Turn on thread page Beta

awful bands watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How exactly have Linkin Park had a huge huge influence on music?

(Original post by What's Chico Time Precious?)
    Just reading through this thread, some people really are so fickle and have opinions more easily influenced than an impressionable infantile sheep...jesus christ, do you ever say something that you actually thought of?! ...a little originality wouldn't go amiss...
    Are you trying to say that we all only hate bands that others hate BECAUSE others hate them?

As for Linkin Park... they're the band that introduced people to a completely different style of music. They are of course given that dreaded 'nu-metal' label but after listening to Linkin Park a lot of people our age explored metal as a whole and really got into it. And that can only be a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    How exactly have Linkin Park had a huge huge influence on music?
    Not in a good way, but they probably have.

I'd say early Rage Against the Machine is one of the primary influences for all that nu-metal gash. They had the rap/rock dynamic after all...

ReputationRep:
    Linkin Park...probably one of the most defining albums of the 00's in Hybrid Theory
    I agree that is was a defining album, but probably in a completely different way to you. To me it defines all that was bad about nu-metal.

Papa Roach... they were dire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n u c l e a r b u d d h a)
    As for Linkin Park... they're the band that introduced people to a completely different style of music. They are of course given that dreaded 'nu-metal' label but after listening to Linkin Park a lot of people our age explored metal as a whole and really got into it. And that can only be a good thing.
    Hmmm, possibly, that happening isn't what I'd consider as a band "influencing" though.

Hmmm, possibly, that happening isn't what I'd consider as a band "influencing" though.
    I didn't say that they'd influenced music, I was talking about how they'd influenced what people listened to. I think you're confusing me with someone else.

ReputationRep:
    Well surely a band is considered influential if the bands that follow them...are clearly influenced by them.

If there's an indentifiable lineage...and all that.

The quality of the music doesn't come into it...

ReputationRep:
    Are you trying to say that we all only hate bands that others hate BECAUSE others hate them?

heh, no sorry, that comment was aimed at someone else, i'm just too much of a coward to say it too them personally.

Hybrid Theory has what, sold about 20 million copies or something?! ..they are one of the biggest bands in the world, pretty much opened up the metal genre for people to explore, i didn't say anything about whether i liked them or not...you don't really have to to appreciate that fact. - that last bit wasn't for you either...just to make that clear....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgangills)
    Well surely a band is considered influential if the bands that follow them...are clearly influenced by them.

If there's an indentifiable lineage...and all that.

The quality of the music doesn't come into it...
    But who have Linkin Park actually influenced? To be fair, it's quite possibly I just haven't heard of whoever they've influenced, because I listen to good music.

Name names... it's always fun. :p:

I actually DO like Linkin Park. But yes, they did open up a whole new genre for some people.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say that they'd influenced music, I was talking about how they'd influenced what people listened to. I think you're confusing me with someone else.
    So I am. Sorry about that, old bean.

'Tis quite alright; it always happens when there are loads of people talking at once and I always get the blame for every comment. :p:

ReputationRep:
    But who have Linkin Park actually influenced? To be fair, it's quite possibly I just haven't heard of whoever they've influenced, because I listen to good music.
    Seemingly all of the dire bands from my school...

...I don't know, but a band as popular as that will have influenced lots of newer bands.

ReputationRep:
    Name names... it's always fun. :p:

I actually DO like Linkin Park. But yes, they did open up a whole new genre for some people.
    hehe, no...that wouldn't be very nice.

Yeh i do too, the whole nu-metal scene completely bypassed me apart from them...

****ing hell, just recieved possibly the best text message in my entire life whilst typing this...why am i typing this here?!

ReputationRep:
    Ohh details?

I was really into that whole nu-metal thing. I'd watch the Kerrang! channel religiously. I remember getting excited about seeing a new Adema video.

ReputationRep:
    ****ing hell, just recieved possibly the best text message in my entire life whilst typing this...why am i typing this here?!
    New Kids on the Block have got back together? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    hehe, no...that wouldn't be very nice.

Yeh i do too, the whole nu-metal scene completely bypassed me apart from them...

Because you want us to ask you, and you will say, its a really fit girl texting you, offering sex, and we will be very jealous and envy you :p:

ReputationRep:
    hehe! no no, although of course it involves a girl...that is all i am going to divulge on account of my irrational fear of being recognised on here, which will never ever happen considering i never say anything about myself.

Ahhh, random people on the intarwebz. Wow... you don't even have your location up. :p:

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.