Do your parents get a bit uneasy if you date outside your race? Watch

Poll: Do your parents get a bit uneasy if you date outside your race?
Yeah at first, but then they got ok with it (55)
21.74%
No, they were ok with it right from the start (126)
49.8%
Yeah but even though they’ve forbidden me, I do it anyways! (40)
15.81%
Yes, and I obey their wishes… (32)
12.65%
im so academic,
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Would not care, not that it would matter anyway.
Anonymous #6
Report 7 years ago
Dad's kinda racist and he probably wouldn't want me bringing home a black or Asian girl. My mum wouldn't care, however considering my brother and one of my sisters (much, much older than me) are both dating mixed raced people and have kids with them I don't think he'd care that much anymore. I probably wouldn't date a black girl anyway in all fairness as I've never really been attracted to any, however an Asian girl is a real possibility. I seen an unbelievable half Chinese and half white girl yesterday, my she was fine.
Mismatched_dollie_pepper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jessie6693)
Well I'm actually mixed race, my dad is white and my mum is from Zambia. But I think in Canada, especially Toronto, it might be different because there are sooo many people of different races, religions and cultures living in the city.
i'm zambian, don't seem to meet many :rolleyes:

*must stop hi-jacking threads*
Anonymous #7
Report 7 years ago
My parents have said they wouldn't want me dating a black guy because our kids wouldn't look like me. They're not racist, and I kinda agree with them. They said if we were black they wouldn't want me dating a white guy for the same reason.
rei dos reis
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by iheartmondays)
why not 'black' people?
Just how it is. I don't care personally.
ChaoticMaster
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My mums white and my dads black so they couldn't say anything, not that they would. I'm also 1/4 english, 1/4 german and 1/2 bajan so to the guy who said a reccent history of violonce between the ethnicities could be a problem, that doesn't apply to me either lol. Thus far I've brough home a serious of different races and had no apprehension from the parents. Think my mum would have an issue if I was dating a muslim but I would tell her where to go and why, using reasoned debate and and some mediocrom of politness of course lol.
jessie6693
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mismatched_dollie_pepper)
i'm zambian, don't seem to meet many :rolleyes:

*must stop hi-jacking threads*
Cool! did you grow up there? My mum only lived there until she was 12 and then her and my grandparents immigrated to Canada. She goes back once in a while, but I've never been.
jessie6693
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My parents have said they wouldn't want me dating a black guy because our kids wouldn't look like me. They're not racist, and I kinda agree with them. They said if we were black they wouldn't want me dating a white guy for the same reason.
I am a bit offended by that actually. As someone of a mixed race I identify with both my parents. I have small bits of both of them, some people say I look like my dad, and others say I look like my mum. :rolleyes:
neivindamin
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
until humans dont considers them self as humans first this kind of reaction will always be there.
whose culture is rich whose not this question will be always there but primary question is r u in love with ur partner or not tats all.
CoolBeans_Yeahh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Short answer: No.
Neither mine or my boyfriends parents care.
Its 2011, not 1811.
kerily
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My mother has a massive thing for non-white men (it's quite disturbing actually. She once signed up to a charity just because the man who asked her was called Omar :teehee:) so I'd imagine she'd be violently in favour of the new state of affairs, just in case said partner of mine had male relatives :awesome:

They wouldn't mind at all. I've never actually dated someone who wasn't white, but that's because my area is literally 99% white, not because I'm deliberately racially vetting prospective partners.
Post Apocalypse
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kerily)
My mother has a massive thing for non-white men (it's quite disturbing actually. She once signed up to a charity just because the man who asked her was called Omar :teehee:) so I'd imagine she'd be violently in favour of the new state of affairs, just in case said partner of mine had male relatives :awesome:

They wouldn't mind at all. I've never actually dated someone who wasn't white, but that's because my area is literally 99% white, not because I'm deliberately racially vetting prospective partners.
Post pix of mom please
kerily
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Post Apocalypse)
Post pix of mom please
She's 51 :teehee:
Tanya---
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I had an asian boyfriend once (Muslim), my dad's racist, he hated it.. it ended. -_-
But personally, I don't see what the big fuss is about... as long as the cultural differences don't get in the way of the relationship, what is actually wrong with it? If two people are happy with one another, others shouldn't intrude with their opinions on how people should only be together if their from the same race. 21st century you prejudiced people.. wake up!
JaiiStarh
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My Dads fiance is white so he's pretty cool about the whole interracial relationship thing. But when I went out with a white guy my Mum was a bit like :confused: because she thought the clash of culture (British and Jamaican) would complicate the relationship,and I was a bit naive to that. At the time I thought she was just being stereotypical and ignorant,but in the end,I think our relationship didn't work out because there were to many little differences.

But genuinely,I think as long as your parent knows you're happy and you are being treated with respect,they will (or should) be happy for you.
SteveCrain
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Surprises me how racist Indian parents are. But that's ok, because they're not working class.
SteveCrain
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CoolBeans_Yeahh)
Its 2011, not 1811.
When did this happen??!
Superstar6318
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In my family there's an unspoken hierarchy which is silly but it goes like this:
Indian - yes
White - perhaps
Black-No
Muslim-NO
Arenas123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tanya---)
I had an asian boyfriend once (Muslim), my dad's racist, he hated it.. it ended. -_-
But personally, I don't see what the big fuss is about... as long as the cultural differences don't get in the way of the relationship, what is actually wrong with it? If two people are happy with one another, others shouldn't intrude with their opinions on how people should only be together if their from the same race. 21st century you prejudiced people.. wake up!
Don't you think you should say that second part to your dad ?

I think it's pretty bad that you ended a relationship because of what he thought. Was it the muslim or the asian thing that bothered him ?

Would you ever go out with an asian (or any other race that wasn't yours for that matter) or does your dad mean you wont be able to ?

Sounds bad but the first thing my gf's parents asked her is what religion I was.

My gf's parents are completely fine with it and so are mine. Her dad and I aren't exactly best buds but thats more of a given with your gf's dad then a race thing. One side of her grandparents are racist and she's fallen out with them big time over it.
alwaysme
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My mothers last 2 boyfriends were black and I always take the piss by saying stuff like "once you go black you don't go back" and whenever she asks my opinion on a man who isn't black (she dates a lot) I'll say he's not your type, "needs more melanin".

So if I ever got a black girlfriend, she'd find it hilarious.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.7%
No - but I will (105)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (648)
47.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise