Turn on thread page Beta

Jokes about the Japan Tsunami? :( watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Most messages on mine were like, "my heart goes out to all those n Japan" type things...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles0ox)
    Is anyone else getting really annoyed at people's facebook status' etc. with jokes about the japan tsunami, or is everyone else's facebook friends just a lot more respectful than mine

Today ive seen at least 20 'jokes' about it and its really bugging me

Whats worse is when people are like: omg its because the poles are shifting, the world going to end in 2012 and its due to global warming :facepalm:
    yeah sure. i heard this one from a lawyer yesterday. she was quite pissed about it too. i wonder why you care though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lily Academia)
    And yet also the kind of person who is racist, sexist, crude, and who will most likely end up in prison.
    See you never said he was any of those things. You just told us he was a thicko.

ReputationRep:
    The **** ain't funny. Over 10,000 people expected to be found dead, how can you laugh about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    See you never said he was any of those things. You just told us he was a thicko.
    I know I didn't. But he is. He really, truly is.

The day I no longer have to sit behind him in Spanish will be one to rejoice.

ReputationRep:
    i just dont like it when people are linking the earthquake to the end of the world :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Not always, depends on the joke and the person it's being told to. Also, to be fair, jokes don't work if the subject is too close to the people. Obviously it does require some distance. However, for instance, I regularly made "your mum" jokes to my mate who had only lost his mother a few months before and he was more thankful than anything. Anecdotal and thus worth jack-****, but as I said above, there are enough studies backing the point of view I'm putting forward that I'm not too worried.
    I'm not questioning about jokes as a coping mechanism. Yes, like you said, it depends on the joke and the person it's being told to. I'm talking about people who are insensitive and just say the joke without any thought of the other side's feelings/ views. It's only one of many coping mechanisms you are all about. In your mate's case, s/he has accepted s/he lost her/his mum. But the tsunami only happened 4 days ago and obviously the Japanse hasn't gotten over it just yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cezz_18)
    I'm not questioning about jokes as a coping mechanism. Yes, like you said, it depends on the joke and the person it's being told to. I'm talking about people who are insensitive and just say the joke without any thought of the other side's feelings/ views. It's only one of many coping mechanisms you are all about. In your mate's case, s/he has accepted s/he lost her/his mum. But the tsunami only happened 4 days ago and obviously the Japanse hasn't gotten over it just yet.
    It's not the Japanese telling the jokes. That's the point you're ignoring.

ReputationRep:
    Human tragedy and devastation on such a large scale is not something to laugh about. If it was the UK that had been hit and your family and friends were dead or missing, you were homeless and your life was basically destroyed, would you like to think that the Japanese were laughing about it? To all the people saying "my heart goes out to them but the jokes are funny": unless you have personally donated money towards the various appeals then I don't think you really have a right to laugh about it. The Japanese certainly aren't.

ReputationRep:
    For once today, my Holocaust jokes weren't the most tasteless thing in school

ReputationRep:
    It's not the Japanese telling the jokes. That's the point you're ignoring.
    I'm kinda lost with this. Which point exactly? I never said that it's the Japanese saying all the thoughtless jokes. I said insensitive people and that doesn't equate to Japanese.

ReputationRep:

So, you're saying that only those who suffer the most deserve coping mechanisms? What's next: rape victims get counselling, but assault victims don't because they haven't been as seriously affected? Psh, that's all I have to say to that mentality.

Well yes? It's not black and white, and it's hard to draw a line between rape and assault because each individual is different, but surely in general suffering is proportional to the amount of comforting you require after? I don't need to be a psychologist to understand that the tsunami in JAPAN has deeper implications for those living in JAPAN, than those living in Britain. The government's hardly going to increase funding for counselling for British people who are traumatised by this are they? Our suffering isn't comparable to what Japanese people are feeling at the moment.

How do you know exactly how those youths feel about the situation or how it's affecting them mentally and spiritually? Like I said, you're arguing in the face of research that's been conducted since the late 19th century and has stood the test of time.
    I get an impression of how youths are feeling because if they were affected mentally and spiritually, they wouldn't post such things to cope. I simply cannot accept that British and American people are joking to ease the pain, maybe I'm ignorant. However...

The jokes that arose around 7/7 didn't focus so much on the event itself but were more racist based. There was a sudden influx of Muslim jokes around that time, more than before, especially those connected with suicide bombings, etc.. Much like the jokes about Japan don't discuss the situation overtly, but just make passing reference to it.
    I fully appreciate the studies that have gone into this topic, and I agree that jokes are a coping mechanism in this scenario, because they condemn those who are thought to be responsible, they take our minds off the horrible damage inflicted underground and give us someone to blame.
    The jokes about the tsunami do not ridicule nature, the ones who are responsible. They are simply derogatory and rude. They mock and play on the fact that Japanese people can't pronounce "w" (which isn't even true, get it right), they play on the fact that there's a huge supply of dead potential Japanese girlfriends in the sea, they play on the fact that Japan introduced Pokemon, therefore the creator of Pokemon MUST be dead. Hilarious.

I'm aware that a large part of this is how I personally feel, so I don't know the psychology behind this at all and until I do so, I accept that my points aren't valid for you, so let's stop. Friends? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cezz_18)
    I'm kinda lost with this. Which point exactly? I never said that it's the Japanese saying all the thoughtless jokes. I said insensitive people and that doesn't equate to Japanese.
    That the jokes are the coping mechanism for those telling them, and possibly those hearing them. Thus, the Japanese really don't matter that much, as humans are invariably selfish.

The Japanese might find them offensive, but various coping mechanisms are found offensive by people, self-harm being a good example. It's not up to you or anyone else to cast judgement upon others for how they cope, especially as it's such a common method around the world.

I bet the Japanese will be using their own type of humour to cope even now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlibByNature)
    I'm aware that a large part of this is how I personally feel, so I don't know the psychology behind this at all and until I do so, I accept that my points aren't valid for you, so let's stop. Friends? :cool:
    Sure, I'm cool with that.

Do check out Elliot Olring, though. Not only is it an interesting read, he's also a really good writer for an academic.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I'm more indifferent but one of my friend took to some jokes very much to heart earlier (she's not Japanese). I haven't seen any on facebook though, but a guy in lectures was talking about the Japanese banks being "under water" and needing some "shaking up".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sasukekun)
    This
    This. Do these ignorant fools honestly think dropping two atomic bombs wasn't punishment enough? Disgusting how people think it's okay to come out with such horrible statements.

ReputationRep:
    That the jokes are the coping mechanism for those telling them, and possibly those hearing them. Thus, the Japanese really don't matter that much, as humans are invariably selfish.

The Japanese might find them offensive, but various coping mechanisms are found offensive by people, self-harm being a good example. It's not up to you or anyone else to cast judgement upon others for how they cope, especially as it's such a common method around the world.

I bet the Japanese will be using their own type of humour to cope even now.
    Come on, not all those jokers need to cope with anything at all. They are only telling jokes for the sake of it and are being insensitive. Some don't even give a damn and horrifyingly find this tragedy funny. I'm not judging anyone about their coping mechanisms, its not proper to mention, but I say it anyways that I do know someone who has done self harming. Back to the main subject, it's not just the Japanese who will find some of the jokes offensive. Jokes vary in their extent, some are so racist and just wrong. And I am not doubting the Japanese's capability of coping which may or may not be humorous.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1575386

Topical to this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cynthi007)
    I don´t see a difference between typical British humour, e.g. sarcasm and jokes about the situation there. Explain please.
    Sarcasm is mimicking the tone/language you'd use when you take something seriously. Because the mimicry is overdone, people realise you really don't take it seriously at all - and the implication is that the something isn't worth taking seriously.

****, overdone example:
    Ho: Omg omg omg I must have those shoes right now, I can't last another second without them!
    Bro: You'd better be careful, footwear deprivation is one of the fastest rising causes of death in our society.

Jokes about a natural disaster are played like normal jokes: taking something that is worth taking seriously and, well, not taking it seriously. With time this becomes more acceptable, but a few days after the disaster, well, that just makes you a premier cut dickwad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles0ox)
    Is anyone else getting really annoyed at people's facebook status' etc. with jokes about the japan tsunami, or is everyone else's facebook friends just a lot more respectful than mine

Today ive seen at least 20 'jokes' about it and its really bugging me

Whats worse is when people are like: omg its because the poles are shifting, the world going to end in 2012 and its due to global warming :facepalm:
    This is the internet, you seriously didn't expect this? You'd better stay away from sickipedia...

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.