Countries you were disappointed about Watch

FormerlyHistoryStudent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've been to every continent bar Africa and North/Central America, and I can honestly say that I haven't been disappointed by any country I've been to. Every single one has things to love about it, and I'd go back to any of them in a shot. I'm quite surprised at the amount of people on here dismissing whole countries on one or two bad experiences and/ or lack of knowledge about the country/ culture. Nothing to do in Tunisia, for example? Seriously? There's absolutely ****loads of stuff to do and see there. The same with Wales and many other countries mentioned on here.
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan)
What like?
Well, to begin with, despite the rampant construction along the Black Sea Coast, there are still plenty of wonderful beaches which have not yet been touristified. Then there's places in the interior like Strandzha Nature Park, Pirin National Park, Bachkovo Monastery, Rusenski Lom Nature Park, Hisar, Karlovo, Kazanlâk, Melnik, Plovdiv & the Rodopi Mountains, Rila Monastery, Ruse, Shipka, Sozopol, Varna, Veliko Târnovo... Some of these places do get a decent amount of tourists (Plovdiv, Hisar, Varna, Bachkovo Monastery, Veliko Târnovo) but not because it's a beach with lots of fast food places and bars selling cheap drinks, or is a cheap ski resort.
sugarmice
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why is everyone saying France? When I went to France, literally everyone was nice and polite, I didn't meet a single rude person. I went to Germany for a bit as well and they were fine too, pretty much as polite as British people.
Whereabouts in France are people talking about, because I don't think I'll be going there.
Hravan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jimcatinnes)

Seeing as it means the difference between a good holiday and bad holiday, I would recommend you bring your own tea...

Oh don't worry I will be taken a huge tea supply. The plan is Borneo for 2 weeks, Australia for 2 weeks, New Zealand for a month, California for 2 weeks and then fly home (or maybe fit in British Columbia as well depending on money..), so yeah, I will be taking my own tea.
shadow99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Egypt, not as good as Turkey, not much town to walk around when you go outside the hotel.
KJane
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Which hotel was it?
Holiday Village in Sarigerme.
Ice_Queen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by soy_david)
Oh, I loved the mud baths, but I could never, ever get used to the smell of sulphur. I couldn't live there.
Apparently you do. I know what you mean though, stinky stinky!
RoseRequiem
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The second time I went to Bulgaria we all caught a horrible bug and spent the majority of the two weeks in bed with stomach cramps! Not to mention we thought we'd treat ourselves and stay in 5* apartments which turned out to be minging :P It had also changed and become way more of a tourist-y, tacky area; which is a shame because the first time we went it was beautiful!
Moooooooose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I went to Australia, in the middle of Summer (over Christmas) and it rained for the whole three weeks. Might as well have stayed in England
(:Becca(:
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
America. People were friendly for the most part, but have not yet grasped the concept of a "small" portion of food. Not really worth the money.
France. I went with my primary school and we stayed in a youth hostel. The cleaners stole money from us. The people were rude. Didn't like it.
Rogercbinboy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Western and Eastern coasts of the US (admittedly I never went to New York which is meant to be great) - central was definitely better in terms of people and sights. In particular I wasn't expecting anything special from LA but **** me it did a good job of disappointing all the same.

Bangkok was nowhere near as good as I'd heard, Kao San was alright though touristy but I stayed elsewhere the first visit and it was a scene of extreme poverty next to massive/fancy business buildings. Also full of people trying to scam you.
KP40186
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Barcelona. Friggin' thieves.
JayTeeKay
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by screenager2004)
Last year we did a tour of Europe and it was massively disappointing. All the cities looked the same. All had the same H&M on the high street and naff cafes. Really really massive waste of money. Not going back to Europe any time soon!
Well the chances are the high street is the same wherever you go.
Did it not once cross your mind to visit something culturally specific? I mean what did you expect? A city is just a very large residential area, and high street shops are owned by international companies.
When I went to Hamburg for example, there was the usual stuff (Cathedral, city tours, harbour boat rides) but they also had various festivals going on with live music etc.
Without being disrespectful, you probably found Europe boring because you yourself are boring. Unless you adopt the right attitude to travelling, everywhere will be a disappointment, European or not.
tenhornedbeast
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
Oh, there are There's some horribly touristy places, like Sunny Beach, but also tons of lovely untouristy places.
You have to know where to go basically and most foreigners just head for the capital or the "famous" (read: crowded and overpriced) parts of the Black Sea Coast.
Liam_G
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TattyBoJangles)
I know it isn't a country, but I was thoroughly disappointed with New York.
:eek: Really? When I went in January I loved it :yep:

Then again, it was probably the company that made it all worthwhile.
emma t
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
not a country but a city..Rome, despite the obviously impressive land marks it was very dirty, lot of shifty people around, food wasn't that great and there was pretty much no nightlife
d4nny
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cyprus. Way to touristy. Northern (Turkish) Cyprus, on the other hand, was fantastic as there was hardly anybody there. Deserted beaches :yep:
Mismatched_dollie_pepper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Have you had any negative experiences travelling abroad? If so, what happened?
good thread
KAT =)
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tunisia.
INeedToLoseWeight
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by soy_david)
New Zealand. 24 hours on a plane to end up back in Wales. In the 1980s.

Catalonia, Barcelona excepted, is the anti-Spain. No sense of fun, super-conservative, take themselves far too seriously and bore you constantly with their talk of independence which they'll never do anything about because they're so conservative.
And Gaudi

France was crap IMO.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.78%
No - but I will (98)
7.7%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (606)
47.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise