Are today's young Leftists stupid? Watch

im so academic
Badges: 13
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by planetearth)
I know it will never happen on a Universal scale.

But on a small scale it has happened.

Kerala in India is a Communist state with a population of 33million.

It has one of the best human rights records in the world, is one of the fairest democracies in the world, has one of the highest literacy rates in the world, the highest quality of life and HDI in India and the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerala

So there is still hope.
:facepalm2:

You genuinely think that is achievable for everyone in the whole world right?

Also, I rather live in Britain than there tbh.
Andrii
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jesusandtequila)
Bah, I wanted to rep you for this (but I've run out for the day), it makes no sense to try to paint in broad strokes such generalisations.
Definitely, and no worries- it's the thought that counts

(Original post by jesusandtequila)
See, I went the other way - although I don't like the one-dimensional political line at all, I feel it fails to capture many, many things. I suppose more people would class me as 'Right' than 'Left', but I think of myself as neither.
I agree, politics is a lot more complex than left wing and right wing, that's for sure and those terms alone don't give away much about one's set of political beliefs. I mean even on a simple political spectrum you've got to take into consideration whether someone is more authoritarian or libertarian to account for the social dimension of political beliefs, and even this doesn't really cover it. At the end of the day, people are individuals with individual political convictions and hence do not perfectly fit into a general clear-cut category.
im so academic
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Emaemmaemily)
This is not true communsim... Just so you know
But I agree... Commnism could succeed one day (not soon).
It will never succeed one day.
im so academic
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by IQ Test)
As I said: I'm sure there are exceptions.
So you're saying that the majority of right wingers don't want to improve the world? Bull****.
im so academic
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by WelshBluebird)
I am not going to go into the ema stuff because we have done it a million times before.
However, I ask you again to read what I said.
"Just as bad"
To be just as bad means there has to be some "bad" on the left too. I did not deny that.
Do you accept that you are one of these "bad" people?
planetearth
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
:facepalm2:

You genuinely think that is achievable for everyone in the whole world right?

Also, I rather live in Britain than there tbh.
No, that is why I said I know this will never happen on a Universal scale...
IQ Test
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Keckers)
Whereas promotion of the government results in pursuing personal interests for politicians, a much smaller group who are already in a seat of power.
In many governments, you will find people who are corrupt. In addition, being left wing does not mean promotion of totalitarianism. I'd rather be ruled by corrupt politicians who I can vote out than by private businesses who pull the strings of a government I can't control.
im so academic
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by und)
Do you really think that's the only argument in favour of EMA? I think you should get yourself out from under that rock and have a look at the people around you who happen to be less fortunate, and whose parents would have to borrow money or skip holidays to cover travel and other costs associated with a college or sixth form.
Borrow money to cover travel? Bull****, there IS help from the council, Child Benefit, range of other benefits.

Skip holidays? Not necessarily.

PM me if you want information about my financial background. Don't assume anything.

Other countries don't have EMA, EMA wasn't in Britain even a decade ago - why is it necessary now in Britain?
WelshBluebird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do you accept that you are one of these "bad" people?
No, because I do believe that scrapping EMA (or more specifically scrapping the support for those who need it) is a bad idea. However, that is not the point of this thread, so I am not going to go back to debating that (and will ignore any reply about it).
im so academic
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by WelshBluebird)
Well when I was your age, hardly anyone was interested in politics at all. So I'd suggest any involvement is an improvement.
Who knows, perhaps in a few years it will be "hip" to be on the right, and you'll be happy then.
No. I wouldn't call it an improvement, I call it "not thinking for oneself".

No I will not be happy. I want people to make their own decisions, not try and wanting to be "hip".
IQ Test
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So you're saying that the majority of right wingers don't want to improve the world? Bull****.
There's no need to swear.

In my experience, yes, many right wingers want to improve the world for them and care far less about the affairs of the wider world.

Again, I said many.
im so academic
Report 7 years ago
No, that is why I said I know this will never happen on a Universal scale...
So what on earth were you talking about when you say "there is still hope". For what?
Emaemmaemily
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It will never succeed one day.
That is your opinion. Congrats.
im so academic
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Emaemmaemily)
That is your opinion. Congrats.
No, it is the reality.
Folie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Barden)
Down south, 'sheep' are Tories... up north, 'sheep' are Labourites...

Swings and roundabouts, but that rule applies to everyone.
I don't know, I live up north and I'd say the majority at my college are right-wing. Although you're probably right that in that there are some towns in the north that are labour "safe seats".

Personally, I'm probably slighty left-wing, and I'd like to think I'm not stupid (or naïve). Whilst I think communism is a nice idea in principle, I think in practice it's never going to work and can just be outright disasterous. I think that it's more often the extreme left-wing who have unrealistic (or as OP put it, "stupid" ideals) but then I think any extreme political ideology is unlikely to work in practice. Plus I'd rather belong to a 'naïve' left wing than the extreme right wing, who have some very morally dubious ideals...

There are plenty of intelligent 'Leftists' out there, and I expect, plenty of stupid ones too. You can say the same of any large group of people.
planetearth
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So what on earth were you talking about when you say "there is still hope". For what?
For democratic left wing ideologies to be more accepted, understood and incorporated into other areas of the world to dramatically improve the lives of people, even if this is not on a massive scale.
tieyourmotherdown
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know it will never happen on a Universal scale.

But on a small scale it has happened.

Kerala in India is a Communist state with a population of 33million.

It has one of the best human rights records in the world, is one of the fairest democracies in the world, has one of the highest literacy rates in the world, the highest quality of life and HDI in India and the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerala

So there is still hope.
That's not communist at all though. By the very fact that it has a government with authority, it cannot be a truly communist state. If anything, it appears to be a Social Democratic state, but it is definitely not communist.

Not to mention it's not quite as rosy as you say either. The state has massive levels of debt, relatively high unemployment, and large levels of poverty. It still doesn't come close to matching the statistics of developed, free market economies across the board.
dnumberwang
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dahut)
This is a stupid question. Not all young people are stupid. Not all left wing people are stupid. So, why would all young left wing people be? Anyway, I think that there are those who inevitably just say "REVOLUTION!!!! Down with the government!!! Free money for everyone!!". Just like there are those on the right who say "Those disgusting scroungers, let's get rid of benefits! Privatise the NHS. It's their fault their poor, make them pay!!!!" They may be stupid but there are also many intelligent young people from across the political spectrum. It is ignorance to just generalise.
Today's young Free Tibetters are stupid.
IQ Test
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pyuicd)
Nothing to do with personal interests. Why do i not like a large government? Not because I own a company to compete with it, but because I believe it is not fair to tax people heavily to have such a huge public sector. Especially when it is arguably full of non jobs etc, sickeningly poor productivity and general working conditions and pay are far more generous than the private sector. Why should a struggling worker be paying for these excesses? It is morally wrong.

Where do you draw the line with public services? Should public services be 90% of GDP? At what point does the tax burden on the private sector mean that the public sector can no longer be funded sustainably? (i would argue this point has passed.) Not only do right wingers consider excessive state involvement immoral, but it is often far too costly.

Half of economic output in the country is just our government's activity. WTF? Left wingers accuse the right of being 'evil', wanting to CUT CUT BLAH BLAH. There are damn good arguments for it. The gentle idiocy of the left is the most dangerous thing in this country. Labour will borrow our country into bankrupcy to secure their public sector votes, and they nearly did it!
In a left wing system, the workers come first. As the state would be larger, the benefits to workers could be greater to ease burdens on them. If a country was run (in theory) by private businesses, then there would be a few who are very rich, but many who are poor and suffering. I would rather be working that not being able to afford healthcare and dying , knowing that others have been born with an ability to afford their own lives (through healthcare). That's just one example.

I don't think that the state should be totalitarian, so people should still have the freedom to voice their opinions on how the system could be improved, but I think that a large government is far more likely to change to suit the requirements of the people than a large company.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Barden)
Down south, 'sheep' are Tories... up north, 'sheep' are Labourites...

Swings and roundabouts, but that rule applies to everyone.
Excellent point.

There are a lot of "sheep" left-wingers. But it depends where you are. Where I live down South in privileged land, anyone who can't think their way out of a paper bag is inevitably Tory.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (316)
37.4%
No - but I will (66)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (401)
47.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise