Turn on thread page Beta

The golden age of music was 1950s to 1990s, music today isn't as good watch

yes, the talent is "out there", but out where? what made the good old days so great was that the music really was OUT THERE, it was pop, and it was respectable and timeless (evidently). all these awesome incredible independent bands of today may be just as talented (if you can measure this) but they aren't making any impact on the musical landscape of our world.
    yeah, we ****ed **** up. we ruined music with our viral downloading and now the record labels don't want to risk making anything out of the ordinary popular because the few that actually buy **** probably wouldn't buy that ****.
    catch my drift?

ReputationRep:
    There are still good bands producing music today. End of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zonk Machine)
    yes, the talent is "out there", but out where? what made the good old days so great was that the music really was OUT THERE, it was pop, and it was respectable and timeless (evidently). all these awesome incredible independent bands of today may be just as talented (if you can measure this) but they aren't making any impact on the musical landscape of our world.
    yeah, we ****ed **** up. we ruined music with our viral downloading and now the record labels don't want to risk making anything out of the ordinary popular because the few that actually buy **** probably wouldn't buy that ****.
    catch my drift?
    This is the main point of the entire argument. All this music that is remembered was pop music (pop being popular). Since the late 80's/early 90's pop has become a genre in itself, meaning that the Beatles, arguably the most famous 'pop' act of all time, cannot be classified in that genre any more.

Sure, great music does still exist, and I love searching for it. But the great music of the past was remembered for being popular and in the charts, not because a few fans tracked it down and listened to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    There are still good bands producing music today. End of.
    Be more confrontational yo. Your lack of banning and excessively high greens disappointing me.

(Original post by billybo_h)
    This is the main point of the entire argument. All this music that is remembered was pop music (pop being popular). Since the late 80's/early 90's pop has become a genre in itself, meaning that the Beatles, arguably the most famous 'pop' act of all time, cannot be classified in that genre any more.

Sure, great music does still exist, and I love searching for it. But the great music of the past was remembered for being popular and in the charts, not because a few fans tracked it down and listened to it.
    right.
    and the music we have today that has the kind of fanbase that the Beatles had is Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga etc and other artists that are infamous like Rebecca Black and her spastic friend in the video clip on the car who has her own song now. and i don't like those people so i agree that music today isn't as good.

ReputationRep:
    Face it guys, the music business is dead. The best years of music and for musicians are behind us. Bands used to make millions from their success, now bands struggle to make any money. It's gone now, it's not a great time for musicians. Sure, musicians can promote themselves with all this internet technology, but they can't make money. The best era for music was before the year 2000.

Musicians today will make less money and be more unknown and make less impact on the music world, end of. There will never be another Beatles or Rolling Stones or Jimi Hendrix, nobody will come along and change the face of music. Those days are gone. Also, music means less to people now. People are too distracted by **** like Facebook and reality tv and all the other superficial things in this artificial world, so music isn't the big force in peoples' lives that it once was. Once upon a time a guy who was good at the guitar was like 'wow', not it's 'just another guitarist'. Damn, this era sucks for musicians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovehunter)
    Face it guys, the music business is dead. The best years of music and for musicians are behind us. Bands used to make millions from their success, now bands struggle to make any money. It's gone now, it's not a great time for musicians. Sure, musicians can promote themselves with all this internet technology, but they can't make money. The best era for music was before the year 2000.

Musicians today will make less money and be more unknown and make less impact on the music world, end of. There will never be another Beatles or Rolling Stones or Jimi Hendrix, nobody will come along and change the face of music. Those days are gone. Also, music means less to people now. People are too distracted by **** like Facebook and reality tv and all the other superficial things in this artificial world, so music isn't the big force in peoples' lives that it once was. Once upon a time a guy who was good at the guitar was like 'wow', not it's 'just another guitarist'. Damn, this era sucks for musicians.
    I've highlighted what is killing a lot of today's music.

Hope that helped you.

In other words, good music is still out there, and there's musicians who know they're not going to make MILLIONS and they don't care, they just want to make a living while making fantastic music.

I love lots of music from every era, come at me bro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Load of crap. Music is as good as it was. You just have to search for it now. Creativity will always live so good music will always be there.
    Quite.

ReputationRep:
    But music today is better than music of yesteryear OP.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.