minister. She just made it happen slightly quicker.

Stopping the unions was necessary and it was Thatchers determination to curtail the power of the unions that kept her in office. Remember that Thatcher was NEVER voted out of public office by the public. The trade unions needed to be put down and she delivered it and rightly so.
You belong in the 1970s if you think the Unions should be that powerful. Your creed lost the battle decades ago.
Just as unconsidered an answer as I expected, from an ignorant source!

I don't think that I be lone in the 1970's, perhaps I do, but I don't think so, I just think I have certain beliefs because of my upbringing, and just because I'm me!

I do cling onto the NHS, I think it is a wonderfull institution, that we can never truly appreciate until we have been saved from the brink, I know people who have had their lives saved by the NHS, and received treatment that they could never have afforded had they had to pay.

Getting rid of the trade unions is not a good thing, perhaps they were getting too powerful, but they are still needed, to protect and look after the workers.

And the coal mines may have closed, but they would have closed in good time, they wouldn't have shut, leaving thousands high and dry!

Look, lets be honest, I'm not going to change your opinion, you won't change mine ... Can we not agree to disagree?
loki276
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Centre right. Economically right socially left
Golly-Gosh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by S129439)
wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong

Right.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

I don't think that I be lone in the 1970's, perhaps I do, but I don't think so, I just think I have certain beliefs because of my upbringing, and just because I'm me!

I do cling onto the NHS, I think it is a wonderfull institution, that we can never truly appreciate until we have been saved from the brink, I know people who have had their lives saved by the NHS, and received treatment that they could never have afforded had they had to pay.

Getting rid of the trade unions is not a good thing, perhaps they were getting too powerful, but they are still needed, to protect and look after the workers.

And the coal mines may have closed, but they would have closed in good time, they wouldn't have shut, leaving thousands high and dry!

Look, lets be honest, I'm not going to change your opinion, you won't change mine ... Can we not agree to disagree?
In regards to the coalmines, they were a failing industry which was being heavily subsidised by the state. Shutting them down was the correct thing to economically.
Acerbic
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lib Dems are not left-wing, and are not diluting tory policy.
lacelicker
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
In regards to the coalmines, they were a failing industry which was being heavily subsidised by the state. Shutting them down was the correct thing to economically.
Oh granted, they would have had to close eventually, I just think the way that she did it was abominable, and destroyed a lot of people's worlds!
Teaddict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes the World Health Organisation is a disgrace.

... care to specify what source is ignorant?

Judging by your comment, you seem to believe that militant trade unionism is justified - if that is the case, you belong in the 1970s. The trade unions were unaccountable and undemocratic and yet they tore down democratically elected governments - that is a terrible situation that Margaret Thatcher resolved and rightly so.

Yes the NHS has helped people, however, why should we settle for second best? Although the National Health Service is quite good at preventative medicine, overall it isn't a fantastic service. By the way, don't assume that I advocate an American system - I find the American system even worse.

Whereas the overall level of healthcare is better, the fact that it isn't available for the poor is unjustifiable.

We still have trade unions - but rightfully their power and influence was massively curtailed. I think that even today the trade unions go too far - the BA strikes were nonsense. That wasn't about an abusive employer, it was about sound business practices that were against the vest interests of very well paid staff.

They would have shut regardless. They were very expensive and given the economic situation that the then Conservative government had to deal with, they rightfully closed many of them.

Where is the fun in that?

I was discussing nuclear power with a greeny earlier today. Both of us were set in our beliefs but it was a bloody good and fun debate.
J.M.B
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Economically: Laissez-faire/Conservative
Socially: Liberal

Overall I'd say I lie somewhere between liberal conservatism and libertarianism.
J.M.B
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not saying that the alternative is fantastic, but unions are important, other whys workers have no one to look out for them! Better over zealous unions, than a destroying and manipulating government!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpdbEK3E4U8
EggmanD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A humane, moral and logical perspective where such idiotic phrases that tie me to certain stereotypes and opinions are meaningless.
The Patriot
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Golly-Gosh)
Right.
I'm sorry but it is just wrong. Of course the party used to be that way, but it is not like that anymore.
Llamageddon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Perhaps? Are you serious?

They brought democratically elected governments to their knees, forced (I stress the point) members to strike even when they had a hungry family and needed to work. They turned the UK into the "sick man of Europe". I think worker rights are important and that workers need to have an institution to negotiate on their behalf, but during the 70's they were completely irresponsible and destructive. There's no "perhaps" about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (230)
27.64%
No (602)
72.36%

Watched Threads