When I look at the Royal Family I realise that I will be a peasant till I die Watch

The medjai
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Broderss)
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Prison Break
*Hakz*
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lamps08)
Cool, im uber jelly. I'm swaying more towards a murcielago theyre so damn bad ass.
Rolls Royce Phantom, anyday.
Miss_Scarlett
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lamps08)
Cool, im uber jelly. I'm swaying more towards a murcielago theyre so damn bad ass.
I love cars, not just because of the materialistic value...I just love the engineering and talking about the stats. Most guys find it weird that I probably know more about the torque than they do

But yeh for me it would be the LP700 when it comes out or the LP570-4 Spyder...or moving away from lambo for a minute, the Ferarri 599 :coma:

Though if looking badass is your aim, Id go Pagani Zonda loll
NaturalDisaster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't want to be part of the royal family, I really wouldn't. The lack of privacy and the pressure from the media would drive me insane. I couldn't handle it. I can't say I haven't fantasised about being a successful actress from time to time, but when it all comes down to it I want to be able to live my own life and not have it dictated by the media. I'm happy for William and Kate, I don't see why I shouldn't be happy for any couple getting married unless one of them is an absolute scumbag, but I don't envy Kate at all.

I didn't really care about the wedding one way or another, but I ended up watching parts of it and spent the entire time spotting really ordinary, mundane things about it. Did anyone notice they had fold-up chairs for half of the guests in Westminster Abbey? I loved it!! So normal. :lol: I thought it was really nice that there was loads of people watching the royal wedding. There's so much s*** going on in the world right now that I think we needed a good old party. I'd like to be well off, sure, but insanely rich? No. I'd be determined to get rid of it as soon as I could by donating it, spending it, or even just throwing it at people on the street. I'd be like "I have too much money, take it away from me!" I know it sounds really cheesy and cliche, but I just want to be happy and be able to enjoy my life. Caught myself wishing I was Emma Watson the other day, until I reminded myself that I have friends I would have never met if I'd had her life, so that stopped me being jealous. :lol: I honestly hope that Kate and William are happy together, they looked happy today anyway.
A level Az
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There is no reason why we can't all try to be the "1%" you mention. I won't give up as easily as you.
SpiritedAway
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dioscuri)
Try being happy when you have no money or no power.
I think the grand majority of students have no money or power and are still happy. The thing it, the OP makes a comparison with the royal family, but look at it this way: they will never have the opportunity to be anything different. They don't get the opportunity to be young, stupid and reckless without the rest of the country tutting, it was hard enough for the 2 brothers to go into the army, never mind choosing a "normal" career. Can you imagine one of the royals becoming a secondory school teachers or cashier at a bank? :no:. Even if they didn't want to, they'll never get that opportunity.

I mean we have it so lucky. Most of us are born with a clean slate, so we can aim to become the person we want to be. Yes, we might have "some" restrictions i.e. money, religious, etc. reasons. But at the end of the day, it doesn't stop you having a goal and going for it.
wasteman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
if life gives you lemons make lemonade

do the best of what you can with what you have
Lamps08
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
I love cars, not just because of the materialistic value...I just love the engineering and talking about the stats. Most guys find it weird that I probably know more about the torque than they do

But yeh for me it would be the LP700 when it comes out or the LP570-4 Spyder...or moving away from lambo for a minute, the Ferarri 599 :coma:

Though if looking badass is your aim, Id go Pagani Zonda loll
I appreciate theyre beauty too you know I would crash the pagani, already I do on forza 3 on my 360. My neighbour had a SV Murcielago; back is sexy
wanderlust.xx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To all the people who think all this is just keeping your heads in the clouds; take sense to fools and they call you foolish.
The Cornerstone
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Broderss)
X
I'm finding that I'm agreeing with most of your posts tonight!!! :zomg:
Saoirse:3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't be a slave to society, on somber days like this it may seem as though the lucky, wealthy and succesful have all the power, but it doesn't have to be that way, and it won't always be that way. Collectivly, the 'lower' classes can rise up, demand their fair share, seek an end to this world where success is given instead of earned, and the population work for the reward and benefit of the multinational coorperations. Be part of that change. We can change the world into a better place, and we will. The fire has started burning.
Theconomist
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Feudalism is another version of slavery.
helen.allan123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by slavetosociety)
Such wealth and power is something we can only dream of.
Sure, we could aquire this type of wealth through entrprenuerial means but to be honest you gotta be really lucky - thats why only a few out of a billion make it big.

Don't give me that bull**** that everyone has an equal chance - thats the kind of false hope we are filled with in our day to day lives whether it be auditioning for the Xfactor or expecting to win the lottery.

As far as I know, I won't ever make it big, and neither will 99% of you lot. The 1% will simply exploit us and live of our hard work. When I look at the Royal Family/rich people I realise that I will just be a peasant for the rest of my life stuck in a dead in end job.

Maybe it is down to luck, or maybe its just down to cruel calculating chance.
some rich people aren't magically rich like you make it sound. my grandad was brought up in the east end of london and his family were so poor he slept on a kitchen table with his brothers and sisters. He became a plumber and then set up his own pipe company to provide pipes for the sewers in london (where there's muck there's brass). He went from poor to pretty wealthy. there an example that it can be done. just gotta go do it! aim high. also wee hint people who think they will win the lottery are stupid (statistically more likely to get murdered and xfactor? reli? it's crap who'd want to make money from singing **** songs and beocming a z lister celeb??
No Man
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The getting as much publicity as the Royal Family would drive me insane to be honest.
dioscuri
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PaperSnowAGhost!)
It helps you achieve happiness, but it cannot buy you happiness.

How do you think people felt after wars and revolutions when they lost everything but still had the ones they loved. Did they sit down and say to their loved ones oh **** off, we are poor and powerless now, might as well go die in a hole because we lost everything.

If that were true, our society would be so different right now.
Some people get happiness from money that others get from relationships. Not everyone has the same levels of need for deep emotional contact with others, in fact many people go through their whole lives never feeling emotion above a certain level, while others go through their entire lives always feeling above that level. It would be wrong to suggest that happiness is something beyond material things, because for many it isn't.
dioscuri
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SpiritedAway)
I think the grand majority of students have no money or power and are still happy. The thing it, the OP makes a comparison with the royal family, but look at it this way: they will never have the opportunity to be anything different. They don't get the opportunity to be young, stupid and reckless without the rest of the country tutting, it was hard enough for the 2 brothers to go into the army, never mind choosing a "normal" career. Can you imagine one of the royals becoming a secondory school teachers or cashier at a bank? :no:. Even if they didn't want to, they'll never get that opportunity.

I mean we have it so lucky. Most of us are born with a clean slate, so we can aim to become the person we want to be. Yes, we might have "some" restrictions i.e. money, religious, etc. reasons. But at the end of the day, it doesn't stop you having a goal and going for it.
On the contrary, students have lots of power. They are physically healthy, able to largely do what they want and have lots of time ahead of them, it is a period of self determination for many.

I think in terms of oppertunity what you suggest is rather weird. Why on earth would anyone want a job at all if it wasn't for the money. If I had a load of money I wouldn't work at all, they'd be no need for me to waste my life providing a service for somebody else, as all my service is, is a means for me to service myself (buy me things).

I don't get the person we want to be. Anyone can be the person they want to be, royals included, unless you are defining 'person' as a reflection of career choice or whatever. There has never been a goal in my life that wasn't a means to an end for an easy self deterministic life where I can feel good. If I had the money to do what I wanted, why would I set goals. I'd simply do what felt good.

The Royals can be as young and stupid as they want. The very fact that the papers only hear about minor things shows that the royal family do a very good job of hushing things up. They live in self contained circles, where everyone knows everything about everybody else, but no one outside the circle knows.
Aeroman1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PaperSnowAGhost!)
Money and Power does not equal happiness.
This thread should have ended here.
MyDadIsCalledJawad
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nigel9)
In Brighton everyones a queen
Best comment that's ever been posted on TSR.
Greenlaner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I actually quite like being a "simple peasant". I certainly wouldnt want to be subjected to the public scrutiny that the Royals are constantly under. I would have to give up my life of sin and vice. :rolleyes:

Money is nice, but there is far more to life than wealth. I pitty people who dont realise this.
Emor
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't know why people find money such a defining factor in their lives. I'm guessing because it's the only thing that's quantifiable. I don't feel that it directly correlates to anything though really. Most people who are 'rich' work intensively anyway and are work-o-holics(word?)(maybe I'm watching too much TV though).

I honestly don't really think it matters. Today anyway. There's nothing really special about being royalty, literally. Just a lot of formalities. I doubt they actually spend much money(relative to how much they actually have) on materialistic items anyway tbh.

Which isn't what it's about, obviously, it's about status. Which brings me back to my initial point, why is money used to define status? It gets to a point where it's all just numbers with no practical applications really.

I'd be happy with a medium-salary job, and don't aspire to earn anymore than that. Though I'd like a career but it wouldn't be my entire identity.

EMZ=]
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (219)
39.32%
No - but I will (38)
6.82%
No - I don't want to (37)
6.64%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (263)
47.22%

Watched Threads