Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Clever people in the navy/armed forces...... is it really worth it?? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rotters)
    Cadet bashing, there's one I haven't had in a while. Suppose its something to with me being at cadets all my life? So my 5 years at cadets has taught me nothing?
    I may be wrong here (and I'm open to correction by people who have been through the system), but I would imagine that turning up to IOT with a 'i've been a cadet, i know how the system works', attitude would be rather dangerous! :p: (spoken in good humour!!!)

ReputationRep:
    Cadet bashing, there's one I haven't had in a while. Suppose its something to with me being at cadets all my life? So my 5 years at cadets has taught me nothing?

Im not struggling to understand you at all. Just can't see why you appear to know better than those at OASC? It is after all there job to select people is not?

I don't suppose your used to people not agreeing with or thinking you have the best job in the world?
    I have visions of you going down really well at IOT:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KiwiMagic)
    I may be wrong here (and I'm open to correction by people who have been through the system), but I would imagine that turning up to IOT with a 'i've been a cadet, i know how the system works', attitude would be rather dangerous! :p: (spoken in good humour!!!)
    Of course it would! We know bugger all about the 'real' RAF. Would never try to pretend that I do. But means we have had an exposure to certain things that other wont i.e. Drill, uniforms, field ex's and certain amounts of direct leadership. Not trying to say that we know it all, far from it but hopefully my 5 years won't go to waste.

Its apparent that some ex cadets do take that attitude when they go to IOT or RTS, it's one I intend to avoid! Plus im not an ex cadet yet

ReputationRep:
    Air cadets I found doesn't give a good impression of the RAF, we did more green stuff than the RAF do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DPM)
    Air cadets I found doesn't give a good impression of the RAF, we did more green stuff than the RAF do.
    Green stuff? I'm guessing that means out in the woods with camo gear on sorts of excercises?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CKinnerley)
    Green stuff? I'm guessing that means out in the woods with camo gear on sorts of excercises?
    Aye
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by KiwiMagic)
    You'll find there are a lot of ex-rankers who know plenty about all the shining, polishing, ironing and discipline to make ex-air cadets thankfully redundant.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Im not struggling to understand you at all. Just can't see why you appear to know better than those at OASC? It is after all there job to select people is not?
    Yes, and only that. They select plenty of people who are wrong for the job, and plenty of people who fail.

If OASC did their job utterly perfectly, then chop rates through flying training would be zero.

As I said, the opinions of some blunt promotion-chasing board member on your performance in an interview don't match what a QFI will think of you when you get to flying training. OASC's not the tricky part, believe me.

I don't suppose your used to people not agreeing with or not thinking you have the best job in the world?
    That's a fairly offensive, unnecessary, and unpleasant post. Take a defensive attitude like that through training and you won't have to worry about your streaming.......
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    The facts of flying training, in my experience (and unlike you two, I have some!) are as follows (and Wzz might like to correct/confirm/update):
    Don't need to; you're spot on.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    There are less DE's at BFJT, you've said that, so for them to get there they must have worked their asses correct? Not saying that grads haven't but statistically its harder for a DE to get there so does that not prove that they have the staying power?
    No, it shows the opposite; because MOST of them DON'T end up at BFJT!

Thats a very narrow minded attitude. We're all different, just because I don't want to do what you do doesn't mean that I will be a bad pilot.
    It means you'll have to aim not to excel at EFT. It's not narrow-minded at all; read 3PD's reply to you! We're all meant to be cut from the same cloth in the flying world, so if you don't have a mind along the same lines as most of your peers then it is a bad thing.

Im more attracted to the roles and tasking of the rotary world than that off the fast jet world. Why is that so bad? I want to achieve the best, I want to fulfill my goals. But in my opinion FJ is the not the be all and end all, im not saying that rotary is but personally I think I would be more happy and more staisfied in a rotary arena.
    How many months of working with rotary and FJ squadrons do you have to quantify that? You, very probably, know very little about what they do. Therefore wanting to be anything other than the best is silly.

Great; we have pilots joining who don't think single seat FJ flying's the be all and end all... maybe I should ask my students next week, maybe they actually all want to be Dominie pilots....

No attitude Wzz, not looking for a fight or anything. Just think its great to have a healthy debate and challenge the opinions of a 'typical pilot'. Its what fourms are here for. Im not saying your totally wrong or totally right, I respect your opinion but I have my own opinion and I think its great that we can have this banter. Im not trying to change your point of view but perhaps open your eyes to different attitudes towards RAF flying after all the RAF don't want people cut to a pattern now do they!
    Actually, there're quite fond of that. And do remember my point of view's backed up by a). being a pilot and b). training student pilots! Your point of view is backed up by being an air cadet.

I'd be a dangerous person to pick "fights" with anyway, if you're going to be a student pilot. The QFIing world's small and your name's on your profile :P

ReputationRep:
    So come on Wzz, you know who we are, give us an indicator of when we are likely to come across you??

I assume it won't be at Brize Norton

ReputationRep:
    Im guessing a QFI (Duh!) at Linton, BFJT. Possibly a creamie to?

ReputationRep:
    Rotters,

I hope you're not on my section; do you think I'm ****ing stupid:confused:

A Linton creamie wouldn't (from those that I've seen/met) have the experience and wouldn't have the arse to dish out such advice!! I reckon he's a combat ready single seat jockey - there can't be many left in Jags so I'd go for 20(R) based on the resentment for anything other than single seat. Although, they tend to be older, so I'm sure that I'm wrong!!

ReputationRep:
    I hope you're not on my section; do you think I'm ****ing stupid
    Eh? The duh wasn't directed at you if thats what you were thinking. Wasn't directed at anyone.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Raptor)
    So come on Wzz, you know who we are, give us an indicator of when we are likely to come across you??
    No thanks, I quite like being anonymous! No-one's guessed right yet, and I'd prefer it if you didn't try.

ReputationRep:
    Eh? The duh wasn't directed at you if thats what you were thinking. Wasn't directed at anyone.
    Apologies, alcohol induced posts are never the best things are they

ReputationRep:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rotters

Apologies, alcohol induced posts are never the best things are they
    No Raptor there not lol.

Also it appears that I've been a total and utter arse in this thread so for one I'd just like to say sorry. I will take heed of the advice given and shut my mouth from now.

Apologises all.

ReputationRep:
    Knob-jockeys. No apologies. Sign of weakness.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Some might say it was a sign of common sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    No thanks, I quite like being anonymous! No-one's guessed right yet, and I'd prefer it if you didn't try.
    I think i might know who Wzz is....I'm just not sure if i'm right...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.