When is suicide right? Watch

This discussion is closed.
theseeker
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ich Dien)
They are different sides of the same coin.
Different sides absolutely, but 2 very different concepts.
gozatron
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When surrounded by a hord of zombies with no escape.

Bullet to the head or being ripped apart and eaten?

Simple choice really.
Bibbster123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When you're experiencing terminal illness and your family agree it seems the best thing to do.
merryhappy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think suicide is never right, in any form inc euthanaisa.
LaughingBro
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For Mr Smurf - always!
tinshed
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thomas...)
I personally believe that one should only commit suicide when they have a long term terminal illness that is making their lives misery, when they know they will eventually end up a vegetable.
I think people who commit suicide, without warning or comforting loved ones, through depression or heartbreak are, to put it strongly, are selfish cowards.
They leave their parents, brothers, sisters, friends, partners in complete agony, wondering what they did wrong to drive them to commit suicide. They leave them in eternal mourning and worrying 'what if', 'what if I hadn't done that, what if I payed more attention to them'. It leaves people distraught for life, just because they couldn't handle the pressure, and wanted to abort.
Ok, when people are under immense pressure and are severley depressed then I can sympathise, but I hear so many stories of people commiting suicide without consulting and comforting others first. Are they too scared to confront their loved ones?

I am in no way against assisted suicide or suicide when it is done properly, with others in mind. I just wonder what others' views are on the matter of people commiting suicide out of the blue and leaving people lost and distressed.
Thanks for reading.
suicide is a very personal and individual act. you cannot say that a person who commits suicide is a coward. it is a very difficult thing to do with your body's natural instinct to live is working against you.

people commit suicide for different reasons, it even could be that they have no family or friends. and some "vegetables" do actually want to continue living. if a person chooses to go that is their choice. and I do not understand why you think that a healthy person's choice is any different to that of someone who is bed bound. what makes you think that the misery of a fit person who wants to die is any less than the misery of a sick person who wants to die?
Anonymous #3
Report 7 years ago
Ok everyone, it's easy to say NEVER! when you don't understand why people feel the way they do. I thought the exact same, it's never right, until it happened to me and I attempted suicide. Please don't judge people, don't call them 'selfish cowards'.

It's takes so much courage to kill yourself, when you can taste death it is suddenly very scary indeed, being on the edge of oblivion, of eternity. Why do you think people kill themselves? They don't just say "Right today I'm going to die and don't give a **** about what it will do to those I love" They go though months or years of emmense pain and suffering until suicide is just the only way out. It hurt so so so much when I decided to die, knowing what it would do to my family. By far the worst bit, much worse than the seemly endless hell when I hung trying to scream, suffocating, slowing dying dangling from a rope. It was NOTHING in comparison. Knowing how people would judge me for it just made it worse. Please. The vast majority of people who commit suicide have a mental illness which they just can't help that doesn't allow them to think reasonably and rationally. Please. Don't hurt those so scared, suffering, in pain, crying and bleeding any more. Don't judge them or condemn them. HELP THEM!
tinshed
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by muffingg)
Never. Even if you think it is best for you, if you think of your family and friends, they would be the ones suffering. Thinking of my mum and dad I would never even consider suicide just for the reason how they would feel.
that's because you are not miserable.
theseeker
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tinshed)
that's because you are not miserable.
Life is full of challenges.
Cinamon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fire2burn)
It doesn't matter whether you are against it or not, people are still going to do it. Thus having an opinion on it is entirely pointless and a waste of time & energy.
Sorry but that is absoloute tosh. People are always going to murder each other but that doesn't mean I couldn't care less.
scotland369
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Darcy)
People consider suicide in order to become free from suffering. The suffering does not disappear but instead is transferred from the person to all their loved ones.
However difficult it is for a person, it is better to be burdened with pain rather than let family and friends all carry that burden for them after they are departed.
Easy for you to say - it must be so wonderful to be able to pass judgement on people with problems you aren't willing to understand. You've never suffered Dysthymia have you?
SpicyStrawberry
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by scotland369)
Easy for you to say - it must be so wonderful to be able to pass judgement on people with problems you aren't willing to understand. You've never suffered Dysthymia have you?
People on this thread probably don't have any concept of suffering so can't understand why people would want to end it - it's a personal decision and has nothing to do with anyone else IMO. If family members disagree with it they shouldn't be able to stop them because that is selfish, not the family member wishing to spare their suffering. Death is a part of life after all, and families shouldn't put their feelings before a suffering relative who has no way out.

What people seem to forget is family members who have had a tragic loss in their family can receive therapy and perhaps even medication for their depression, however this choice is not available to their family member in a persistent vegetative state/mental illness that cannot be cured or treated.

It's always easy to pass judgement when you've got no idea the kind of things that run through a terminally ill/mentally ill person's mind.
Indian_Prince
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i think if youve been pushed to the edge tones of times then it is understadable to not want to live anymore, if your alone, poor, badly unable to live life as a human, have your rights taken away from you etc etc, in the end its hard to understand what the persons going through because at that point when youve hit the edge your really at your lowest point and the pain can be unstandable (emotionally) so yeh i can understand why someone would do it, i dont think its right though because other people have to suffer e.g. loving family, dead body cleaner people, home owners- cleaning dead body costs etc etc =/
Fonix
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If it's one thing we have in our lives that can never be taken way from us it's our right to live.

If someone wants to end their own life. Then no one should have a problem with it.

It may be selfish or over something "stupid" but it is their life, they can do with it what they will
fire2burn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cinamon)
Sorry but that is absoloute tosh. People are always going to murder each other but that doesn't mean I couldn't care less.
You should care less though because there is zilch, zipple, nothing you can do about it, thus worrying and standing on a soap box over it is entirely pointless and a criminal waste of ones own time. You'd be better served by doing something productive and making yourself a cup of tea or a cheese sandwich instead.
Cheshire_Cat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Leahcar)
No, I don't agree (sorry :p:) ... my granda had lung cancer (which was terminal) and he spent his last few days in hospital just lying on his bed unable to do anything cos he was so heavily sedated and drugged up. At that point, I knew he was suffering and wanted him to get better, obviously, but I wouldn't have wanted him to commit suicide. If there's any chance of living or getting better when you're ill then there's no question about it.
If what you're saying is true, then what's to stop a 16 year old girl who's just found out she has terminal cancer from killing herself? Should she not live the rest of her time as best she can? Well I see it exactly the same way for a 76 year old man. Before my granda got too ill, he lived his life. He made more of an effort to spend time with his family when he found out he was dying and he did things he'd always wanted to do. And of course that gave the whole family a lot of comfort, he wanted to live his life, not wait for it to end.

You're going on about how the person killing themselves is feeling, but ultimitely it has very little to do with them, they'll be dead. It's the family and friends who have to live on and pick up the pieces. And I'm sorry if nobody agrees with this, but it's just how I feel.
The 16 year old girl example is crap I'm afraid. Of course you wouldn't expect her to kill herself because her life is still good, and she'll want to live it to the full before she does eventually die. However if she was already on her death bed, unable to move or speak, and in extreme pain then why shouldn't she be allowed to die there and then if she wants to? Her family would be very selfish to make her live in suffering just so that they can see her for a few more weeks or whatever.
chemkid
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
when the person whose life it is decides it is
shooting.star
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There is no such thing as right or wrong in suicide. So, unless you are suffering from a type of pain that has a name (aka a terminal illness), you are wrong to commit suicide? And you should carry on living a life that you are unhappy with, that you see no hope in becauuse you may be labelled a coward or your family may be upset?

I don't condone suicide in anyway at all, but to say it's right in this, this and this situation and wrong in others I think is quite insulting. You do not have the right to judge what another completely individual person decides to do with their life, you have no idea how they feel, what led them to it. You can imagine, but you don't know and can never know.
Cinamon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fire2burn)
You should care less though because there is zilch, zipple, nothing you can do about it, thus worrying and standing on a soap box over it is entirely pointless and a criminal waste of ones own time. You'd be better served by doing something productive and making yourself a cup of tea or a cheese sandwich instead.
True but being a human being with feelings kind of overrules that logic.

If someone told you a meteor was going to destroy earth in 24 hours, wouldn't you panick a little? Or would you just make your self a cheese sandwich?
_Gizmo_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi

When the person thinks its right? ......... i'm not one of these that thinks its selfish / being a coward etc etc ........... life can suck for many people, some people don't want to live ......... get over it and let them die should they want.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.44%
No - but I will (77)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.86%

Watched Threads