The Student Room Group

What would you call a 'bad driver'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by PapaShmurff
If you see the guy in front slowing right down you should just hold back abit to not end up in the middle of a junction like a total moron instead of assuming every inch of space is going to be filled.

obviously :rolleyes:
Reply 81
Original post by snufkin_
Completely agree. Not just this but the other day I was on a motorway, there were roadworks so it was 50mph limit so I was going a steady 50 (lots of speed cameras around) and I was in the lanes with the lorries going 50, and a lorry came right up behind me full beams flashing to try and get me to move as everyone was going that pace so he couldn't have overtook. Really irritated and almost blinded me!

This! The M62 is covered in average speed cameras at the moment and I always go bang on 50mph, yet lorry drivers always drive dead close to me wanting me to hurry up or something. So annoying :frown: And that's in the inside lane too.
Reply 82
Original post by Belle-x
This! The M62 is covered in average speed cameras at the moment and I always go bang on 50mph, yet lorry drivers always drive dead close to me wanting me to hurry up or something. So annoying :frown: And that's in the inside lane too.

bang on 50mph on your speedo is more like 45mph in real life, which is probably why you are frustrating the lorries who may have more accurate speedometers than you.

You also don't get busted unless you go 10% over for any portion, so you don't need to worry about going a little bit over.

I normally cruise through the 70mph average speed zone on the A14 with my needle on 80mph. You'll find most experienced drivers do this.
Reply 83
Original post by Belle-x

Also this! I'm sick of people (particularly lorries) doing this to me in average 50 zones. I'm not going to get myself a ticket just so you can get to your destination two minutes earlier.
someone who's on the phone, seriously can it not wait?
people who overtake you even though your driving at the correct speed
when there's traffic and so some people go in the empty lane, hoping someone will let them in at the front, surely you can wait just like everyone else!
Reply 85
Original post by py0alb
bang on 50mph on your speedo is more like 45mph in real life, which is probably why you are frustrating the lorries who may have more accurate speedometers than you.

You also don't get busted unless you go 10% over for any portion, so you don't need to worry about going a little bit over.

I normally cruise through the 70mph average speed zone on the A14 with my needle on 80mph. You'll find most experienced drivers do this.

Well my speedo says 50, why would I go 55 on my speedo when I don't know how accurate this is? "Sorry policeman, I thought my speedo was a bit under so I went a bit faster" - no.
Reply 86
Original post by messy_teardrops
when there's traffic and so some people go in the empty lane, hoping someone will let them in at the front, surely you can wait just like everyone else!

Actually thats what you're meant to do because it maximises road capacity and everyone gets home faster. There are examples from the US of cops having to tazer people who selfishly refuse to let in late mergers. I think they should bring that in here. :biggrin:
Reply 87
Original post by Belle-x
Well my speedo says 50, why would I go 55 on my speedo when I don't know how accurate this is? "Sorry policeman, I thought my speedo was a bit under so I went a bit faster" - no.

Well thats your decision, but then don't complain when other road users get pissed off with your shaky nervous driving.

What policeman anyway? I thought you said it was an average speed check.
Original post by Belle-x
Well my speedo says 50, why would I go 55 on my speedo when I don't know how accurate is? "Sorry policeman, I thought my speedo was a bit under so I went a bit faster" - no.

If you do want to get an idea how accurate yours is, then sat navs help as they display speed as well and are more accurate. Mine is 5 out but the boy's car is only 2/3 out.

Besides, you should drive in the left hand lane, there is no need to be in the right hand one/two if you aren't going any faster than those in the left.
Reply 89
Either a Lady or an Asian - they are terrible..
p.s i'm an asian myself and I am terrible! I don't even know how i passed my test ahaahaha
Reply 90
Cutting corners. Literally and otherwise. I have a freind who refuses to use her handbrake unless she's parking, so uses the footbrake constantly. Not so bad, you might think, but in a traffic jam on a hill? When she starts to creep forewars/backward without noticing? Scary.
Reply 91
People who are reckless and take risks on the road.
Reply 92
sure someone must have said this but the kind that only seem to be able to do 40mph.

right up close behind you at 30.. or driving infuriatingly slowly anywhere else xD

or, the other day i had someone on a 60mph road drive SO close behind me i couldn't see his headlights. I was doing 60, but my main query is that the road was EMPTY in the other direction, so he could have very easily overtook me if he was so desperate to go racing off..
this seriously confused me!
In Northern Ireland, during the year after you pass your test you can't drive more than 45 mph (R plates). So frustrating when you're on a road with a higher speed limit, people will get really aggressive and tailgate you and other stuff. ffs take it up with the DVA not me, I didn't make the rules :colonhash:

also people who are unaware of the existence of their indicator
Original post by py0alb
Because of your selfish - and entirely deliberate - actions, a car has been unable to clear the junction.

Which they didn't have to enter in the first place.

How much of a rush are you in that gaining a few feet takes priority over waiting at the lights.
Reply 95
Original post by Pony Jack
Which they didn't have to enter in the first place.

How much of a rush are you in that gaining a few feet takes priority over waiting at the lights.

So the person has made a mistake. Big deal, we all make misjudgements. But you are now deliberately endangering his life. That is a far, far more serious offence.

What are you, some kind of self appointed ****ing vigilante that goes around teaching drivers "a lesson" whenever you see someone make a misjudgement?

You're a ****ing disgrace jack pony. Making a mistake is one thing but deliberately driving dangerously just to teach someone a lesson is worthy of a jail sentence.
Original post by py0alb
So the person has made a mistake. Big deal, we all make misjudgements. But you are now deliberately endangering his life. That is a far, far more serious offence.

What are you, some kind of self appointed ****ing vigilante that goes around teaching drivers "a lesson" whenever you see someone make a misjudgement?

You're a ****ing disgrace jack pony. Making a mistake is one thing but deliberately driving dangerously just to teach someone a lesson is worthy of a jail sentence.

If there was a dick behind me that was impatient enough to come through a junction with a queue on the other side, then yes, I would stay where I was. Chances are, as it's a JUNCTION, the traffic coming across is going to be controlled, so they would hardly be going too fast to react to said dick, never mind wipe them out in the oh-so-dramatic way you've described.

Jog the **** on, keyboard warrior.
Reply 97
Original post by Pony Jack
If there was a dick behind me that was impatient enough to come through a junction with a queue on the other side, then yes, I would stay where I was. Chances are, as it's a JUNCTION, the traffic coming across is going to be controlled, so they would hardly be going too fast to react to said dick, never mind wipe them out in the oh-so-dramatic way you've described.

Jog the **** on, keyboard warrior.

lol, you've basically just admitted to being a terrible driver, then realising that you've lost the argument, you've resorted to rather cliched ad hominems (keyboard warrior? could you not think of a more original insult?).

Just for the record, I would normally leave a decent sized gap in front of my car, but I always try to be aware of potential situations developing behind me, and I would always move up in this situation to try and help the guy behind me out.
I don't judge him for making a mistake, I go out of my way to try and make the roads safer for everyone.

This is the difference between me and you: I try to be a considerate, attentive driver. As you have admitted, you are the opposite: selfish, aggressive, and a self appointed vigilante psychopath with little concern for other road users.
I have to admit, I tend to hesitate crossing the lights when I'm not sure that there's space for me to get accross, and usually people cotton on there may not be space and tend to wait. If someone does end up stuck behind me I'd move forward as much as possible as there are some really nasty junctions around here and a lot of them a nightmare to see before you find yourself stuck, knowing there will be traffic coming round the roundabout and probably not expecting people in the box junction.

Can you two keep it civil, please :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by py0alb
lol, you've basically just admitted to being a terrible driver, then realising that you've lost the argument, you've resorted to rather cliched ad hominems (keyboard warrior? could you not think of a more original insult?).

Just for the record, I would normally leave a decent sized gap in front of my car, but I always try to be aware of potential situations developing behind me, and I would always move up in this situation to try and help the guy behind me out.
I don't judge him for making a mistake, I go out of my way to try and make the roads safer for everyone.

This is the difference between me and you: I try to be a considerate, attentive driver. As you have admitted, you are the opposite: selfish, aggressive, and a self appointed vigilante psychopath with little concern for other road users.

Here's an idea, instead of proclaiming you're the most considerate driver on the planet on the internet, how about you join the police or something? In fact, if you are as you describe, what the **** are you doing on the internet when you could be out saving lives?

If you are as considerate a driver as you describe, then good on you, but the sad truth is you're in a minority. There's a certain level of selflessness everyone needs to be at to coexist on the roads, but if someone can't plan far enough ahead to see a queue on the other side of a junction, I'd question their fundamental ability to drive safely at all!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply