Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serious narb)
    Are We the Waiting
    Boulevard Of Broken Dreams (sounds like a **** avril lavigne song)
    Extraordinary Girl

and with the exception of 2 or 3 songs the rest is painfuly average, the song American Idiot is just embarassing. 'Yeah we hate george bush, dunno why but it's cool to say it'
    Are we the waiting is part of St. Jimmy basically, they play the song as 1 live.

Boulevard is a good song, even if it does sound like an Avril Lavigne song. Avril rocks.

Extraordinary girl is possibly the worst song, but its not bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.narb.x)
    Are we the waiting is part of St. Jimmy basically, they play the song as 1 live.

Boulevard is a good song, even if it does sound like an Avril Lavigne song. Avril rocks.

don't give a **** what it's part of, it's *******s

it's like a bad Avril song though, and Avril would pull it off better than that **** of a Freddy Mercury wannabe

it's just really ****

most of it is average though, not ****, just very boring.

ReputationRep:

I agree with you on the boulevard of broken dreams song being good, and kind of agree with the extraordinary girl comment, i still like it, but sometimes i will skip that song forward, not sure why.

St Jimmy is a great song, i would say its the best, but i think JoS is the best song on the AI album...

ReputationRep:
    Well I disagree with you mate, and so do millions of people who bought the album over past two years.

Also, struggled to make sense of your post due to the excessive use of profanities, was there any need, really?

ReputationRep:
    Well I disagree with you mate, and so do millions of people who bought the album over past two years.

Also, struggled to make sense of your post due to the excessive use of profanities, was there any need, really?
    when describing such a monstrosity of a band yes, yes there bloody well is a need.

When a band who are supposedly 'reinventing' punk appears on the front cover of TOTP magazine and Smash Hits you know something is up. Maybe if that Hillbilly of a lead singer stopped trying to be freddy mercury i'd respect them that little bit more.

so do millions of people who bought the album over past two years.
    But you have to take into account the fact that a lot of those people are aged 11/12 and had never heard of Green Day until American Idiot, and assumed that they were just another New Found Glory type band. Some of them haven't bothered looking into their earlier stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares about their image mate, I listen to the music. The music is good, you get far too wrapped up in all that other rubbish which is frankly, completely irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares about their image mate, I listen to the music. The music is good, you get far too wrapped up in all that other rubbish which is frankly, completely irrelevant.
    The Image isn't completely irrelevant though, as it is the image which has really gone such a long way to selling millions of albums(to mostly pre-teens) which is what you seem to feel is the deciding factor in judging a band.

If I forget the image and all the hype surrounding it all I hear is another very bland pop punk album, it is the millions of people who have purchased the album that have been caught up with the image and the hype

ReputationRep:
    I heard it before all the hype mate, and it was at the time one of the best albums I'd ever heard. Brilliant.

I think we should agree to disagree here, even though you're wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I heard it before all the hype mate, and it was at the time one of the best albums I'd ever heard. Brilliant.

I think we should agree to disagree here, even though you're wrong.
    looks like you're not gunna backdown on this 1 despite all the facts staring at you in the face. I'll let you delude yourself into thinking the album is great and as you say we'll agree to disagree

He also chooses to ignore my posts... perhaps he can't argue back?

ReputationRep:
    Moving swiftly on...!

Five albums that I love and think everybody should own (in no particular order):

To Record Only Water for 10 Days- John Frusciante
    Turn on the Bright Lights- Interpol
    Songs for the Deaf- Queens of the Stone Age
    Bleed American- Jimmy Eat World
    Led Zeppelin IV- Led Zeppelin

I tried to stick to one album per band and I have to say it was hard. Especially when it came to John Frusciante (tempted to list Curtains or Shadows Collide with People, but he has 10 fantastic albums), QOTSA (their first self titled album was itching to go in) and Led Zeppelin (III was my first LZ album and is absolutely fantastic).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Draig)
    Moving swiftly on...!

Five albums that I love and think everybody should own (in no particular order):

To Record Only Water for 10 Days- John Frusciante
    Turn on the Bright Lights- Interpol
    Songs for the Deaf- Queens of the Stone Age
    Bleed American- Jimmy Eat World
    Led Zeppelin IV- Led Zeppelin

I tried to stick to one album per band and I have to say it was hard. Especially when it came to John Frusciante (tempted to list Curtains or Shadows Collide with People, but he has 10 fantastic albums), QOTSA (their first self titled album was itching to go in) and Led Zeppelin (III was my first LZ album and is absolutely fantastic).
    good call on Bleed American, although i'd say Futures would run it very close as their best album

I was quite disappointed with Bleed American; I thought the singles were the best songs on the album and so I should've just bought a couple of them and saved £6 or so. I appreciate the album a little more now, though.

ReputationRep:
    alanis morrisette- jagged little pill
    oasis- what's the story (morning glory)
    sheryl crow- sheryl crow
    incubus-make yourself
    air-moon safari

man that was tough....an album for every mood though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mademoiselle84)
    alanis morrisette- jagged little pill
    oasis- what's the story (morning glory)
    sheryl crow- sheryl crow
    incubus-make yourself
    air-moon safari

man that was tough....an album for every mood though!
    Excellent choices there :yy: The bold ones in particular

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macintosh)
    i don't know so much about 'everybody should own' but these five albums are essential to me and i hold them very close to my heart:

beck; midnite vultures
    foo fighters; the colour and the shape
    the smiths; hatful of hollow
    jeff buckley; grace
    oasis; what's the story (morning glory)
    u2; the joshua tree

sorry, there's 6
    Such a great album. Better than any Nirvana album in my opinion.

So I'd put it on my list:
    Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape
    Jeff Buckley - Grace
    Counting Crows - August And Everything After
    Joseph Arthur - Come To Where I'm From
    Pearl Jam - No Code

ReputationRep:
    Tbf Foo Fighters > Nirvana in general, even though FF have gone downhill a lot...The Colour and the Shape and There Is Nothing Left to Lose are both very good albums.

Nirvana are one of the most over-rated/over-hyped bands IMO, made a lot more popular by the fact Kurt Coabin killed himself...

ReputationRep:
    I thiiink..

Pixies - Doolittle
    Primal Scream - Screamadelica
    A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
    Fela Kuti - Original Suffer Head
    Radiohead - OK Computer

ReputationRep:
    A hard question but I'd give these albums a try:

The Cure - Disintegration (Gloomy)
    Coldplay - Parachutes (Hopeful)
    Mew - Frengers (Dreamlike)
    The Smashing Pumpkins - Adore (Autumnal)
    Travis - The Invisible Band (Inevitable)

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.