OCR ECONOMICS of Work and Leisure F583 -> 17 June 2011 Watch

tsr4life
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
[QUOTE=Prepare-Yourself;32258799]
(Original post by tsr4life)

Did you write about non-pecuniary benefits (job security, flexibility, holidays etc) for the first bit? I couldn't really think of anything else.
And I wouldn't worry even section A was good although people who don't like football (like myself) would be put off, their not expecting an in depth evaluation of players and teams etc.
Unlike one guy in my class put Man Utd are a monopoly because they have Rooney and its more competitive because City and Tottenham qualified for Europe.
its a monopoly because they have rooney....

yeah i didnt really include much footy knowledge, they're not expecting it as otherwise it'd just be unfair for those that like football...

other non-pecuniary benefits are job status, chance of promotion but i didnt really go into details on these, just kinda listed them and said they affected supply of labour but not significantly..hope that's enough
uxa595
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's over now, worry about the f585 20 mark, as their is no choice between the good and crap questions :P
bijesh12
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
wage cost i thought is simply the wage rate. I said it depended on the performance of the firm, if the firm sold more output, and gained profit, then wages were likely to be higher. Another reason was the a reduction in the labour force, would push up wage rate. I think its wrong, i've misinterpreted the question.
Prepare-Yourself
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by uxa595)
It's over now, worry about the f585 20 mark, as their is no choice between the good and crap questions :P
I think the 20 marker will be discuss whether trade liberalisation is beneficial. Which sounds pretty good to me.
Prepare-Yourself
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
[QUOTE=tsr4life;32265401]
(Original post by Prepare-Yourself)

its a monopoly because they have rooney....

yeah i didnt really include much footy knowledge, they're not expecting it as otherwise it'd just be unfair for those that like football...

other non-pecuniary benefits are job status, chance of promotion but i didnt really go into details on these, just kinda listed them and said they affected supply of labour but not significantly..hope that's enough
Yep should be fine.
tsr4life
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
[QUOTE=Prepare-Yourself;32266736]

Yep should be fine.
how you feeling for global on thursday? im pretty worried, ive written some answers to the questions at the back of the tutor2u booklet but other than that, i've done very little

how u revising for it?
Prepare-Yourself
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
[QUOTE=tsr4life;32266918]

how you feeling for global on thursday? im pretty worried, ive written some answers to the questions at the back of the tutor2u booklet but other than that, i've done very little

how u revising for it?
Tutor2u pack, one from zig zag education and the colin bamford book. Seems okay to me.
anradu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think the 20 marker will be discuss whether trade liberalisation is beneficial. Which sounds pretty good to me.

1. Discuss the extent to which international agreements to reduce trade barriers are a useful way of stimulating economic growth in the short to medium-term and in the long-run (20)
2. Attempts to cut budget deficits and government debt in the early stages of a recovery may damage a country’s long-run economic performance. Discuss (20)
3. “Spain must introduce policies to improve its international competitiveness” – Assess the policies that are likely to be effective in achieving this aim for the Spanish economy (20)
4. Discuss the extent to which the Euro Area is an optimal currency area and whether this matters for the long-term viability of the currency union? (20)
5. To what extent is the European Central Bank right to continue to set interest rates to maintain low inflation for the Euro Area as a whole? (20)
6. How far do you agree with the view that countries that are not economically convergent should not be allowed inside the single currency area?
7. Despite the difficulties experienced by the PIIGS nations in recent years, the European single currency area has been a success. Discuss (20)
8. If the UK had joined the euro, do you think the country would have fared better during the recession? (20)
9. If Spain had its own currency, it could let the value of its currency fall to a level that would make the country's tradable goods sectors competitive. Evaluate the view that Spain’s economic performance would improve by a currency devaluation and leaving the Euro Area (20)
10. “Tariffs, domestic subsidies and other forms of protectionism risk a country sacrificing medium-term growth opportunities for near-term economic interests” Do you agree? (20)
anradu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So essentially question 1 from the tutuor2u pack? I've ended up doing model answers for all 10 and learnt them...I'm not very imaginative on the day and so require more passive methods...today's exam is evidence. Nothing I memorised turned up and as a result I feel cheated :rolleyes:
It wasn't particularly nice but on the bright side global economy is based on a stimulus package and so bound to have a less diverse range of question possibilities. I felt Work and Leisure didn't have enough "spine" essays for Section 2 and left us students a bit bare for the evaluation. It's probably an exam in which few got the 18+'s

I got 97 last year - but maybe down to luck of the questions which appeared :p:)

How did you find it?
Prepare-Yourself
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by anradu)
So essentially question 1 from the tutuor2u pack? I've ended up doing model answers for all 10 and learnt them...I'm not very imaginative on the day and so require more passive methods...today's exam is evidence. Nothing I memorised turned up and as a result I feel cheated :rolleyes:
It wasn't particularly nice but on the bright side global economy is based on a stimulus package and so bound to have a less diverse range of question possibilities. I felt Work and Leisure didn't have enough "spine" essays for Section 2 and left us students a bit bare for the evaluation. It's probably an exam in which few got the 18+'s

I got 97 last year - but maybe down to luck of the questions which appeared :p:)

How did you find it?
You got 97% in both exams? That means really you don't have to try this year and can still get an A.
I wouldn't completely go off what I'm saying but my teacher said traditionally the questions are chronologically ordered through the extract. So the first questions will be on extract 1 and so on...
Was a bit dissapointed in the essays from the exam but that only means lower grade boundaries
anradu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You got 97% in both exams? That means really you don't have to try this year and can still get an A.
I wouldn't completely go off what I'm saying but my teacher said traditionally the questions are chronologically ordered through the extract. So the first questions will be on extract 1 and so on...
Was a bit dissapointed in the essays from the exam but that only means lower grade boundaries
Hehe I wish Got 97 in the micro equivalent and 87 in the other
Perhaps I should have saved the luck for this year when I needed it most (for that a*)
Iram0105
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by turn and fall)
Yeah - cant understand why you wouldnt do it (but thats just me) - plenty to talk about

Part A I just threw the monopsony and trade union diagram at it. Then did analysis from there. I am a little worried there was not much evaluation but for 15 markers analysis is where the marks are.

Part B : Could have gone on forever. I talked about consequences of unemployment -> inflation, GDP, gov expenditure, poverty a fair bit and the adverse effect on the product market. Higher costs and less competitive markets.

For evaluation I discussed things like the amount of capital, proportion of production that is labour, size of benefits, monetarist theories of phillips curve.

Hopefully improve from my abomination of a D in my practice paper lol.
yeee tbh a dnt fink a did much analysis for part A =/

for part B..did u feel lyk u did kinda repeat some of what u said in part A =s..?

for evaluation a jus went on about effects on gov objectives

overalll it wasn't a bad questionnnn! hopin to get higher dan my C in jan!!
Schwarznight
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I answered Q4 in section B for part a) talked about the two forms of labour market failure : occupational and geographical immobility for part b) I am worried... It asked Comment on the extent to which labour market failure has wider economic effects. I used some macro analysis such as budget deficits to rectify any issues which pressurises the government and also if the economy is not very flexible in terms of their labour market and has got poor occupation mobility, it may be less attractive to FDI especially if there is too much regulation in place preventing the ease of hire and fire. There might be allocative and productive inefficiency due to a poor mobile labour force and withdrawal of FDI will lead to a negative multiplier (I used an AD diagram) and unemployment may arise since Investment is a component of AD and occupationally immobile people will find it more difficult to find work that matches their skills, longer frictional unemployment, higher JSA distributed by government e.g. during a recession etc blah blah. The question is... since the part b) said wider economic effects was it ok for me to bring in some advanced theory? Was the question opern for interpretation. Also... its unit 3, so i hope it was ok for me to bring in macro into that question. Arghhh i am scared... please could someone shed some light on my question.
Iram0105
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
[QUOTE=Prepare-Yourself;32267144]

Tutor2u pack, one from zig zag education and the colin bamford book. Seems okay to me.
are d packs from zigzag education any gud???
Schwarznight
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by turn and fall)
Yeah - cant understand why you wouldnt do it (but thats just me) - plenty to talk about

Part A I just threw the monopsony and trade union diagram at it. Then did analysis from there. I am a little worried there was not much evaluation but for 15 markers analysis is where the marks are.

Part B : Could have gone on forever. I talked about consequences of unemployment -> inflation, GDP, gov expenditure, poverty a fair bit and the adverse effect on the product market. Higher costs and less competitive markets.

For evaluation I discussed things like the amount of capital, proportion of production that is labour, size of benefits, monetarist theories of phillips curve.

Hopefully improve from my abomination of a D in my practice paper lol.
Yh I answered Q4) However, I am worried about the part (b) it said wider economic effects. Was it ok for us to bring in more advanced (macro) theory into the question. the word wider meant on a large scale.... so I hope it was ok for me to talk about budget deficits may arise to rectify any prevailing problems and also I talked about negative multipliers. At AS, for unit one you weren't really allowed to use macro but surely for unit 3 and especially this question you could?
ajayhp
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
[QUOTE=Iram0105;32270486]

are d packs from zigzag education any gud???
do u have the zig zap pdf?
anradu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
[QUOTE=ajayhp;32270817]
(Original post by Iram0105)

Do you know what's needed to an a* for economics?
I can't find the 90ums score conversion on their website anywhere
Thanks!
Iram0105
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
[QUOTE=ajayhp;32270817]
(Original post by Iram0105)

nopeee i don't have d zigzag pdf..
do u by any chance???
Iram0105
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
[QUOTE=anradu;32274176]
(Original post by ajayhp)

Do you know what's needed to an a* for economics?
I can't find the 90ums score conversion on their website anywhere
Thanks!
errrm i think its approx 54/60
Prepare-Yourself
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by anradu)
Hehe I wish Got 97 in the micro equivalent and 87 in the other
Perhaps I should have saved the luck for this year when I needed it most (for that a*)
Haha same I got 90 in both last year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (442)
37.81%
No - but I will (88)
7.53%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.82%

Watched Threads