Geordie Shore Watch

ApexPredator
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For some strange reason, I've watched every episode of Jersey Shore. As trashy as it is, it is damn entertaining. So, out of curiousity I watched the first episode of Geordie Shore. What a poor imitation of the original. Why was the first episode so similar to Jersey Shore e.g. The large chested woman baring her breasts and making a fool out of herself, only to apology the next day - same thing happened with Snooki in JS. The only cast member who seemed to be slightly 'normal' was Greg, until the inner neanderthal came out and he was involved in a fight. Although, that was probably to some extent, due to peer pressure and him wanting to show his allegiance to the group and fit in with them.

Also, wtf was with the stupid lines like 'on it like a bonnet' and 'in there like swimwear'? At least the JS phrases made some sense! I won't be watching again.
Wattsy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ApexPredator)
For some strange reason, I've watched every episode of Jersey Shore. As trashy as it is, it is damn entertaining. So, out of curiousity I watched the first episode of Geordie Shore. What a poor imitation of the original. Why was the first episode so similar to Jersey Shore e.g. The large chested woman baring her breasts and making a fool out of herself, only to apology the next day - same thing happened with Snooki in JS. The only cast member who seemed to be slightly 'normal' was Greg, until the inner neanderthal came out and he was involved in a fight. Although, that was probably to some extent, due to peer pressure and him wanting to show his allegiance to the group and fit in with them.

Also, wtf was with the stupid lines like 'on it like a bonnet' and 'in there like swimwear'? At least the JS phrases made some sense! I won't be watching again.
Those phrases are Geordie youth sociolect, in York we have slightly different ones, in London where my cousins are they are different again, i'll never understand calling someone a 'grenade' unless they had a hair trigger temper.
qwerty7
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I watched it although to be honest I found most of the characters really unlikeable. On Jersey Shore I really liked the people and found them entertaining to watch, but on GS they seem like genuinly rude and nasty people. They weren't friends either so I didn't get the sense that this was one big group having a good time like you do with JS.
I liked Greg and I'm warming up to Charlotte a bit but everyone else is a bit naff!
RadioHawk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Wattsy)
Those phrases are Geordie youth sociolect, in York we have slightly different ones, in London where my cousins are they are different again, i'll never understand calling someone a 'grenade' unless they had a hair trigger temper.
i honestly have never heard anyone use those phrases and i have lived in NE most of my life...
Wattsy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RadioHawk)
i honestly have never heard anyone use those phrases and i have lived in NE most of my life...
Maybe it's just me trying to defend maniacal Geordies then but everyone I know says a few funny things.
kaylafrances
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Wattsy)
Your name completely undermines this argument however...

Newcastle is a wonderful city full of culture, Jersey Shore is a faceless street of beaches and clubs
Is 'tashing off' or 'necking it' any worse than calling people 'grenades,' I find their accent easier to understand than the American Jersey one
Just because you couldn't pull them doesn't mean that they're ****s, Sophie and Holly probably are however Vicky (Phwoar) and Charlotte (Solid 8) aren't so much, they are liberal with their loving and that is their decision.
I think Jay (the perma-tanned one with silly hair) has a job, most of them are 18-21 at home and enjoying life with parents with respectable incomes so to them doing a job is no requirement.
Did we watch the same programme? I swear Charlotte just went back with Gaz.

Also wtf was their word for grenades, their word is definately not going to catch on like grenades has.
Wattsy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
People say Grenades? Not in York: Land of The Pensioners they don't
kaylafrances
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah they do, its just taking the piss, but still people get the reference. No one cares enough about geordies to quote them
Troubled_Student
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can't wait to go to Newcastle in October....
jonski
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wouldnt mind if most of it wasn't staged. Never want to waste my time again listening to some ***** saying 'your not a real geordie if you dont have a tan'!!!
jack747
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm a bit ashamed of being half Geordie now.
kingkev
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jonski)
Wouldnt mind if most of it wasn't staged. Never want to waste my time again listening to some ***** saying 'your not a real geordie if you dont have a tan'!!!
That line is a load of tripe. Don't think I'll be watching the rest of this tbh, my friends at University are already ripping me and I go to bloody Newcastle Uni haha.

Probably the one bit that reflects Newcastle was that fight in the club, I see that a fair bit.
kaylafrances
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kingkev)
That line is a load of tripe. Don't think I'll be watching the rest of this tbh, my friends at University are already ripping me and I go to bloody Newcastle Uni haha.

Probably the one bit that reflects Newcastle was that fight in the club, I see that a fair bit.
I wouldn't even know, but i just assumed they put that in because JS is full of fights in clubs.
Zakky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I hope Durham isn't like this
kingkev
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kaylafrances)
I wouldn't even know, but i just assumed they put that in because JS is full of fights in clubs.
I've heard the first episode is supposed to be the same as Jersey Shore but I never watched JS :teehee: so wouldn't know. Generally though on a night out around Newcastle you'll probably see a fight somewhere.
EggmanD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Jesus some people are retarded..

'Derpp i watched dis show about sum ppl in Geordieland and i hated them'

I wonder why......

Do you actually think people would watch this for any sort of artistic merit or positive entertainment value? Its better at creating instant hate figures than big brother and all you morons talking about it will just create even more **** tv shows that you can only whinge about.
lukejoshjedi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Xhotas)
My older brother knows Vicky, but apparently she had her name changed for the show.

Can't imagine why someone would...
lol everyone seems to know Vicky... pretty much all the guys in the house do? Apart from Jay if I'm remembering right
Xhotas
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lukejoshjedi)
lol everyone seems to know Vicky... pretty much all the guys in the house do? Apart from Jay if I'm remembering right
He claims he's slept with her but...

Well. Not going to lie, I really wouldn't put it past him. And after seeing the first episode, I wouldn't put it past her either.
kaylafrances
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kingkev)
I've heard the first episode is supposed to be the same as Jersey Shore but I never watched JS :teehee: so wouldn't know. Generally though on a night out around Newcastle you'll probably see a fight somewhere.
you neeed to watch JS its like 10000x better and there were so many parallels like in the first episode where Snooki made a fool out of herself on the first night and apologised the next day is what Sophie did. The producers are just being stupid, almost making people compare (excluding the name).
QwentyJ
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not a patch on Jersey shore.

It's alright laughing at the yanks version, but then when it comes over here....boot's on the other foot; and people wonder why Brits abroad are hated! I'd be hard pressed to find any bits of those women which are actually real!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (312)
37.68%
No - but I will (64)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
47.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed