Why do Americans believe that their soldiers 'Fight for their freedom'? Watch

Wucker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Europeans should take a more pragmatic view towards the American military.

The fact that we have such a large army is what has allowed Europe to drastically cut down on its defense spending over the last 60 years and develop strong social welfare states.

Ultimately, if you define "freedom" as "democratic, Western society," then yes, American soldiers do defend freedom.
UnderTheBridge1994
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by AwsomePossum)
America does indeed fight for freedom and has done since it became a country and that is not something that anyone can deny because they saved our asses in two world wars
I honestly believe that the Red Army would have defeated the Germans on their own (they practically did), and then they would have declared war on Japan (America's true enemy in this), and would have surely won that dispute.

WW1 was won because the Central Powers ran out of resources and public opinion was against the idea of war.

So how did America ''save our asses''?
Pochi_X
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
One, short sentence:

The American Media, especially Fox News.
AwsomePossum
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by UnderTheBridge1994)
I honestly believe that the Red Army would have defeated the Germans on their own (they practically did), and then they would have declared war on Japan (America's true enemy in this), and would have surely won that dispute.

WW1 was won because the Central Powers ran out of resources and public opinion was against the idea of war.

So how did America ''save our asses''?
I honestly think you dont know history if you think the red army could have defeated germany single handed.American military aid gave them weapons to fight because their troops went into battle with one rifle between four in some cases.The russian war machine was a truly inefficient one look at the losses in that war for the soviets
tenhornedbeast
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's their willingness to bring freedom to other countries that's much more disturbing.
UnderTheBridge1994
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by AwsomePossum)
I honestly think you dont know history if you think the red army could have defeated germany single handed.American military aid gave them weapons to fight because their troops went into battle with one rifle between four in some cases.The russian war machine was a truly inefficient one look at the losses in that war for the soviets
In the early days of WWII the Soviet machine was very inefficient, but that wasn't due to their lack of arms. The great purges saw many of the experienced officers killed, and the system of the Red Army at the time was severely flawed. Their turning around was due to the government's campaign for the war - comparing it to the history of class struggles, to the ''great patriotic war'' fought between the Russian Empire and Napoleon. Formal military ranks were reintroduced, and soldiers were encouraged to fight to the death or to kill themselves to avoid capture (Soviets PoWs were technically war criminals under Soviet law, afterall). Though they were ridiculously outnumbered at the start of the Axis offensive, by the end of the second world war they were the largest army in history. Even if D-day wasn't successful, they would have still defeated the Germans on their own - there is no question to that.

But hey, we'll never know for sure, will we? Americans like to think they won both world wars on their own, but we shouldn't discredit our then-communist allies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads