Turn on thread page Beta

clothes size and self esteem watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LipstickKisses)
    I don't see how this can be true at all. How could a size 16 physically fit into a size 12 ?(imagine we are talking about the same style in the same shop to avoid different sizing issues)
    OH my, can I just clarify that I don't mean bigger people in general all decide to wear smaller clothes! Anyway, back to the point; she wears vest tops and cardigans (unbuttoned). I'm not too sure about jeans, but for the stretchy fabrics she certainly does buy a 12.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    OH my, can I just clarify that I don't mean bigger people in general all decide to wear smaller clothes! Anyway, back to the point; she wears vest tops and cardigans (unbuttoned). I'm not too sure about jeans, but for the stretchy fabrics she certainly does buy a 12.
    Oh right, yeah I get what you mean, that's really pointless they'd look better in the right size.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a size 6 and yes it would make me upset if I couldn't fit into a size 6 item of clothing.
    I have worked hard to lose weight (from a 10) and I pride myself on being the smallest out of my friends and a size 6 .
    I'm sure in the past week i've gone up a dress size though ... feel like i'm losing my willpower! It's hard to restrict calories but I think it's worth it. My self esteem has been improved massivley and just knowing that I can walk into a shop and pick up a size 6 dress and know I'll look good in it is priceless.

ReputationRep:
    Awful to admit, but I start to feel more warmly towards a shop when they tell me I'm a 6/XS.

ReputationRep:
    i dont care about what size clothes i wear.. i like wearing clothes that arnt too skin-tight so i get like 2 sizes above when i buy stuff like skinny jeans

ReputationRep:
    Size wise i am not bothered about what 'number' i am but I do get slightly annoyed when i find a shop doesnt stock my size or a friends size in an item we really want

vanity sizing is pointless, if you dont like your size then hopefully you should be able to do something about it but you are what you are I would much prefer if a standard format of sizing was installed because (i am ashamed to admit this) i didnt know what size i was (inch wise) till two weeks ago and i am nearly 21!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)

Yes it is. Until you have a degree in medicine you can not argue this point.
    Med student here.

Being overweight is not a disease in itself.

Being overweight simply means your BMI is >25.

When your BMI is >25 it doesn't automatically mean you are diseased/unhealthy.

Being severely overweight is associated with developing certain diseases/health problems, but that doesn't necessarily mean an overweight or obese person will develop these illnesses.

Some diseases and medications can cause a person to become overweight.

ReputationRep:
    God it's really depressing to see people here who would hate to buy clothes in a size 10.

Since when has a size 10 been a size to be "ashamed" of?! *SMH*

Anyway, I'm a US 8/10 (UK 12/14), which for someone of my height (6ft 3) is pretty much perfect. I'm usually an 8, but in some shops I'm a 10, and I'm not going to cry about it.

However, it can be difficult to hear my much shorter friends moan if they creep up to a size 8 (a 12 to you guys), especially when a couple of them label it fat. Admittedly, these two friends are very petite, and they are overweight if they reach a size 8 (12), but I just think they need to be more careful with their choice of words. I try not to let it get to me, because I know for my height, my size is healthy. I've been smaller and I look ill. Yet sometimes I do convince myself that my friends must label me as fat in private, because of my size.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Med student here.

Being severely overweight is associated with developing certain diseases/health problems, but that doesn't necessarily mean an overweight or obese person will develop these illnesses.

Yup, I was just making the point that if your weight causes damage then it is classed as a disease as the person is clearly in utter denial about being fat.
    Although some medication and problems can cause you to gain weight, there are few people who can claim that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Yup, I was just making the point that if your weight causes damage then it is classed as a disease as the person is clearly in utter denial about being fat..
    Being fat is not a classified as a disease.

ReputationRep:
    Being fat is not a classified as a disease.
    I thought it was if being fat gave you complications........or do I need to be more specific eg. overweight or obese? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    God it's really depressing to see people here who would hate to buy clothes in a size 10.

Since when has a size 10 been a size to be "ashamed" of?! *SMH*

Anyway, I'm a US 8/10 (UK 12/14), which for someone of my height (6ft 3) is pretty much perfect. I'm usually an 8, but in some shops I'm a 10, and I'm not going to cry about it.

However, it can be difficult to hear my much shorter friends moan if they creep up to a size 8 (a 12 to you guys), especially when a couple of them label it fat. Admittedly, these two friends are very petite, and they are overweight if they reach a size 8 (12), but I just think they need to be more careful with their choice of words. I try not to let it get to me, because I know for my height, my size is healthy. I've been smaller and I look ill. Yet sometimes I do convince myself that my friends must label me as fat in private, because of my size.
    As a short girl with tall friends, we really don't mean that you are fat when we say that a size 12 would look fat on us. Having been a UK 12/14, it does look fat on me, because I'm over a foot shorter than you. Your clothes size, and whether you look fat at that size or not, is obviously relative to your height.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beautiful.In.Los.Angeles.)
    I'm a size 6 and yes it would make me upset if I couldn't fit into a size 6 item of clothing.
    I have worked hard to lose weight (from a 10) and I pride myself on being the smallest out of my friends and a size 6 .
    I'm sure in the past week i've gone up a dress size though ... feel like i'm losing my willpower! It's hard to restrict calories but I think it's worth it. My self esteem has been improved massivley and just knowing that I can walk into a shop and pick up a size 6 dress and know I'll look good in it is priceless.
    good luck maintaining that =P clearly you're not at the weight nature intended you to be, whether it looks good in dresses or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beautiful.In.Los.Angeles.)

Rather worrying post here........

ReputationRep:
    I have never been any bigger than a size six and my self esteem is non-existent, so for me personally there is no correlation whatsoever. However, my lack of self esteem isn't related to weight but I suppose you could say that being slim does not in any way make me feel better about myself.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a size 6 to 8. I tend to be a 6 in tops and dresses, and an 8 in shorts and jeans (and yes, if I can't fit in an 8 in a shop it makes me feel like a beached whale!). I have to say I get a ridiculous thrill when I can fit in a smaller size - I managed to fit into a size 6 bodycon skirt and it made me feel amazing because it was such a tiny size! But the very fact that I can wear 6s and 8s is stupid, because I have a bum. Yeah, I'm small up top, but I certainly have a bottom and they're obviously making the size 6s a lot bigger if a girl with a big bottom can fit into them. Vanity sizing really irritates me, because a lot of shops don't stock anything smaller than an 8, and an 8 nowadays is more like an old 12, so you often can't find anything small enough. I'm not even that tiny, so I don't know how skinny girls manage to find clothes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a size 12-14 and I feel a lot better than a few months ago when I was 14-16 and I've only lost half a stone. I don't feel happy about my body at ALL, especially with these skinny girls at uni, but I'm learning to accept myself. I think it's a lot about confidence too, I saw a girl in Topshop the other day who must've been a 16/18 and she was literally the most beautiful girl I've ever seen... It's not just about the size. Not to me, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persephone9)
    As a short girl with tall friends, we really don't mean that you are fat when we say that a size 12 would look fat on us. Having been a UK 12/14, it does look fat on me, because I'm over a foot shorter than you. Your clothes size, and whether you look fat at that size or not, is obviously relative to your height.
    Yeah I know they don't mean it like that, but it's just how my mind seems to process it. Not so much now but certainly when I was in high school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaylalou07)
    Hey lovelies!

I'm currently doing some research for my dissertation. I'm looking at how clothes sizes affect a woman's self esteem.
    How do you feel about wearing larger / smaller size clothes? For example, would you feel better if you could slip into a size 10 rather than a 14, or does size really not matter?
    Along with this, do you like/dislike'vanity sizing'? Some women I have spoken to have said that it is a good thing, others have said that it is a really bad thing, and that the clothing industry should have a standardized sizing system. What do YOU think? Do you get frustrated at being different sizes in different shops, and if so, who do you think the worst offenders are?

Thanks for your help (in advance!) K x
    I feel bad because most clothes are too big for me, as shops rarely stock lower than an 8. And onto the next point, it really pisses me off when the sizes vary between shops, like in Matalan the smallest size is an 8 but it is always enormous on me, whereas in some shops, like H&M, I can sometimes wear an 8. It would be good if the clothing industry had standardised sizes. Worst offenders as above.

I am small and very flat-chested, so I am usually about a 6-8 bottom and probably 6 or less top. I feel down because it's very difficult to find clothes that aren't too big.

It does really annoy me that clothes are different sizes in different shops. For me the worst offender is Matalan, where any size 8 is absolutely huge on me, whereas in some shops like H&M, and 8 is occasionally small enough for me. It would be ideal if the industry had standard sizes.

ReputationRep:
    Med student here.

I thought the whole BMI thing had changed now to waist -> hip ratio instead?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/tools/hi...to_waist.shtml

I am classed as underweight by BMI but by this, I'm 0.68 which is in the 'excellent' catergory.

But again, everyone has a different shape not everyone has curves, and I mean real curves not this new fad of 'bigger' girls calling themselves curvy when they're waist in the same width as their hips?

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.