Turn on thread page Beta

I am SICK of Americans... and Brits are turning into them :( watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lol_Fish)
    -Continues to laugh-
    Okay, I would have thought you wouldn't take what I say literally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DYKWIA)
    I like the UK, would like to study there. I just can't help myself when someone makes insulting comments about the US. :P I can be defensive sometimes.
    wherever i go on the internet i see yank-bashing from brits but i go to a uni which has more americans than english people and theres none of it whatsoever irl

ReputationRep:
    I like the UK, would like to study there. I just can't help myself when someone makes insulting comments about the US. :P I can be defensive sometimes.
    Well. we like to moan, i don't think many would argue otherwise - FYI i'm the opposite - would love to go to UT to study for a year or so - but if I started going on American sites and commenting on every anti-european thread ever made i would get bored pretty quickly. we all get defensive about our homeland. not worth getting involved.

TBH, given we number 60 million and americans number 350 million, i'm surprised the UK still has so much influence on america - look at hollywood

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adobe)
    wherever i go on the internet i see yank-bashing from brits but i go to a uni which has more americans than english people and theres none of it whatsoever irl
    heh, what do you expect? You're far more anonymous online and can speak your mind much more freely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adobe)
    Nice way to distort what I've wrote, I did in no way specify or mention anything to do with New York, I'm not a "Yank" basher, I just believe that I can express my non-discriminative view point. After all, everyone's entitled to a opinion, as long as it's not unlawful. Relating University life, from the information you've collated from here, totally irrelevant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pwn4g3_P13)
    Well. we like to moan, i don't think many would argue otherwise - FYI i'm the opposite - would love to go to UT to study for a year or so - but if I started going on American sites and commenting on every anti-european thread ever made i would get bored pretty quickly. we all get defensive about our homeland. not worth getting involved.

TBH, given we number 60 million and americans number 350 million, i'm surprised the UK still has so much influence on america - look at hollywood
    What's in Utah?

Also, I don't know that britain has very much influence in the US. At least, not much more than other european countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pwn4g3_P13)
    Canada is only 30 million and we still managed to give the world Bieber!

HA, just kidding - we're not proud of that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPDub)

I read the first half, and almost.. wtf'd and then read the last part, and smiled.. : )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Failed)
    I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say...

but from what I *think* you're trying to say, I'm gonna say no.

Ass and Arse have two different spellings and two different pronounciations, but the same meaning. They're two separate words, with the same meaning. Just like any other two words with the same meaning, like 'buy' and 'purchase'. You're only getting confused because 'arse' and 'ass' sound vaguely similar whereas 'buy' and 'purchase' sound very different, you would never say they are the same word, despite have exactly the same meaning.

Tomato is only ever spelt tomato, it may have two different pronounciations, but it is always spelt the same, it's always the same word, spell it differently and you have a non-existing word with no meaning. Two different pronounciations and spellings does not correspond to two different meanings.
    my bad, i seem to have been having an off day when i posted that

ReputationRep:
    Nice way to distort what I've wrote, I did in no way specify or mention anything to do with New York, I'm not a "Yank" basher, I just believe that I can express my non-discriminative view point. After all, everyone's entitled to a opinion, as long as it's not unlawful. Relating University life, from the information you've collated from here, totally irrelevant?
    Also, do you not believe that the USA and its citizens collectively own the land in the US? I'd say we do. I'd be kinda annoyed if Mexico tried to take away our land.

ReputationRep:
    heh, what do you expect? You're far more anonymous online and can speak your mind much more freely.
    Here's a tip, if you don't like what someone's saying do the following:

a) Come up with a successful counter argument.

b) Leave it alone, and ignore it.

No need to get grumpy. And no, it's not due to anonymity that people say things, I'd give you my address and say it right in your face, I couldn't care less. I speak my mind, dis regardless if it's on-line or face to face.

ReputationRep:
    What's in Utah?

Also, I don't know that britain has very much influence in the US. At least, not much more than other european countries.
    I mean University of Tennnessee

A lot of shops, corporations - Tv shows, actors, music etc It wasn't the most researched post in the world, but still

ReputationRep:
    So many over-generalisations, so little time!

Personally I hate it when some people say "awesome", it just doesn't sound right for some reason. Other than that though I don't mind Americanisms that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPDub)

& Celine Dion.

I kid. I loved Scott Pilgrim vs the world and therefore our canadian brethren

ReputationRep:
    Also, do you not believe that the USA and its citizens collectively own the land in the US? I'd say we do. I'd be kinda annoyed if Mexico tried to take away our land.
    "US Citizens" don't own a chunk of land, that belongs to nature.

ReputationRep:
    "US Citizens" don't own a chunk of land, that belongs to nature.
    Fine, we look after it for nature. We still have more right to it than people from other countries though. TBH, the whole concept of 'owning' the land is moot when it comes to nature - a river doesn't care if you own a farm and flooding that farm would be bad for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    I'm not as bad as some of the Americans on Youtube. I admit that I am eccentric in my opinions, but I don't believe in fallen-angels, Annunaki, lizzard-kings and bearded sky-gods.
    I believe you've just described David Icke.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like Americans, I think they are allowed to get away with too much that by other peoples, not afforded their haughty, precious sense of importance, would be seen as rude/pathetic/vain etc. I find them incredibly boring, and righteous too(lectures about why America is so much more moral etc)

I still think our youth have many facets distinct from them, but they are less aware of their heritage and more American influenced now I think. That may be due to failures in education also.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with this thread. If American sounded so much cooler and flamboyant than English then I might see where it stems from, but the dumb sheep like adoption of American upward intonation and using the word "like" before every fifth word, for example, just makes an English speaking person somehow sound more stupid. Not to mention fake gangstah talk which is a whole category in itself.

You would have thought if we were going to "nick" bits out of another language we might do it in the way that we nick French words "entrepreneur" (although don't tell that to Bush), "restaurant", etc. that actually make us sound more sophisticated. Not stuff that makes us sound like our IQ's gone down by 30% on the spot.

This isn't meant to be an insult to the American language as such, I just think that the combination of being English and trying to speak American sounds somehow wrong. Could it be that they "clash" because they are so similar?

All of these peculiarities sound better when done in a genuine American accent IMHO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miryo)
    Americans have a better way of life than Brits. Their culture is so much better, our culture is full of hatred, despite and jealousy. We have no moral values and drinking has become the only reason to live for many Brits. The closer we get to America the better.
    Rose tinted springs to mind, if you knew the US inside out you wouldn't think like that.
    And they are not lacking in hatred, whatever The Cosbies and The Waltons have led you to believe.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.