This discussion is closed.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi)
What of swimmimg? Kayaking? Yes, athletics. What of a multitude of sports - I'm not thinking of darts here am I - that give different opportunities? PE as it is today is completely pointless no matter what people like you, who seem to be one of those who denounce anyone with a body fat over 10%, say.
If they're physicall rigorous enough they should be taught, but whilst I'm no logistician I can forsee problems in getting inner city school kids kayaking...

(Original post by tehFrance)
Unless it is just the school I went to in this country, athletics is taught greatly (not things like Javelin though, deemed too dangerous), we did more athletics than football and rugby.
My school had good grounds with a running track, shot-put area, plenty of room to throw javelins etc. Although my school was definitely an anomaly in the amount of athletics facilities it had; many schools have nowhere near the amount of facilities that mine enjoyed - and also vastly underused too!
obi_adorno_kenobi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Smack)
If they're physically rigorous enough they should be taught, but whilst I'm no logistician I can forsee problems in getting inner city school kids kayaking...
You do it in swimming pools using indoor boats. It's not that hard to work out. Physically rigorous enough? Having kids walking for 30 minutes a day is good enough.
eff01
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Mr Speaker, I would like to ask the spokesman for education why science (including chemistry, biology and physics) is missing from route 2? This government is once again attacking our young people. Mr Speaker, the budget this week said nothing about education, nothing about the future of young people and now we see this bill which is creating a two tier system in our education system, giving out the message to KS4 students that some of you are not worthy of studying the same subjects as your peers.

I would further ask why, Mr Speaker, Religious Education or PSHE will not be compulsory for primary school children? Does the government not think young children should be taught about the diverse and multicultural society we live in?

Mr Speaker, many schools, including those in my constituency, already follow what the government is suggesting (in terms of compulsory subjects) and in fact offer a broader range of successful subjects at GCSE. I welcome the inclusion of MFL at primary school level, but I state once again that many schools already offer this at KS1/2, so I question why the government has produced this bill? Was this bill simply produced to create division and intolerance in our education system.

Mr Speaker, day after day, bill after bill, we are starting to see how incompetent, divisive and out of touch this government is. This bill sends the wrong message to our young people and I urge the government to think again.
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Physically rigorous enough? Having kids walking for 30 minutes a day is good enough.
And that's why we're facing an obesity epidemic.
obi_adorno_kenobi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Smack)
And that's why we're facing an obesity epidemic.
Well no, not in the slightest.
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well no, not in the slightest.
If the bare minimum that anyone with two legs should be doing is now considered "enough", and many do not even get that, it's little wonder we're getting fatter and fatter.
obi_adorno_kenobi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Smack)
If the bare minimum that anyone with two legs should be doing is now considered "enough", and many do not even get that, it's little wonder we're getting fatter and fatter.
That's exercise in school. Kids run around all the time. Your diagnosis of society however is quite the fanatical wierdism that comes from the fitness forums. Perhaps if your lot were less stern you'd win more to your cause. Now, are we done going in circles, don't you have weights to lift or something?
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Kids run around all the time.
Some do, many don't ... or else they wouldn't be fat.

Your diagnosis of society however is quite the fanatical wierdism that comes from the fitness forums. Perhaps if your lot were less stern you'd win more to your cause. Now, are we done going in circles, don't you have weights to lift or something?
Not sure about what's "fanatical" about the idea that people need to do some physical exercise, nor why you feel the need to use personal insults.
obi_adorno_kenobi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Smack)
Some do, many don't ... or else they wouldn't be fat.
No doubt a good proportion get put off by the bullies that become PE teachers.

not sure about what's "fanatical" about the idea that people need to do some physical exercise, nor why you feel the need to use personal insults.
Oh the idea is fine, not the extreme levels you would have every one doing in your little war on non-stickpeople. People find what they enjoy doing, let them.
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cry me a ****ing river already.

Oh the idea is fine, not the extreme levels you would have every one doing in your little war on non-stickpeople. People find what they enjoy doing, let them.
Again, it's easy to see why we're getting so fat if anything more than a 30 minute walk, which isn't really exercise, is considered "extreme".
Mazzini
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So a child could go through his or her entire education without ever having learned about music?

Why make Computing compulsory? I'm all for having it as an option, but for us artsy kids it's going to be of little use.

The same goes for Additional Maths.

No.

That reminds me of an Oatmeal comic

http://theoatmeal.com/pl/senior_year/pe
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mazzini)
So a child could go through his or her entire education without ever having learned about music?

Why make Computing compulsory? I'm all for having it as an option, but for us artsy kids it's going to be of little use.

The same goes for Additional Maths.

No.

That reminds me of an Oatmeal comic

http://theoatmeal.com/pl/senior_year/pe
I can see the music argument and this will be discussed in cessation.

As for Computing, this is pretty much as essential as Maths and English in my opinion.
Mazzini
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
I can see the music argument and this will be discussed in cessation.

As for Computing, this is pretty much as essential as Maths and English in my opinion.
Thanks

I've done fine without Computing. I still think it should be an option.
Metrobeans
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
This is in cessation.
Metrobeans
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
This has been withdrawn.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (34)
9.44%
I don't think they'd understand (55)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (139)
38.61%
There's nothing they could do (106)
29.44%

Watched Threads