Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The embarrasment of buying bottled water, I try to avoid it but sometimes it's just unavoidable.

50p for half a litre...of water; the shame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent)
    The embarrasment of buying bottled water, I try to avoid it but sometimes it's just unavoidable.

At my uni its £1 for a 500ml bottle!

ReputationRep:
    I lament the days when you could get a bottle of drink without paying more than a quid.

And while i'm at it, bought a mcdonalds meal yesterday, and the regular size cost £4.09. When you've worked there before and know how little it costs to make it make, and how little you get for your money it makes you want to cry.

ReputationRep:
    KFC. Tiny portions for your money, and it's not cheap either.

ReputationRep:
    Domino's is about £15 in the UK, and about £3 in India, for the same size of pizza with the same ingredients. Excellent profit.

(Original post by Just-Some-Guy)
    Nuts.........any kind of nuts are ridiculously overpriced, ever since they've been heavily advertised, you cn only find them in the "healthy foods£ or "good to you£ section and as a result, price = doubled!!
    They're really expensive everywhere, if you go to the Middle East, even in places where they collect them, they're not really much cheaper than in the West.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Right Guard 3.D)
    You say that, but you're still paying £350+ for either Gingerbread or Honeycomb

Ok, crap joke but I had to say it
    :muse:

its better than an apple

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)

How many legs do they have then?
    Legs have lower demand. Every sad **** on a slow fat diet is chasing down the skinless chicken breasts. they're more versatile as well, I suppose. Most people won't do a curry on the bone, will they?

ReputationRep:
    It's a good thing I abhor it, otherwise I'd be screeching to holy heavens how overpriced Kellogg's Krave is. For how dire it is in comparison to the superior cereals it copied (that seem to get no publicity whatsoever despite being dirt-cheap and DELICIOUS), £3 a box is a punch in the guts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_sperl)
    Krispy Kremes, can't believe the pricing on them is serious.
    But those doughnuts are so damn gooood!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    £2 in Iceland, I think it's 2ltr as well..
    :sexface: You God.

£2.82 is Sainsbury's price though, but I've seen similar in other shops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent)

I always think the same for ice cubes..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by briesandwich)
    :sexface: You God.

£2.82 is Sainsbury's price though, but I've seen similar in other shops.
    you should check though I'm not 100% on if it's 2ltr. I actually work there, but the non-frozen section isn't my thing. All I know is it's like some % extra free, and I think it takes it from a lower amount up to 2ltr.

ReputationRep:
    A while ago I saw a bag of cherries for £9. Nine pounds. Nine. I can't get my head round the fact that Tescos think people want cherries that badly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~DamasceneMoon~)
    A while ago I was a bag of cherries
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Ben and Jerrys £2.44 in morrisons the 'large' tub hurry offer ends sunday. The orginal price as around £5. Run run run

ReputationRep:
    Costa Coffee are pretty bad for their little cakes, Mind you no-ones making me buy them. They are good though!

For rocky road etc that they do in the coffee shops I just make my own. So simple and you get loads for your money. I spent about a fiver on ingredients and I got back 40 good pieces of rocky road. Its always better when you make it yourself too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordltfc)
    :eek:
    looooooool I'm tired

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    Pizza Hut and Dominos Pizza have the highest profit markup of any takeaway junk food chain.

Yeah. THAT.
    Looking at the cost for the margherita, I actually think they're a bit on the high side. That's saying a pizza base costs 55p, but I frequently make pizza at home (roughly 11-12" so a touch smaller) and the total cost of ingredients to me per base is approximately 13p, which is a LONG way short of 55p...and a business buying ingredients wholesale and in bulk will be able to acquire them much cheaper than I can get them by wandering around the aisles of my local Tesco.

ReputationRep:
    I know Dalimyr, even erring on the side of caution and overestimating, it's quite high for the raw ingredients, but it only further proves HOW INSANELY FILTHILY overpriced Dominos and Pizza Hut are. 900% markup for such a simple, cheap dish? Can you imagine if other products had a 900% price markup?

Imagine if a takeaway offered Beans on Toast as a takeaway option for £9. Would you buy it? Same kinda deal really.

ReputationRep:
    After eating a bog standard pizza from Pizza hut last week, and seeing the rubbish that my friend ordered from Dominos last month (I've never seen texan bbq look so unappealing), I'm losing faith in pizza, and the prices aint helping.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.