Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Climate Change watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: When would you have intervened?
    I wouldn't intervene.
    30.38%
    Now.
    24.05%
    Before India and China industrialised.
    18.99%
    Before the Middle-East started pumping oil.
    3.80%
    Before the USA emerged as a superpower.
    8.86%
    Before the Industrial Revolution.
    10.13%
    Before man discovered fire.
    3.80%

ReputationRep:
    And now he's got a nobel prize..........

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KxqhwZGefc4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Square)
    And now he's got a nobel prize..........

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KxqhwZGefc4
    Unfortunately I think this will do more harm than good. Thou Gore has managed to increase awareness about climate change he has also left people with a very erroneous impression about why we expect the earth to warm from CO2 emissions. By giving him this price the Nobel price committee has more or less provided the sceptics with a high profile target.

In particular, Gore's movie failed to highlight some of the key pieces of evidence that the warming is man made and very much caused by CO2. To mention a few examples:

-The analysis of the C-12 to C-14 ratio, which more or less confirms that the increased CO2 concentration is fossil in origin.
    -The evidence of Ocean Acidification resulting from an increased uptake of CO2 into the oceans.
    -The direct measurements of incoming solar radiation and infrared radiation leaving the earth, which confirms that the major change to radiative forcing is due to a decrease in outgoing radiation and not increased incoming sunlight.
    -The lack of sudden peaks in the CO2 concentration, which rules out volcanic eruptions as the main source of CO2.
    -The correlation between the rate of CO2 increase with the rate of fossil fuel consumption and deforestation.
    -That the wavelength of the light which is being increasingly absorbed matches that of CO2's absorption spectrum.

In short, I think Gore has unfortunately provided sceptics with a soft target. His film contains some serious errors, so because it becomes easy to criticize his film, people who have little knowledge about the evidence for what is happening could be mislead into believing that the criticism of gore's film applies to the science in general. You already see quite a bit of it on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    -That the wavelength of the light which is being increasingly absorbed matches that of CO2's absorption spectrum.
    I didn't know that one :eek: That's so cool Well.. sort of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    I didn't know that one :eek: That's so cool Well.. sort of
    Sure is. One of our professors went through some of the analysis they do on this. One of the cooler bits was to send a powerful laser up into the atmosphere, exciting atoms in it's path. When these atoms decay back to their ground state they emit light. By detecting this light, and the the time it takes to come back, etc ... you can determine where the atoms are located. I.e, you can actually have a laser sweep over an entire industrial site and directly measure where the pollutants go. This is superior to measuring the output at the smokestack because it detects ALL emissions, including those from leaks in piping, boilers etc... It can also tell you where where the different kinds of pollutants go after they are emitted, and even which pollutants go of in which direction. You can sweep it over a forest to tell how much CO2 it absorbs, how much methane is emitted from a hydroelectric dam... some really cool stuff in other words.

Then you have the guys that take this kind of tech to a whole new level...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S...dium_laser.jpg

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.