Turn on thread page Beta

Pareto Law Recruitment Agency watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm not from Pareto law... and have nothing but positives to say about my experiences though.....

ReputationRep:
    Its funny how every time a positive review is written the comment (must have been written by someone at Pareto) comes out.

1. I think those slating the assessment day are bitter. A lot of uni students think a top job will be handed to them on a silver platter. The fact you have a degree (which everyone does these days) in more often then not a wishy washy subject, does not mean you have the ability to become a big hitter in the business world. It means you can sit in a class room and get sloshed on a night. (most of the students I know cant handle their ale anyway).
    2: Recruitment consultants generally get paid when you get placed in a job (not just for getting a bad candidate to an assessment centre). I would imaging the initial interview is to prevent burks filling up the assessment day who have no potential and therefore reduce the chances the consultant has of placing them and thus making money. (do you expect these people to work for free?? of course they get paid)
    3. Only empty minds get through (Myth) I have been in sales for 5 Years working at both volume car dealerships and Prestige/Luxury were talking £200k plus cars (Lamborghini's, Rolls Royce, you get the picture), I have always been a top earner but wanted to get out of car sales. I am far from a rookie but accepted I still had learning to do, anyone who thinks they know it all is a fool.
    4. Refreshments were provided all day and whenever I wanted to go for a piss i did without anyone batting an eyelid.
    5. The jobs are not in telesales. We were never told we would be cold callers. What they said was as part of initial training some cold calling may be required. They did not say We will get you a job cold calling people (i wouldn't have applied if so).
    6. If you don't want a job in sales don't apply. Simple!

The simple fact is that you failed to succeed which suggests various possibilities.

1, you have zero personality and could not sell a gun to a Syrian.
    2, you did not prepare sufficiently to demonstrate your skill.
    3, you were nervous and couldn't show your personality.
    4, you were not dressed professionally, which they informed you to (you clearly don't listen to instruction)
    5, you are a bell end.

None of the above traits will make you a success in the sales industry although there is a few number 5's around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by topmullet)
    Its funny how every time a positive review is written the comment (must have been written by someone at Pareto) comes out.

1. I think those slating the assessment day are bitter. A lot of uni students think a top job will be handed to them on a silver platter. The fact you have a degree (which everyone does these days) in more often then not a wishy washy subject, does not mean you have the ability to become a big hitter in the business world. It means you can sit in a class room and get sloshed on a night. (most of the students I know cant handle their ale anyway).
    2: Recruitment consultants generally get paid when you get placed in a job (not just for getting a bad candidate to an assessment centre). I would imaging the initial interview is to prevent burks filling up the assessment day who have no potential and therefore reduce the chances the consultant has of placing them and thus making money. (do you expect these people to work for free?? of course they get paid)
    3. Only empty minds get through (Myth) I have been in sales for 5 Years working at both volume car dealerships and Prestige/Luxury were talking £200k plus cars (Lamborghini's, Rolls Royce, you get the picture), I have always been a top earner but wanted to get out of car sales. I am far from a rookie but accepted I still had learning to do, anyone who thinks they know it all is a fool.
    4. Refreshments were provided all day and whenever I wanted to go for a piss i did without anyone batting an eyelid.
    5. The jobs are not in telesales. We were never told we would be cold callers. What they said was as part of initial training some cold calling may be required. They did not say We will get you a job cold calling people (i wouldn't have applied if so).
    6. If you don't want a job in sales don't apply. Simple!

The simple fact is that you failed to succeed which suggests various possibilities.

1, you have zero personality and could not sell a gun to a Syrian.
    2, you did not prepare sufficiently to demonstrate your skill.
    3, you were nervous and couldn't show your personality.
    4, you were not dressed professionally, which they informed you to (you clearly don't listen to instruction)
    5, you are a bell end.

None of the above traits will make you a success in the sales industry although there is a few number 5's around.
    This post is pretty much spot on

ReputationRep:
    If you are unemployed, what have you got to lose? If you aren't successful or don't like the experience don't dwell on it, move on. (Important trait in sales) But do not be put off by what others say. Experience it for your self, the worst that can happen is you get rejected and spend a day in Wilmslow, you would only be sitting on your ass playing call of duty anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I attended a Pareto assessment centre and am kind of in two minds about it really. I wasn't successful firstly and my experiences of the brass tacks of the day are similar to others. For the most part i thought the Pareto people were alright but took themselves way too seriously. One was an absolute tosspot but the rest were polite and courteous. The other candidates were really good fun and we all got on really well. I wasn't bitter about not getting chosen but i still feel the structure of the day focused too much on volume of candidates through the door and they would have learned more by being more stringent in who they invited in the first place. In short, they need to re look at how they run the development centre and they do need to pay attention to the level of on line criticism they have received.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I have my assessment day coming up with Pareto, and was wondering if anyone knows how secure a job is with them, should you be accepted obviously! Fearful of turning down another job offer somewhere else to find that if I don't do as well as Pareto expect in a role that I will be 'shown the door' - is this the case, or do they offer you another more 'suitable' position?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I don't normally reply to these posts, but as there is so much negativity here directed to Pareto I thought I would add my two cents.

I am a business owner who uses Pareto for recruitment from time to time. To date I have hired three graduates from them, all of which have found permanent employment with me and either remain or have gone on to pastures new. It has certainly given them a good grounding in our profession (I.T.) and enabled them to get onto the job ladder, start a career and be a productive member of the UK workforce. One now earns 60K a year basic and started on just 20K, not bad for 4 years work.

I suggest that you consider this when deciding if the Pareto is the right fit for you. Attending their seminar may just get you a job. I also want to point out that were are not a recruitment company, don't ask people to cold call and pay a decent wage.

So it's not all as bad as some on here have made out....... Go, do whatever it takes and get yourself employed. It could be the start of something big!

ReputationRep:
    I recently attended a Pareto Assessment Day for a specific company, and was hired by the company following a second interview at the company's offices the next day.

I have returned here to share my experience because I read this thread the night before my assessment day and it really put me off, caused some anxiety, and contributed to my lack of sleep/eating before going in. I think it is fair for me to share my view of the experience.

The views here are very polarized which obviously reveals who got job offers and who didn't. However, I bet most of the candidates at these assessment days would not give such negative responses even if they got nothing out of it. This is because you can ALWAYS get something out of these assessments, even if it just interview/presentation practice. Some of the harsh views on here will be venting, bitter responses to an ultimately unsuccessful day which is another set back on a hard road to finding a good job. It's tough out there, but we all have to stay positive, so any curious readers should take them with a pinch of salt.

So what does Pareto do exactly?

They offer a comprehensive recruitment service for companies looking to hire salespeople of various kinds. The roles do not necessarily mean any particular type of selling (cold calling, inside/outside, accounts etc). I asked very bluntly before attending whether the role they were hiring for involved ANY cold calling. If you don't want to do something, ask specifically about it.

Pareto's package involves screening large numbers of candidates to fill their assessment days of which there are two kinds. One is for Pareto itself so they can either hire you for themselves, or hunt for jobs specifically for you if they don't have a standing offer from a particular company. The other kind is for a specific company who will send people to witness and participate in the assessment day in order to narrow down candidates for further interviews and/or selection.

Pareto's main goals are to give all the candidates the opportunity to show themselves off to the hiring companies, and at the same time perform some general analysis via group exercises and constant monitoring of behavior etc. After placing candidates in new jobs, they then offer sales training as a kind of after-care service to increase the likelihood that the candidates will succeed in their new roles.

If you are a smallish company without an extensive HR department/budget then this must be a very complete and useful service, presuming the quality of the candidates is high.

As for the candidates, in all honesty, the assessment day is rough, and could definitely be better organized. I'm convinced this is where the complaints on this board are coming from, because it is stressful, draining mentally, and by the end physically as well.

My assessment day had about 35 people, it went from 9-gone 5 I think even though it was supposed to end at 2:30, and they didn't provide any food except for biscuits, some fruit, and squash/coffee machine. There was no scheduled lunch break. This is almost inevitable given the amount of people attending, and I agree with others who posted before me, that they should probably take less candidates at once to alleviate this.

The draining aspect of it is three-fold.
    1) They are constantly monitoring you with clipboards whilst filing in mysterious data sheets, and their one-sized-fits-all approach to giving basic career advice is more than a little patronizing. I'm talking about their comments on what type of shoes to wear, and how to give a firm handshake.
    2) Since there were 35 of us, and only 6 jobs available, there was always a sense of competition in the room, which was for the most part taken lightheartedly by the people I spoke to. As the day dragged into over time though, the anxiousness over who was about to be sent home next started to creep in.
    3) Lack of food / break.

They handled the inevitable decision at the end as best as you can do in the circumstances I suppose. One group was summoned into one office, one into another, and one remained in the main room. As far as I know one group was told they didn't get considered by the client, but Pareto would like to place them elsewhere, and one group was sent home with some sort of feedback but otherwise no further help from Pareto would be offered. My group (12) was then scheduled for further interviews the next day at the client's offices.

At the end of the day Pareto is a recruitment company, and, like them all, is concerned first and foremost with satisfying their paying client, who is NOT YOU. I think they do a good job of this overall, however it would be better if they could use less candidates at once to make the day go by faster. I certainly hope that they don't pad it out with certainly bad eggs just to make it easier to place others. I don't suspect this to be the case, as the Pareto staff were all robotic ally neutral with everyone, allowing us to take the opportunity to impress on our own.

I can't sympathize with those complaining about about having taken days off work and being unsuccessful, as it is always going to be a risk, and they wouldn't be doing it if they didn't want to change jobs anyway right?

I say definitely go. After reading this thread I wanted to bail out. After hearing all the other candidates talk about their achievements during introductions I thought for sure I wasn't going to make the cut. After I did my presentation, I felt better because I nailed it (just practice, keep it simple). Towards the end of the day I was tired, hungry, and started to feel like the odds were mounting again. At the end, I got offered a job which I am REALLY excited about and can't wait to get stuck in.

Definitely do as much homework on the client/Pareto as you can but don't worry about knowing anything as they will tell you all you need to know. PRACTICE your 3 min presentation and make sure it is not too long because THEY WILL TIME YOU WITH A BEEPER!

Most importantly; be positive.

Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    I attended an assessment day back in June 2013. I was successful and was told I had performed really well. They said they would be in touch within the week to discuss a further meeting and job interviews etc. After numerous e-mails and phone calls, I still have got no response. It is now 8 months since I attended the assessment day and no-one has bothered to contact me back. Extremely unprofessional. If anyone from Pareto is reading, I would still appreciate a reply or response as to what has happened here.

ReputationRep:
    Has any one else on here had an experience with this so called "graduate sales recruitment company"?

I had a phone call from them inviting me
    to their assessment day in London a week or two ago. I travelled up and SUCCESSFULLY completed this assessment day. Only around a 1/3 of us showed the desired qualities (which from what i can work out the other 2/3 of the group had). Fantastic assessment day if you like being told how to use "steves" interview techniques and treated like cattle.

They tell you they have a load of jobs and not enough candidates, so after passing, a job will be found quickly and efficiently. Celsius is more RUDE and INCAPABLE from what i have found out. After passing i was told they a job suitable for me and I went to an interview. I was told i was the only person going, when I arrived
    I was 1 of 5 people being interviewed. After not being successful I was
    told "no other roles are suitable for you, we do not want any thing to do with you"

These people are recruitment cowboys and being honest do know how to do the job.

Approach with caution is my advice
    to any graduates, stick with the more
    well know companies

ReputationRep:
    Take all comments about Pareto with a pinch of salt. Even the good ones if you really aren't sure.

I finished uni. Looked for a job with a drama degree. Couldn't find any, so found Pareto. Be yourself at the assessment day and hope for the best. Because if you aren't yourself you won't succeed in a career in sales.

Now I'm in a great job with 20k basic salary. Company phone and brand new lenovo laptop. I drive a 63 plate A Class Merc. (I've seen a lot of people on here say the benefits of the jobs are made up, I'll upload a picture if necessary)

If you need any more persuading to give Pareto a try then don't bother and find a career you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    I was very sceptical about using a 3rd party to get a job, I always have. However from the moment I started my process with Pareto, I was very impressed, Their drive to help you succeed was second to none and I could not have wished for a better firm.
    I like how they were with you every step of the way, and how they let you know everything that was going on behind the scenes to help you.
    The Pareto employees that I dealt with were very down to earth and were more importantly a friend helping rather than a person telling me what to do. I have recommended and will continue to recommend Pareto to my friends and family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robyn02)
    I'm surprised you found time in your busy career to write such a lengthy respons
    I haven't started yet. I will start in September, 1 year training in Glasgow, then based in Bracknell or London.

Lengthy response would be a page. The comments I made take less than a minute to write....

ReputationRep:
    I applied to a job locally.

Got many calls from them until I acted as the voicemail left said last chance to attend.

Telephone interview was a bit easy to pass and general things anyone would say to make themselves get the assessment centre place.

The assessment is as described above.

I didn't do great in the 2 exercises with numbers or the moon challenge, but I made myself seem ALPHA in everything else and I passed.

30 phone calls from all different Pareto recruitment guys in the 1st week.

I went to a few interviews and they were legit but in really sales is not for me.

The consultants do really big you up like they know you personally and tell the employer your the best guy for that specific job. It's rubbish, I have no track record of anything sales'y so...

Conclusion: Although I haven't been offered a job through Pareto and still havent worked in Sales, if you are keen on anything Sales related then Pareto is worth a try but I've heard theres some **** jobs waiting at the end of the rainbow.

ReputationRep:
    I had a call off Pareto yesterday and some how managed to pass both the pre-screening and the phone interview. The advice was really good at the end of it and the lady seemed desperate to get me to attend either the Assessment day tomorrow in Manchester, or one down in London next week. Told her I couldn't make either of those so she is going to call me back to arrange me to go on the 26th.

Is anyone else out there going to be attending on the 26th in Manchester??

ReputationRep:
    I am a success story of Pareto.

I did the assessment day and I have to admit for anyone it is always a very intimidating environment. In all honesty I don't think this can be helped because it's all to play for so to speak

ReputationRep:
    My journey to finding this 'recruitment agency' was a little different to everyone elses by the looks of it. I actually applied for a job advertised from parelto law for an account manager about 20 miles from where i live on reed. The job looked good with a company car and salary of 25-30 k. i was currently working as an assistant manager with a sales background earning roughly the same so i thought i would apply and see what happened. I got a call a couple of days from the recruitment agency, so far so normal. The guy ran through a few things with me (asked about my cv, did i have a degree and what did i find most interesting about my degree. I had finished uni 4 years earlier and i have been working since so found this a little strange but i guess its some kind of 'ice breaker' just so the person feels a little bit more relaxed. He asked a few other bits, in total the call was about 15 mins long. He then said he wanted me to do a telephone interview which he launched into there and then. If you want to pass the telephone interview just talk about how you want to make money, progress and develop your skills, he loved it! needless to say i passed and i was invited to a recruitment/assessment day the next week. I was invited to the wilmslow branch, i live in the north east so about a 2/3 hour drive! i had done a little research (i read this forum and was horrified) but figured that it was mainly people who hadn't got a job from them so thought it would be a bit of good experience for an interview, i hadn't been for an interview for 4 years so felt this would be a good way to ease into it.
    Needless to say i was suited and booted, hair looking presentable and off i drove. It is a fairly easy place to find, but parking is a little difficult i found a multi story which was about a 5 min walk through the town which i only had to pay till 3 for, £2.30 i was legally parked and hot-footing it to the offices. (don't park in waitrose over the road, you only get 1.5 hours and you will be in the 'assessment' for about 6 hours!) I was told to arrive for 1pm so i was well groomed at at there offices for 12:45 sharp. I arrived and was greeted by one guy who had the worlds biggest smile, and one lass who frankly couldn't car less. A good way of passing this is shaking everyone's hard and smiling! several limp handshakes later i was give a name card and a photo was taken of me (god knows why the pic was important) but hey ho! we were then lead into a holding room.corridor with 40 odd very nervous and sweaty palmed students, all in black suits (me in my grey check suit stood out ) at 1pm you are them lead into a 'assessment room' basically about 40 chairs and that is your room for the next 6 fun hours. For the first 20 minutes there is someone who you can ask questions to the normal sort of thing is expected "how long have you worked here..." "why did you apply for this role..." "...what is the progression within parelto..." after 20 minutes of irrelevant 'question time' 5 people who are 'clients' or people plucked from the offices upstairs are ushered into seats opposite you in the corner, each armed with a clipboard.... everyone has a clipboard and you are assessed on everything..... right from stepping foot in the office big smile, handshake and be friendly! Next up you have to do your introduction, name, star sign and biggest non academic achievement. Some people tried a bit of humour and it fell flat on there face. be warned you will be questioned on your greatest academic achievement, so be aware, the guy seemed an expert on everything, one guy claimed to have knocked out amir khan (the boxer) after a bit of questioning from the sales manager, things such as how did you meet him, are you friends, it basically sounded like he made the whole thing up... #awkward! on the basis there is 40 people, this exercise is VERY time consuming, it took us about 3 hours to do!. the next thing we are split into groups, and we have to rate how important certain things are if we were marooned on the moon, they then get us back into the main holding room and tell us how dead our teams are. Next we have a task with numbers, the key to winning this is work with the other team, the objective is basically to get the highest number possible, so you can combine both scores, therefore getting the highest number possible. They look for people who stand up and are confident but they are also looking for team players. so bear that in mind!. next up 4 hours in we are allowed a 'comfort break' finally we can have a wee and freshen the deodorant up. By this time we all are rocking some serious sweat patches. the room we were in (mid may) was rocking 25'C and no windows.. bloody roasting! next we are all ushered for a 'informal interview' you are seated in a corridor with usually someone blonde and asked what your degree is, what your experience is, when you are available and the biggest part of this WOULD YOU RELOCATE! If like me you are not willing to do so, i have a house, and a life where i live, I'm not 21 and fresh out of uni. This is very much a theme throughout, are you willing to relocate, something which was said by the sales manager was about salary expectation, north 18k and south around 20k, i applied for a job advertising 25-30 k so i was massively pissed at this time. As our sales manager said, we all relocated for uni so you should relocate for work...... after this pointless questioning we are thrown back into the main room and we then got to do our presentations. I did mine infornt of 3 people, others did there infront of 1 person and didn't get the job, so i think there is something there. You are allowed 3 minutes, i basically winged it, and i think they are looking for people who are confident. If you muddle/stutter or rely to much on notes your a gonner. next you go back into the main room and they give you advise on interviews, definitely the most rewarding part of the day, simply because some people wont have previously had interviews, so a great bit of advise. At the end of the day (6 hours in) you are again broken into groups and al very x-factor style told if you got the job, i was one of the lucky ones. some people are rewarded jobs with parelto and some people are told they will pass there details to recruiters and get you set up in the next few days, you then fill in a form saying where you will be happy to work again THE EMPHASIS ON RELOCATION!. i left the office happy and the next day my phone rang and i was told my forms were a little confusing... would i be happy to move.... NO! be firm, if you dont want to relocate or you don't live in a major city, honestly i don't think this is for you. Annoyingly for me i said all through the process i would be prepared to move. The key to these guys, is you need to be prepared to move, the most annoying thing for me was i applied to what i thought was a specific job to then find the job doesn't really exist. they aren't looking for experience they are basically looking for 'a skill set' i received one call asking if i would want to relocate to manchester and nothing else. like i say if you are happy to relocate and you have nothing to lose, knock yourself out, for me i was offered something else so i was happy with that, but i wasn't happy the fact that i had applied to a specific job, to find that it didn't really exist! and they are still advertising for the same job on reed!
    personally i wouldnt put alot of hope into these guys, but like i say i think you need to be happy to relocate of live in somewhere like Manchester, Bristol, Liverpool etc, living in a mining town in north east isn't the greatest place!
    If people want to ask me anything, just send me a message. if you go good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I have been contacted by Pareto Law in which a very pushy woman has rung me and through conversation said that after i stated my interest in marketing, "Marketing isn't what you think it is, i know so many people who have left marketing for sales because you don't progress with marketing, it just closes doors"
    Effectively putting down my business area interests so i would consider her sales job offers (obvious commission bids)

This woman left a voicemail, in which i rang her back. She was too busy (why answer the phone then) and said she would ring in 15 mins. she never did.
    I rang her the next day and again, she was too busy and would ring back in 10 mins, this time she did.

after a successful phone interview i have been offered a place at the assessment day coming up, however after reading this forum, i feel as if it is a waste of time - all of this just to get on the Pareto system so they can put you forward for jobs?!

Also i was given an hour time frame for a call with the same consultant. This has come and passed and no phone call.
    I think Pareto need to hire some consultants who can actually remember to call their potential graduates back! Very unprofessional.

I don't think i will waist my time and money preparing and attending the day.
    I have better things to do like..... organise my sock drawer.

ReputationRep:
    Reading this thread reminded me of an assessment day I attended at a rival firm (1stPlaceGraduates) a while back which held exactly the same process right down to the specific group exersizes (though they didn't ask me what my star sign was, haha).

On reflection:

Be sceptical of everything they say on the phone. They don't really give a damn about you. It's important to bear in mind these agencies are thoroughly mercenary: the people on the phone will sweet talk you into being there because they're trying to make quotas and tick boxes, not because they think you're a good fit for a job. This is particularly relevant when you're a graduate who's insecure about how their degree is relevant in the business world because they will cobble something together.

However, when you arrive your degree is basically a non-factor, they're after strong speakers and nothing else. Extra-curriculars and extensive previous sales experience? Doesn't matter. It was clear on reflection that the people who gave the best presentations were the only ones to go through. If you're not a strong speaker who can easily talk in front of audiences, don't waste your time.

As for failure, it can be quite a shock to the system that's difficult not to take personally (esp. when the director was quite evidently a egomaniacal **** like mine was). When you're a young graduate who's used to some degree of consistent success being abruptly told you don't measure up can be infuriating. Try not to be discouraged, they can't grade your actual potential based on a poxy two minute presentation and a formulaic checksheet of what makes a good salesperson.

But overall I wouldn't repeat the process unless it was a company I fully trusted and that was nearby, 1stPlace were just interested in funnelling me into the assessment centre and I haven't heard from them since. I'd rather cut out the middle man and focus my time on applying to individual companies directly.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a friend who got a job through Pareto. He had a great experience and is working an awesome job now. But I think you have to have a real want to go down the sales route and be motivated by targets, money and quick progression.

I also went through an agency called Instant Impact. I had a few interviews but didn't get the jobs sadly. But they were one of the only agencies I felt that really listened to what I wanted and only put me forward for things I actually wanted. They have a similar assessment center too for just their sales jobs but I really enjoyed it and felt like I came away better rather than with that feeling my every move was being scrutinized! It's more based around training and group involvement so I'd recommend them.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.