TSR Film Club - Catfish Watch

Poll: Rating: how did you find the film?
Excellent (16)
41.03%
Good (16)
41.03%
Poor (4)
10.26%
Awful (3)
7.69%
This discussion is closed.
Jade2009
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's quite an eye-opener about getting to know people online I found because you never know if they are who they claim to be. I do feel sorry for the woman but more for the guy - looking back on that sex talk must have been very embarrassing for him... It was a great film though.
Steevee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That was so sad. She clearly has issues, but she didn't really hurt anyone, she was just creepy as f***. I don't think any sort of criminal charges would have really served to benifit anyone.
oh hello
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I agree to some extent; obviously it was a further mental problem than what was discussed on the film, however it also stated that she didn't have cancer; which i feel is a step too far, even when considering that she lied about personalities, relationships & general lifestyles of imaginary people.

and yes, the guy was very understanding. imagine if the guy had emotional/stability issues similar to hers, this could have caused long term damage to his life too.
oh hello
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I also believe that she had fallen in love with the thought of what her imaginary life was like; which obviously reflected on her feelings towards Nev when they really met. I think that she believed that something between the two was going to happen...
The Cornerstone
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Liam_G)
:dontknow:

Even if it was illegal, I doubt that the guy would press charges. She's just a sad, desperate and quite lonely person. It's a form of escapism... Sure it's creepy when taken out of context, but she was desperate, and luckily the guy was understanding and supportive about a situation in which many people would feel horribly manipulated... I don't think it would be right if she was arrested if I'm honest.
Agreed. Although it does make you worry a bit that pictures can be stolen from you like that. You know it's possible but you just don't think about it.
Steevee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Very good, very interesting. I quite liked the cinematography, the way it switched from a gritty first person view, to a more setting normal filming style, worked very well in my opinion.
abisolaay
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
gosh! I feel so sorry for the woman, she needed some kind of attention, control... And her artworks are beautiful. Very different film.
neillya1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Catfish is said to be fake anyway:

http://veryaware.com/2010/09/catfish...-fake-sort-of/

At least, partially fake. Still, it's a great "movie", but I don't think there's any right/wrong since it's probably a set up......
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by oh hello)
I also believe that she had fallen in love with the thought of what her imaginary life was like; which obviously reflected on her feelings towards Nev when they really met. I think that she believed that something between the two was going to happen...
I don't think so; she never had any expectation of them meeting. I don't think she planned ahead at all, and certainly I don't think she expected anything to happen - she was resigned to her life as a mother/wife etc.. Nev was just a fantasy for her.
oh hello
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Exactly! Imagine if this documentary was never created, she could now, still be 're-living' megans life through her facebook account! It makes me wonder how many people out there are also doing this...
oh hello
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
I don't think so; she never had any expectation of them meeting. I don't think she planned ahead at all, and certainly I don't think she expected anything to happen - she was resigned to her life as a mother/wife etc.. Nev was just a fantasy for her.
well maybe not; however when she met she still continued the lie, it wasn't like she refused to meet him etc, she introduced him to her family!
CherryCherryBoomBoom
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh wow, I just watched it. So bizarre, yet so fascinating. I really can't believe it :zomg:. I'm so glad I made sure not to stumble across reading spoilers beforehand, cos boy, such a load of surprises I got in this film. The fact that it's a true life story makes it that much more amazing. Wow.

Spoiler:
Show
The woman's artwork is so beautiful. Shame it wasn't really by a child prodigy, but still, anyone who can produce art like that is pretty amazing in my eyes
username366985
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is it faked, is it not?

The part when he sort of pushes her into revealing it all and she obliges (the part with the horses?), seemed rather set up to me.
ElectricWizard
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
People think this is fake!? Clearly it isn't
haleem
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
so.tempted.to.read.spoilers... must.. resist.....

:ashamed:
diamonddust
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm getting freaked out already!
Spoiler:
Show
The song! :afraid:

Am I the only one who thinks the guy is a *tiny* bit hot?
diamonddust
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by haleem)

I...already did! :blush: Ruined it for myself! Why can't I resist spoilers?
Edit: To be entirely honest, I got spoiled on another thread and looked at the spoilers on here to clear up the comfusion! :no:

It's really compelling so far!
abisolaay
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by diamonddust)
Spoiler:
Show

Certainly not, haha!
CherryCherryBoomBoom
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by haleem)

Definitely DO NOT READ SPOILERS if you haven't already. Trust me, you'd only ruin your viewing experience from lack of shock.

(Original post by diamonddust)
Spoiler:
Show

Oh yeah, I thought he was quite cute too :yep:
diamonddust
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Spoiler:
Show
OMFG! How can you DO what Angela's done? She seriously has issues. :sad: Her artwork is great though! Half an hour left, what else is there to this? Drinking problem? What an excuse... the plot just keeps thickening! Can't wait for the confrontation!

I wasn't THAT spoiled...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (191)
39.71%
No - but I will (29)
6.03%
No - I don't want to (33)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (228)
47.4%

Watched Threads