Imperial 79
LSE 80
UCL 74
Warwick 60
York 49
Bristol 75
Durham 62
Bath 77

Not meaning to be rude about York at all, I'm planning to go there anyway, and the job I'll get isn't a major factor of the University I'll choose. These statistics do seem to show that York Isn;t as good career-wise as the rest of the Times top 10, but then again, I have no idea what the real significance of the numbers is, or how they are reached.
To say that employment prospects from UCL, Bristol and Bath are better than Oxford is rediculous. I do not know why York is so low here, either way, it is clearly not accurate.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by englishstudent)
I have actually had about 10 letters from major companies (totally out of the blue) telling me not even to bother applying to work for them because I go to York. I never realised the problem was so serious. I think businesses actually contact York and ask for the addresses of their students so that they can write and tell them they'll never get a job. So yeah, in a word the prospects are VERY bleak.
What; you mean, they still have people there? I'd always assumed that the University 'precinct' was just a derelict de facto dumping-ground for the 'gainfully' unemployed.

Oh, wait.
EskimoHunter
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
What; you mean, they still have people there? I'd always assumed that the University 'precinct' was just a derelict de facto dumping-ground for the 'gainfully' unemployed.

Oh, wait.
Profesh, I would appreciate it greatly if you were to avoid me at all costs. I do not care for your odour.
dsch
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You are the one engaging in conversation with him. Perhaps you should make some effort to avoid him at your cost. You have made this discussion overly personal, it has nothing to do with you, kindly **** off please.
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by EskimoHunter)
Profesh, I would appreciate it greatly if you were to avoid me at all costs. I do not care for your odour.
Very well, then; on a similarly ad hominem premise: for someone that purports to hail from one of the United Kingdom's pre-eminent academic institutions (let alone the spiritual haven of British satire) I find your lack of percipience frankly risible. Perhaps, Oxford is over-rated after all.
EskimoHunter
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by coughsyrup)
You are the one engaging in conversation with him. Perhaps you should make some effort to avoid him at your cost. You have made this discussion overly personal, it has nothing to do with you, kindly **** off please.
May I ask how this matter has more to do with you than I?
EskimoHunter
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
Very well, then; on a similarly ad hominem premise: for someone that purports to hail from one of the United Kingdom's pre-eminent academic institutions (let alone the spiritual haven of British satire) I find your lack of percipience frankly risible. Perhaps, Oxford is over-rated after all.
I am not going to waste my time insulting someone I do not know. Childish remarks suffice.
dsch
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I am going to York next year: had you read back further (and, perhaps, in doing so, gained a feel for what the discussion was about) you would have read that I am to study electronic engineering here. I really do love the way being at Oxford gave you the opinion that you could post on here and conclude the matter once and for all - without, apparently, even reading all the way through.
EskimoHunter
Report 12 years ago
I am going to York next year: had you read back further (and, perhaps, in doing so, gained a feel for what the discussion was about) you would have read that I am to study electronic engineering here. I really do love the way being at Oxford gave you the opinion that you could post on here and conclude the matter once and for all - without, apparently, even reading all the way through.
A common result in the superior.
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I am not going to waste my time insulting someone I do not know. Childish remarks suffice.
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kb500)
Without wishing to sound harsh the reason this happens with the big 4 is because many of the top graduates from other universities go into IB. Consequently the people at York will be actively targetted becase they are some of the best employees left in te country.
You're not making any sense - All the Big 4 firms 'actively target' not only York but Oxbridge, Durham, Warwick etc. The fact that York is targeted alongside such universities (which you obviously consider to be superior) shows that York graduates are in fact as highly sought after as those from any other top UK university, at least with respect to Professional Services firms.
Have some pride in your university!
RangerDave
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I didn't say York's a bad place; quite the opposite. I do know about the snobbery in investment banks, my brother works for Goldman Sachs and told me unless a person is Oxbridge or from a good London college that there's little chance, mainly down to the snobbery.
Sad but true.
Johnny
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You are just trying to invoke a reaction or upset people. Your life must be pretty pathetic to attempt such things.
That's a bit rich considering your signature. Great pretension by the way. Love it.

Edit: I notice my neg rep has pushed you into the red... tant pis.
LondonSteve181
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm doing English at York (I think) this September and if I were an employer I guess I would target a Yorkie over an Oxbridge graduate. Why? It appears to me that at Oxbridge that although there is great intellectual rigour there is no innovation. Topics seem to be learned by rote with the student under the thumb of the tutor whereas at York/Warwick there is greater flexibility for personal growth and development. ALso York has a compulsory language module, the learning of a language has to be of some significance.
Dionis_antic
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I found this nice topic.
Anyone would like to talk about this, what is the situation after two years?
Nabster_88
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Regarding york and investment banks probably a bit better but still not 'up there' i guess.
Balth
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, Lehman Brothers have signed up for the Finance Fair.

But considering what's happened in the last couple of days, I wouldn't count on them being there...
Dionis_antic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, we can take out Lehman Brothers from Finance Fair. They already filled Chapter 11.

From statistical information just a small part got to BB banks.
But still some of them manage to do it, e.g. I saw some people in Morgan Stanley website from York.

Also noticed that quite a lot people end up at Big 4.
Interrobang
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A lot of people (my friends at any rate) go into further education, so it really depends... No idea on IB and things like that tho
Dionis_antic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by xKTx)
A lot of people (my friends at any rate) go into further education, so it really depends... No idea on IB and things like that tho
further education at uni's like oxbridge, lse?
i think it's really likely to to be accepted with 2.1 or first at top tier unies.
i'm right?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.65%
No (667)
60.69%
Not really bothered about them (227)
20.66%

Watched Threads