Is this a racist comment/ what does it mean? Watch

ForKicks
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am confused..this thread has now split into 2 topics right?
101flyboy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Leonie01)
erm it wasnt about queer being used as an insult. it was about the other guy saying straight ppl arent allowed to use the term queer but gay ppl are and claiming it would be on the same level as ****** and the n word. please follow up on the conversation before you lecture me.

i also didnt claim there was an increase of gay slurs, i said the term " gay" is increasingly used as an insult, for example as a synonym for bad/rubbish.
Straight people are allowed to use the term if used appropriately, or not at all. The same applies for gay people. When used as a pejorative, it is on the same level as any other offensive slur.

Gay is not increasingly used as an insult, the usage of this in an insulting way has decreased, but is still prevalent enough where it's an issue. But that is changing with increased awareness and education.
101flyboy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sweat.it.out)
You're upset about being seen as cheerful, peppy and flamboyant? Those words just strike me as fun tbh. You've also just proved my point about the word evolving. Being a homosexual and being happy are seperate entities entirely. Just like being a homosexual and something being stupid/silly/annoying etc are seperate entities. Just like being 'overheated' and being 'attractive' aka 'hot', are seperate entities.

No, words aren't anyone's property. It might have relevance to the gay community fair enough, and I'm not saying that that should change, but it is also allowed to be used by other people.

How is context ever irrelevant? If I said 'It was my birthday yesterday, I was so gay' would you lash out at me for being homophobic?

This argument is so pointless. No one owns language, it is always changing, it will always change, you cannot stop it, you can only move with it. 'Queer' can sometimes be seen as offensive, but not always. You're being oversensitive, end of.
No, I'm upset with a word that the gay community was tagged with, and have claimed, is now supposedly not really about them at all, when it is about them, and has always been about them as long as they been labeled gay. The word didn't evolve. The connections to gay=homosexual and gay=happy intertwined. Gay=stupid does not intertwine. It's simply using gay as an insult because of homophobia which leads to people believing homosexuality is bad. Your other analogies aren't valid because this is about a word with social and personal concepts and connections.

I wouldn't lash out at a person using gay if they didn't use it in an offensive way. Using it as a pejorative is homophobic in nature. The person may not be homophobic, but the action is, because the word is in that nature.

I'm not being oversensitive. I'm standing up for not allowing a word that people identify as, to be seen as a pejorative when it isn't. It's pretty simple, if you want to call something stupid, say stupid. There isn't any argument, just find a different word to use, and stop trivializing the feelings of GAY PEOPLE.
Leonie01
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 101flyboy)
Straight people are allowed to use the term if used appropriately, or not at all. The same applies for gay people. When used as a pejorative, it is on the same level as any other offensive slur.

Gay is not increasingly used as an insult, the usage of this in an insulting way has decreased, but is still prevalent enough where it's an issue. But that is changing with increased awareness and education.
Your first paragraph just repeats what i have already said and what i have argued with that other person so i am not quite sure why you just repeated what i said. However i disagree with you that all terms are on the same level of offensiveness. I think with some words there is no doubt about them being a slur no matter the context (for example ******, that just isnt a neutral term/positive term ever). Queer however can be regarded in many different ways. But i guess this is a personal perspective.

Of course gay is increasingly used as an insult/sth negative. When i was in school no one ever used gay to describe sth bad, it has really just been used like that within the last 10 years and found its way into common usage esp. by teenagers. The main problem here is that many people dont even understand how what they do is wrong bc (just like the other person here) they dont see the connection. Since gay is in general deemed a neutral term, many think it is alright to use this term no matter the context or different meaning they give it.
imperial maniac
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Even if he was making a racist joke, would you go and tell a superior like some sort of tool?
Zafda
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I was speaking to someone yesterday at work and he was talking about a colleague who is black (African). At the time I didn't think about what was being said and I was distracted and only half listening (I'm living in my own little world at the moment) and I don't really pay much attention to the world around me. Anyway he said to me "oh she's gone upstairs. I think she is feeling a bit dehydrated." I just said 'oh ok' and didn't think anything of it (I just assumed she went for a drink!!) but then he said 'do you know what I mean?' and looked at me for longer than someone usually would. What does this mean? I don't think she actually went to get a drink (I saw her somewhere else) and I'm not sure what he meant by this comment. Is this a common racist expression that I am unaware of? My colleague who said this is white and so am I and I know for a fact that he does not like her. So am I reading too much into this? If it was just a harmless comment, its a bit of a strange thing to say. But If it is racist then should I tell a superior and how?
apologies if this has been said already, maybe he was commenting on her being really skinny.. dehydrated? probably an insult nevertheless.

i'm one of these people that if i hear once someone say something bad about a friend/colleague, i ignore it incase i misheard/misinterpreted it.. but if they say snide things again and again i'd probably just point it out to them and be like, do you realise what you are saying... and if it gets hurtful to the point the other party does find out or it has an effect on them and their work, then i'll point it out.

if you're really stuck about what to do, no harm in getting advice from someone who is above you.

however you need to keep in mind, everyone has an opinion about everyone, some people like expressing it and others dont. i personally don't like to express negative things about people because of the trouble it can get you into, so unless he is saying something that she finds out about or is conspiring about her, not much you can tell him to do. if you'd prefer for him to not speak bad things about her to you, just tell him!

wow essayyyyyyy
neny
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was just wondering; the word "gay" has evolved from "happy" to mean "homosexual". Everybody was fine with that. It seems now that it has also evolved to mean "silly, rubbish or annoying". Is that not fine?

Is it right to use the word "gay" to describe something rubbish and play the evolution card?

Kinda' confused..
Warrior King
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What?
SQ918
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think it is.

Honestly, the thing with Black African people and South Asians is that they find everything racist like celebrating St. George's Day? I mean are English people not allowed to celebrate their 'national day' just because ethnic minorities find it 'racist'?

Americans celebrate the 4th of July and there are no reports of any racisim act.

In fact, Black people and South Asians are more racist than white people and other races.

Get this, if there was a school that is ORIGINALLY exclusive for white people but ethnic minorities are present because if the population will be just white then it will be forced to shut down so the school has to be forced to accept backgrounds from ethnic minorities, BUT if there was a school next door where 'only black people' are allowed and a white person or asian person tries to apply to get in, the asian and white person islikely to be rejected for no reason.

I am not a hater but I just think that Black people are very racist. They call white people Honkey or Whitey and the white person don't have to do something because if he 'moves' he is racist. BUT if a white person used the word ***** or ****** then he is likely to get killed in less than 5 mins.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise