Olympic Swimming Thread Watch

Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by roh)
Yeah some US coach, John Leonard, compared her to the old East Germans.

People are acting like she's come out of nowhere, but she blew the field away last year with an insane freestyle in the 200 IM, that at only 16 she's continued to make quite big improvements isn't a massive shock, and her technique is sublime.

No one questioned Phelps at 15 or started yelling doping the second Missy Franklin emerged so it smacks hypocrisy to suddenly decide that Ye is definitely doping with no evidence.
Agreed shes innocent until proven guilty just reeks of sour grapes.
extom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
thought i had tickets to Thursdays night swimming, came up with card details and everything , then after i click confirm says tickets unavailable
roh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by johnharris19944)
Agreed shes innocent until proven guilty just reeks of sour grapes.
Yeah. I think it's odd that a woman who is quite likely the strongest women's freestyler in the world right now doesn't swim the 200 or 400 free, but if anything that suggests the opposite to what people are claiming.
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by roh)
Yeah. I think it's odd that a woman who is quite likely the strongest women's freestyler in the world right now doesn't swim the 200 or 400 free, but if anything that suggests the opposite to what people are claiming.
It kind of does it could be interpreted both ways, im probably thinking shes young and therefore they dont want her too go all out in her first Olympics because she should still be as good the next one baring any injuries though she could end up like Steph Rice.
roh
Rep:
?
(Original post by johnharris19944)
It kind of does it could be interpreted both ways, im probably thinking shes young and therefore they dont want her too go all out in her first Olympics because she should still be as good the next one baring any injuries though she could end up like Steph Rice.
Could be, not sure what China's selection process is like either. It's very secretive so there could be some internal politics not dissimilar to the Aaron Cook thing over here, but unpublicised.

Be interesting to see if she goes after Kukors' WR tonight, I thought that was basically untouchable as one of the techsuit record like men's 50 and 800 free but she's certainly got a shot.
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by roh)
Could be, not sure what China's selection process is like either. It's very secretive so there could be some internal politics not dissimilar to the Aaron Cook thing over here, but unpublicised.

Be interesting to see if she goes after Kukors' WR tonight, I thought that was basically untouchable as one of the techsuit record like men's 50 and 800 free but she's certainly got a shot.
Ahh in the 200m IM female? I think she has a very good shot who knows, but yeah i agree i thought that this would be one that wouldn't be broken for a long time.
TRS-T
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How come teenagers can win and get Olympic medals in swimming?

You don't see any teenagers winning in athletics...

Is Michael Phelps really past his peak at 27 years of age?
roh
Rep:
?
(Original post by TRS-T)
How come teenagers can win and get Olympic medals in swimming?

You don't see any teenagers winning in athletics...

Is Michael Phelps really past his peak at 27 years of age?
It happens a lot less in men's these days than it used to, as pro swimming's become more common and most male medallists are now in their 20s.

I think a reason swimmers retire early is because, as Phelps has, they get bored of it and, for some, their bodies can't take it any more. Swimming is incredibly training intensive, even a half decent club swimmer will do 5 sessions a week and the pros will do two 2 or 3 hour sessions a day plus land training. Gradually fatigue, whether mental or physical, with this kind of routine sets in.

Becky Adlington did an interview saying it felt more against her natural physiology now, as it was saying and I quote 'baby, baby' whilst she was telling it 'swimming, swimming' and there's only so long you can keep that up for.

And it's not unheard of. Bolt probably would have but for injuries and Alonso Edward took the Silver behind him in 09. Current example is Kirani James in the 400m. It's pretty common in other sports, football for example, too.
roh
Rep:
?
Props to Chad Le Clos but end of the night all about Phelps. The unpredictability of this Olympics just proving how insane what he did in Beijing was.
roh
Rep:
?
If any American comes out and fingerpoints at Ye Shiwen anymore, unless she has a positive A test obviously, then someone needs to laugh in their face and point out Franklin and Ledecky.

Incidentally did anyone see Manadou pulling that off?!
siani-chan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by roh)
If any American comes out and fingerpoints at Ye Shiwen anymore, unless she has a positive A test obviously, then someone needs to laugh in their face and point out Franklin and Ledecky.

I agree, no query about either Franklin or Ledecky from Leonard, eh? Funny that. :rolleyes: Pure sour grapes.
drummer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by roh)

Will Ye compete anymore? I thought the last of the swimming games are the long distance 1500m?
roh
Rep:
?
(Original post by drummer)
Will Ye compete anymore? I thought the last of the swimming games are the long distance 1500m?
No her Olympics are over, as they are for most swimmers now. But she'll be back for World Champs next year barring injury.
roh
Rep:
?
(Original post by siani-chan)
I agree, no query about either Franklin or Ledecky from Leonard, eh? Funny that. :rolleyes: Pure sour grapes.
Yep. Also, I see you're at Leicester, do you swim for uni by any chance?
PGtips
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I want to see that US coach come out and eat his words about Ye Shiwen's "disturbing" performance. He was humbled by his own country girl. I think she did fabulously well, really did come out of nowhere for this one.

Adlington will be back, I'm sure of it. Form is temporary, class is permanent.
lankymanky
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PGtips)
I want to see that US coach come out and eat his words about Ye Shiwen's "disturbing" performance. He was humbled by his own country girl. I think she did fabulously well, really did come out of nowhere for this one.
Agreed but I haven't read any remorse expressed from him thus far for his unreasonable rush to judgement.

Thankfully there are more people who are vocally in disagreement with him than there are in agreement.
siani-chan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by roh)
Yep. Also, I see you're at Leicester, do you swim for uni by any chance?
Pah no. Swimming soc is really cliquey, even if I could swim at their pace I wouldn't want to be in with them. I can't swim that well anyway. I never went to a swimming club or anything either, I just swim for leisure. Hoping to drop some weight and maybe I can sort my technique out too, but I don't really fancy joining a club. Don't want to be the slowest there.

Edit: I felt mean posting that. I have met some people in swim soc who are lovely, but I just find the majority to be cliquey. Didn't mean to be so harsh.
roh
Rep:
?
Pah no. Swimming soc is really cliquey, even if I could swim at their pace I wouldn't want to be in with them. I can't swim that well anyway. I never went to a swimming club or anything either, I just swim for leisure. Hoping to drop some weight and maybe I can sort my technique out too, but I don't really fancy joining a club. Don't want to be the slowest there.
OI To be fair they may well have been cliquey this year I wasn't there, weren't during my first and second year though. Makes sense though thinking about it, apparently it's been much smaller this year and they seem to hang around together a lot outside of training and socials.

Be nice and easy to do that this year, two pools!! :eek:
siani-chan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by roh)
OI To be fair they may well have been cliquey this year I wasn't there, weren't during my first and second year though. Makes sense though thinking about it, apparently it's been much smaller this year and they seem to hang around together a lot outside of training and socials.

Be nice and easy to do that this year, two pools!! :eek:
Haha fair enough - I think part of it is that I'm quite quiet and I find it intimidating to go up to a group of people. It's easier when they seperate off My housemate goes but she really doesn't enjoy herself because she feels the same way I do, I think she's thinking of stopping, which is a little sad.

Indeed, though the pool on campus is a little small for my liking and FAR too busy. (Well, sometimes it's not that bad, I just can't stand people who block the end of the lanes up, and people who swim up the lanes in pairs. :rolleyes) I wonder what the manor road pool will be like?
roh
Rep:
?
Haha fair enough - I think part of it is that I'm quite quiet and I find it intimidating to go up to a group of people. It's easier when they seperate off My housemate goes but she really doesn't enjoy herself because she feels the same way I do, I think she's thinking of stopping, which is a little sad.

Indeed, though the pool on campus is a little small for my liking and FAR too busy. (Well, sometimes it's not that bad, I just can't stand people who block the end of the lanes up, and people who swim up the lanes in pairs. :rolleyes) I wonder what the manor road pool will be like?
Oh, hopefully they'll sort that out next year. Quiet isn't how I'd describe swimming, or any sports team, though. There's a lot us coming back so it should be bigger and hopefully more open next year.

Is it a 20m? Turnfest special.

Swimming up a lane in pairs?! Who does that?! Apparently Oadby's going to be a 25 so should be bigger.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads