The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Peterhouse (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Ah right. That's not as exciting as I thought it might be. Which does also mean I possibly have a sibling out there somewhere.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 81
Can people please help me out with a list of exactly what I need to bring with me to Peterhouse? I am off to Italy for a week on the 16th and I want to get all University shopping done next week. For example, I know I have to bring sheets and that, does that include pillows? Do I need to bring a kettle and mugs? What about lamps and things?

Also, I know that I obviously have the rent to pay each term, but what other charges are there (roughly)?. People keep going on about the "KFC" or something, which I am finding quite confusing! I want to try and get my finances all set up and it seems that Peterhouse and leaving it quite late to give any such specific information out.

Thanks for all the help :smile:.
Reply 82
Gary2688
Ah right. That's not as exciting as I thought it might be.

:p: :ditto:
Reply 83
I'm not sure what to take either,but I've got a duvet, pillow and the sheets, I'm taking a lamp, and plates, cups etc, cutlery, alarm clock (or I'll never get up)and just clothes and stuff like shower gel apart from that, I really have no idea. KFC has to be paid every term, to sort of pay for the kitchens AFAIK, (maybe someone already there can explain better than me?) which is about £115 a term I think, so then add your rent on top (which I fear they won't tell us until we have to pay it...) then you pay for meals on top. I think. Although I don't fully trust the SLC to actually give me my loan, so hopefully all that won't come to less than about 23p...
Reply 84
Trundle
Can people please help me out with a list of exactly what I need to bring with me to Peterhouse? I am off to Italy for a week on the 16th and I want to get all University shopping done next week. For example, I know I have to bring sheets and that, does that include pillows? Do I need to bring a kettle and mugs? What about lamps and things?

Also, I know that I obviously have the rent to pay each term, but what other charges are there (roughly)?. People keep going on about the "KFC" or something, which I am finding quite confusing! I want to try and get my finances all set up and it seems that Peterhouse and leaving it quite late to give any such specific information out.

Thanks for all the help :smile:.

Sheets
Duvet (bring a double - less annoying of you have someone to stay, and warm)
Pillows
Towels
Toiletries
Kettle if you make excessive amounts of hot drink and can't be bothered to get up and go to the gyp
Things to make your room 'homely'
Door stop - very important, leave your door open when you arrive so you can spy on the other people arriving
Food/drink for the first few days
Medical bits - flu/cold relief to help with freshers flu, and anything you might use for hangovers
Minimal kitchen stuff - mugs and breakfast stuff are needed, you really don't need lots of pots/pans/saucepans
Think you get a lamp, but only the one, so if you want bedside + desk then bring another

KFC is around £120 per term and goes on the college bill. As a very rough guide, my college bill per term came in at just over £1000, inc. rent of 750ish, so the remainder of this consisted of heating, internet connection, printing, food, KFC etc. Allow more for freshers term, as aside from the costs of stationary, books, vast amounts of alcohol and stuff from the van/gardies, you'll also have matriculation dinner, photos, various club subscriptions etc.
Reply 85
Do we pay rent after the term finishes then, not up front? That's ace, I thought I'd have to be paying out pretty soon. And if my college bill comes to just over a grand a term, I'll be very happy, I was expecting to have to spend a fortune! (ed: As in sort of 1500 - 2000 a term)
Reply 86
Gary2688
Do we pay rent after the term finishes then, not up front? That's ace, I thought I'd have to be paying out pretty soon. And if my college bill comes to just over a grand a term, I'll be very happy, I was expecting to have to spend a fortune! (ed: As in sort of 1500 - 2000 a term)

Unfortunately you have to pay the first term's rent before you get there, however you have 30 days from when bill arrives to pay, so you may have had your loan through by then. If not, give them a cheque but ask them not to pay it in until you let them know you have the money in you account - they're used to situations like this and can be fairly helpful, which is suprising considering they're useless the rest of the time..... forgot to distribute the Newton bursary cheques this year :mad: :rolleyes:
Reply 87
Thanks for the list brunswick, that is really useful. I am still confused as to what the KFC is! I keep reading it as the fast food takeaway outlet :rolleyes:
Reply 88
JennyST
The only historian who gets out of bed before midday is Thomas

OK, I know at least two historians who satisfy the stated conditions then (Ralph as well)
JennyST
PS - Rob, you totally should have had a civil partnership with Gavin or Colin.

They're not my type, far too quiet.
Reply 89
brunswick
Sheets
Duvet (bring a double - less annoying of you have someone to stay, and warm)
Pillows
Towels
Toiletries
Kettle if you make excessive amounts of hot drink and can't be bothered to get up and go to the gyp
Things to make your room 'homely'
Door stop - very important, leave your door open when you arrive so you can spy on the other people arriving
Food/drink for the first few days What sort of food? Do they not feed you for the first few days then?
Medical bits - flu/cold relief to help with freshers flu, and anything you might use for hangovers
Minimal kitchen stuff - mugs and breakfast stuff are needed, you really don't need lots of pots/pans/saucepans Do I need to bring any pots/pans etc? I can't see what I would use them for?
Think you get a lamp, but only the one, so if you want bedside + desk then bring another

KFC is around £120 per term and goes on the college bill. As a very rough guide, my college bill per term came in at just over £1000, inc. rent of 750ish, so the remainder of this consisted of heating, internet connection, printing, food, KFC etc. Allow more for freshers term, as aside from the costs of stationary, books, vast amounts of alcohol and stuff from the van/gardies, you'll also have matriculation dinner, photos, various club subscriptions etc.

Do most students buy a printer? I am planning on bringing my laptop with me. It doesn't have a CD drive because it is one of the small ones, so would it be worth me buying one of those portable CD drives to load college software on for internet connections etc?

What about phones? Do students have a phone in their rooms or use mobiles?

Reply 90
Trundle
Do most students buy a printer? I am planning on bringing my laptop with me. It doesn't have a CD drive because it is one of the small ones, so would it be worth me buying one of those portable CD drives to load college software on for internet connections etc?

Lol, yes they do feed you, but rather than bring a load of food up for your gyp, just bring what you need for a few days until you figure out how much/little you'll eat in hall or out etc - saves money and space.

Most students don't have a printer, I certainly found the college printers quicker and cheaper than a normal printer. However, college is rather crap at refilling the paper etc, so there are times when you may need to find a nice friend with one in their room :wink:

I'd say a CD drive is pretty much essential, but as I know half of bugger all about computers I'm not really much help about the portable thingy.

As for phones - no phones in rooms, just a buzzer to let people in which teasingly has the appearance of a phone, but a distinct lack of number buttons etc. Mobiles and Hermes are main means on communication - should be loads of student contracts for mobiles out at the moment, Orange had a good deal last year IIRC.
I'd also bring a iron (especially if you're a guy) and washing powder (you'll prob need to clean your clothes sometime!)

Trundle
What sort of food? Do they not feed you for the first few days then?

They feed you but you may want to bring breakfast, snacks and stuff for the first few days

Trundle
Do I need to bring any pots/pans etc? I can't see what I would use them for?

Some of the gyps (like in WSB) have hobs so you MAY need some pans if you're near one of these and feel like some light cooking from time to time.

Trundle

A few bring a printer (mostly NatScis, as they have to print assignments out and stuff) but i wouldn't bother going out of your way to get one. Medics certainly don't need them anyway.

I'm not sure about the CD drive - They give you a CD to help set up the internet but i can't seem to remember using it.

Every room has a phone port but you'll need to bring your own phone. I'd recommend it as it's MUCH cheaper than using a mobile to call home etc. Its also free to call within anyone within the university. Its by no means essential but i found useful last year.
Reply 92
How essential is a bicycle for your average historian?
Juan Cobo
How essential is a bicycle for your average historian?

Depends on how often you plan on going to lectures :p:

The faculty's only about 10/15 min walk away from the college, so a bike's by no means neccesary. I'd see how you do in first term without one and if you do need one there are plenty of cheap bike shops nearby.
Reply 94
You're probably right, thanks.
Also, is the Peterhouse golf society still going on? Their website hasn't been updated for a couple of years...
Sadly, no. There's plenty of golfers around the place though if you're looking for a game (we even have a blues player!)
Reply 96
Captain Crash
Every room has a phone port but you'll need to bring your own phone. I'd recommend it as it's MUCH cheaper than using a mobile to call home etc. Its also free to call within anyone within the university. Its by no means essential but i found useful last year.

This seems to slightly contradict what brusnwick was saying. If you bring a phone for your room, how does it work in terms of phone numbers? Surely not every student has their own number?
Reply 97
Trundle
This seems to slightly contradict what brusnwick was saying. If you bring a phone for your room, how does it work in terms of phone numbers? Surely not every student has their own number?

Nah, makes perfect sense. There is a phone point in every room, which brunswick might not have noticed. Bring your own phone, plug it in, and you get a 5 digit phone number which is unique inside the NTL Cambridge phone system. Outside calls to landlines are around 1p/min weekends, 3p/min evenings and 8p/min weekdays. Incoming calls via. an 0845 number, and then dialling your 5 digit code. You pick up a pack from the Porter's Lodge with a charge card (two numbers on a plastic card), which can be topped up by Debit card.

Amusingly, there also appears to be a normal number to dial into some lines, which I found out when I got a few calls trying to sell me a conservatory.

Trundle

I brought a printer, but most don't, and I probably won't be this year. Generally, you can't beat the 5 or 6p/ b/w sheet printing cost (can't quite remember) from the college printer with ink anyway. They have colour as well, but I can't remember the cost. Certainly not worth buying one before coming up.

You'll be fine without a CD drive. The setup to get the computer working on the network doesn't require this. There are some anti-virus programs and scans which you are meant to do before joining the network (assuming you are on Windows; Linux or other don't have that requirement) which are provided on the CD. Worse case is that you'll just have to join the network and get the CD copied onto your computer first.
Reply 98
rec53
Nah, makes perfect sense. There is a phone point in every room, which brunswick might not have noticed. .

If that was meant to be patronising, I will smite you.

The question was - Do students have a phone in their rooms or use mobiles?

I said no, because there are no phones in your room unless you get one and put it in, which is true. Seeing as most people at Peterhouse don't do this, most people use Hermes/mobiles to get in touch.
Reply 99
Thankyou for answering all my questions :smile: This thread is very useful. So if we bring a phone we can just plug it in and its free? apart from the cost of calls obv. I will see if we have an old phone somewhere.

I have one more question which is where do you buy gowns where you get to cambridge? the freshers pack had websites but i thought we bought it when we got to cambridge... however peterhouse gowns are the cheapest ones thank god. for some of the colleges its twice the price!

Also i got my parents today! I have two dads... one is a fourth year, mark and the other is keith, an engineer.

Now i want my accomodation. i really need to know how much its going to cost!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending