MEATHEAAAAD!

or

Lad
DrunkenMaster
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I used to think students were pretentious, looked down upon those who were not students (some still behave like that), constantly moaning about how skint they are yet blowing loadsa money on clothes, drinks etc. Oh and rich
IQ Test
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Chemistry students: explosion enthusiasts!
Indian_Princess
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_5uVdy5YmA
visa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
London unis tend to epitomise university culture en masse
SOAS are bohemian indie politically involved hippies.
UCL are SOAS Jr. Most are middle-class and will have taken a gap year to partake in exotic world travels.
LSE and Imperial are the foreign students who work work work.
MilkyC
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Blueflare)
Medics: Work hard and party harder.

At Keele anyway!
I would've thought that medics didn't have as much time to party as others since they're course is notoriously intense.
nunugab
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Is UCL bohemian? That's news to me!
Fusilero
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MilkyC)
I would've thought that medics didn't have as much time to party as others since they're course is notoriously intense.
Hence they party harder in order to get the same level of partying in a shorter space of time.
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nunugab)
Thats the point. Express your prejudices. It might be fun to see what stereotypical views people have of students studying certain subjects. Stop being a douche and read the 1st post.
Exactly, this type of stereotyping is just a bit of fun and I imagine most people enjoy reading the way their own courses get stereotyped by others. I remember one time being on campus, me and a couple of mates were watching people walk past and predicting what course they were doing...eg bearded guy with t shirt featuring obscure message: philosophy, girl trotting around a mini skirt and uggs on a cold day: History of Art. But then one of the other lads who was with us, who was a Law student, and as humourless as you can get, got all moral about it and said "do you think you should be making judgements on people you don't know anything about?" Maybe that's a stereotype of law!
Carnivores
Badges: 1
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sadian)
General - Procrastinate, procrastinate, procrastinate.
LOL I love this.
Cynthi007
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
drunk, immature, one night stands, always ready to party, coffee adicts
MagicNMedicine
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Oliviaonthetrain)
I have to say, *****iness is a thing in a lot of my lit classes... lol. A lot of people are subtly competitive, and looking for ways to undermine others. Not in every case, but I've witnessed it myself as well.
I saw it as the female equivalent of the male-dominated competitiveness you get in economics. But in economics its more overt, like if there was a mid term test and you got marks back out of 30, somebody would get his handed back and start hollering "OOH BABY, 29/30, WHO'S THE DADDY? WHO'S THE DADDY OF GAME THEORY!!" and you just think erm, no you're a tool. But I did see on my girlfriend's English class, they were just as bothered about their place in the 'pecking order' but the competitiveness was done, like you say, in a more subtle way. But sometimes more cutting and *****y.
Aeschylus
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
CAVEAT: THIS IS MERELY MY OWN OPINION AND SHOULD NOT BE SEEN AS DEFINITIVE

Chemistry/Biology: Incredibly studious hard-working don't go out, or the biggest party animals you will ever meet. there is no middle ground

Electronics: Have massive drinking sessions based on Robot Wars. Admittedly this is based on two electronics students but goes with the territory

Engineering students: As close to the stereotypical 'geek' as you can get but then you listen to what they do on a daily basis and kind of get depressed with your life.

Philosophy students: To a man/woman, stoners. Goes with the territory

Medics: Biggest drinkers out there. I went on a medic night out once and I'm pretty certain I took several years off my life. But they all work phenomenally hard. Listening to their daily activities makes me tired.

Law students: Often have an air of superiority about them. Not necessarily a bad thing actually; two really good friends I made in fresher's were two third year law students. Will often quote random jargon to impress and can pick up girls like that. Girl law students are always immaculately and very poshly dressed. Had to go to the law building earlier last term; felt as though I was on the set of Boston Legal.

Maths: The strangest sense of humour you will find. Have a habit of impersonating their lecturers.

Politics: Will talk AT you for ages about politics. Usually very labour (bad), very conservative (worse) or very very lib-dem/green (by far the worst). Trying to convince them of an alternative opinion is impossible

History of Art: Blond, Jack wills girls. Or kooky girls with a very 'indie' fashion sense. Once went to a lecture, wasn't sure if I was in the right room or a catwalk.

History: Bunch of very clever people who will go to great ends to win an argument (wikipedia'ing 4th crusade in the middle of a house party). I don't know if it's exclusive to my university but they have a habit of wanting to show me the length of their bibliography (not a euphemism).

Economics: these vary between being really really nice and me wanting to punch them in the face. The former joke about their degree and are standardly nice, the latter think their degree is superior to anything else out there ever and if you're not doing economics you should kill yourself and have they told you what investment bank they're going to work for??

Computer Science: Might as well be talking in Martian half the time to me. Sometimes I hear the words C++ and latch onto that like a drowning man to a lifebelt to shoehorn an idea into a conversation then feel like a Neanderthal who's wandered into NASA.

Classics: Eccentric, like to drink a lot, wear funny trousers (this is based on one classicist)

English: Either posh girls, posh girls who think they're 'indie' because they once bought the NME, drama geeks, gay (the last two are interchangeable), and miscellaneous (yours truly). However the most awesome people you will ever meet (get the reference).
alexmsf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nunugab)
Computer Science - IMO a vast majority of them are extreme slackers who enjoy whining about how much work they have (though this is a characteristic shared by many students). The weird thing I've noticed about comp sci students is that, from my experience, none of them are particularly interested in new technology! I've never seen a comp sci with an overly advanced phone or an ipad!
That is exactly the reason why you don't see CS students with iPads and iPhones. Because they actually know what useful and innovative technology is. Ever noticed how unpopular Macs are among programmers etc.? CS students prefer customization, open-source and functionality. They don't go for overpriced, "user-friendly", heavily-marketed shiny devices. In many cases, this also holds for many engineers.

tl;dr: CS students don't buy iPhones and iPads because they know better.

Sorry if I sounded arrogant/aggressive, but I am sick of seeing people in my school paying ridiculous amounts of money for "innovative devices". There is a difference between a trend and innovation.

I'll give you that though, you are 100% true about the "lazy" characteristic. It makes sense in a way. Algorithms are used to automate repetitive tasks.

EDIT: By posting this message, I just realised I have already fallen into the "geek" stereotype.
The_Internet
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by alexmsf)
That is exactly the reason why you don't see CS students with iPads and iPhones. Because they actually know what useful and innovative technology is. Ever noticed how unpopular Macs are among programmers etc.? CS students prefer customization, open-source and functionality. They don't go for overpriced, "user-friendly", heavily-marketed shiny devices. In many cases, this also holds for many engineers.

Sorry if I sounded arrogant/aggressive, but I am sick of seeing people in my school paying ridiculous amounts of money for "innovative devices". There is a difference between a trend and innovation.

I'll give you that though, you are 100% true about the "lazy" characteristic. It makes sense in a way. Algorithms are used to automate repetitive tasks.

EDIT: By posting this message, I just realised I have already fallen into the "geek" stereotype.
Definitely true. I think that's more so for networking students as we have the urge to tinker with everything, considering it is more hands on than other forms of Comp Sci. It's true that the stereotype is that we're lazy. As my teacher said "Your ultimate goal is to be paid for drinking coffee, whilst sitting on a chair" which is almost possible if you follow correct procedure. The current things that ultimately holds me back from linux is driver support for essential products ie: my bloody scanner

Computer science students are almost forced to be up to date - this is more so for Games and Network-ers imo, because of the fast pace of the industry(Also, have a look at my sig and the second clip)

Games students are quite easy to spot in all fairness, by their looks. They tend to have curly, and shoulder length hair. They tend to be either quite skinny or chubby; I've never seen an "average looking" games student. They tend to wear "alternative" clothing
The_Internet
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The_Male_Melons)
I hate number 2 people- they do exist.
I don't understand why you can hate someone who has a genuine interest in the subject, and are compassionate for other human beings.
The_Internet
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rugbyladosc)
Sport Science anyone?
From the people I know that want to study sport science. It's seen as an easy route in to "science", where they are promised that they could become a doctor afterwards(If you could become a doctor with a sports science degree, then why study medicine?)

They split in to three different categories(and can overlap)

1. Someone who hasn't met the necessary grades to be able to study any thing else, and believes that sports science is the future for them. They are generally interested in sports, and generally really nice people
2. Chavs/football hooligans. That is self explanatory really(Thankfully they are in the minority)
3. People who are really interested in sports, and want to pursue a career in sport, and may have excellent grades but nothing else will do

In terms of clothes, they'll either wear casual clothes or will wear sport, but not chavvy clothes (ie: football kits in the summer or something, as opposed to tracksuit bottoms all year round)
Jazz.fm
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
how about physics?
IPlayThePiccolo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In Soton you can spot a student by their hoodie. Each department has an amusing innuendo on the back...
nunugab
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by alexmsf)

You're definitely right. Not sure about the open source thing but I guess you'd know better and I have actually never seen a CS student with a mac!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (179)
39.51%
No - but I will (25)
5.52%
No - I don't want to (32)
7.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (217)
47.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise