Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Metal fans? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n u c l e a r b u d d h a)
    Surely if you knew for CERTAIN that they were nu-metal, nobody would disagree because it'd be a fact? :p:
    Hah, you got me there. I guess I just get sick of people who claim to dislike nu metal but like certain nu metal bands and see them as an exception. It's because of the negative stigma the term 'nu metal' holds. But, really, I can't see Deftones being described as anything other than nu metal.

That description could fit a song by almost any 'credible' metal band... so it's all nu-metal?
    LOL! Uhhh, no. Metal bands generally don't whine; metal drumming is usually quite technical; metal guitar playing usually isn't limited to 3, 4 or 5 chords per album, and often includes solos...

(Original post by Atomik)
    Hah, you got me there. I guess I just get sick of people who claim to dislike nu metal but like certain nu metal bands and see them as an exception. It's because of the negative stigma the term 'nu metal' holds. But, really, I can't see Deftones being described as anything other than nu metal.
    I don't claim to dislike nu-metal, though, and I still see Deftones as something more.

ReputationRep:
    My comment was mainly directed at Agent Z.

What would you class Deftones as? Can you not say they're just a different type of nu metal? It's a broad genre, covering weaker bands such as Linkin Park to heavier bands such as Slipknot. I think there's room for Deftones in there.

Since I've given points as to why I think Deftones are nu metal, maybe you should tell me why you think they AREN'T nu metal? What makes them different to general nu metal bands? As far as I'm concerned, they are a heavier Linkin Park. Fundamentally, the way they play their music is in the same vain as Linkin Park, Korn, et al.

Meh, this just gets a bit ridiculous. I've had exactly the same argument with people who say that Korn aren't nu metal, that Linkin Park aren't nu metal, that Sevendust aren't nu metal, that Mudvayne aren't nu metal...

I don't class Deftones as anything; I don't really class anyone as anything. But nu-metal to me is heavy on the turntables and stuff, and although Deftones have elements of that in there, it's not nearly as evident as it is in music by bands like Limp Bizkit.

If it's more about combining hip hop with metal, Rage Against The Machine would fit that description and I certainly wouldn't call their music nu-metal.

ReputationRep:
    Not all nu metal bands use turntables. In fact, hardly any nu metal bands use turntables. For example, Kittie, Korn, Disturbed, Static X, Spineshank...

And, I agree, I wouldn't call Rage Against the Machine nu metal. I'd call them rap-rock.

But, yeah, I still believe that Disturbed fit under the nu metal category. Musically, they are similar to all of the bands I listed in the first paragraph. They belong in the same musical scope.

Static X and the like rely heavily on keyboards, though.

ReputationRep:
    Not all of them. Anyway, take the keyboards away from Static X and they would still be nu metal. That's unquestionable.

Sorry, but until I see some decent reasons as to why Deftones aren't nu metal, I will always consider them to be just that. Same goes with anybody who wants to try and tell me that a blatant nu metal band isn't actually nu metal.

Anyhow, I'm off out; gonna get stoned, yessss. I'll check this thread tonight/tomorrow. Over 'n' out.

ReputationRep:
    A bands a band people, what does it matter if its nu-metal or alt. metal? The music's still good and putting it in any type genre isn't going to change that.
    If you think it's nu-metal then fine, if you think it's alt. metal then that's also fine, opinions vary, to each their own right?

If we had no debates here, we'd all sit around agreeing with each other. :p: I like hearing why people think one band's part of a particular genre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pianist)
    hehehe, well I'm not that fond of Tarja either, just Tuomos Holopainen's lyrics and overall keyboardness! :cool:
    Good job they fired her then?

Nightwish are my favourite band and Tuomas owns my soul, so i think that qualifies me for this thread...

I like all that genre... Nightwish, Epica, Tristania, Lacuna Coil... (seeing a trend?)

I've seen Nightwish (one of the last performances with Tarja, I am proud!) and also Within Temptation, who rocked my socks quite a lot.

(Original post by Zoecb)
    I like all that genre... Nightwish, Epica, Tristania, Lacuna Coil... (seeing a trend?)

I've seen Nightwish (one of the last performances with Tarja, I am proud!) and also Within Temptation, who rocked my socks quite a lot.
    Without Face as well? :p:

I loved Tarja's voice and it's a shame she went all Mariah Carey on the rest of Nightwish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)

I've seen Nightwish (one of the last performances with Tarja, I am proud!)

See, I don't think all those bands should be put in the same genre just 'cos they've got women in them :P I've seen Nightwish too and I thought they were really awful >_< But that was pretty much all because of Tarja, so I'll keep my mind open on what they're like now.

ReputationRep:
    My comment was mainly directed at Agent Z.

What would you class Deftones as? Can you not say they're just a different type of nu metal? It's a broad genre, covering weaker bands such as Linkin Park to heavier bands such as Slipknot. I think there's room for Deftones in there.

Since I've given points as to why I think Deftones are nu metal, maybe you should tell me why you think they AREN'T nu metal? What makes them different to general nu metal bands? As far as I'm concerned, they are a heavier Linkin Park. Fundamentally, the way they play their music is in the same vain as Linkin Park, Korn, et al.

Meh, this just gets a bit ridiculous. I've had exactly the same argument with people who say that Korn aren't nu metal, that Linkin Park aren't nu metal, that Sevendust aren't nu metal, that Mudvayne aren't nu metal...
    I would class Deftones as alternative metal. I really don't think they can be compared to bands like Linkin Park, Korn, Slipknot or Limp Bizkit - the music is of a much higher quality on several levels. Lyrically, Chino Moreno manages to touch upon much more serious themes than those presented by the band's 'nu metal' counterparts. I'm not sure how to describe their musical sound, because it has evolved with each studio release. There was raw energy with their debut Adrenaline, an energy which carried on to Around The Fur but was more subdued, then there was the introspective thoughtfulness of White Pony, and finally, the controlled aggression of their self-titled album. They have progressed and matured both musically and lyrically with each album - which is something not seen with bands like Korn, Limp Bizkit and Disturbed. On a structural level, some of their work could be classed as 'nu metal', as certain songs do feature the characteristics of the 'nu metal' sound which you have described. However, when you actually listen to their music without trying to analyse every chord etc., I doubt you would class them as 'nu metal' - especially when you admit that you've mainly only heard their singles anyway. I can recommend some album tracks that actually do them justice if you're interested. In case you're worried that it might discredit your black metal fixation, I happen to know of many black metal fans who cite Deftones as their favourite band.

Also, you might want to read up on them from their Wikipedia page, it has some interesting comments, e.g.:

Deftones have often been praised as one of the more innovative and unique rock bands of recent years. Johnny Loftus writes, "Rock critics usually reserve a special place for Deftones above or at least away from the rest of the turn-of-the-century nu-metal movement. While they definitely share the influence of a group like Tool with peers like Korn, Deftones have always seemed more curious, more willing to incorporate traditionally revered sounds like dream pop or D.C. hardcore into their southern California alt-metal."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deftones

ReputationRep:
    What the **** are you on about? Is every band I listed racist? No.

Oh, and the word 'kvlt' is gay.
    the fact that you indicate a preference for nsbm over black metal strongly suggests that you have extreme political views, as there are no musical grounds on which to express favouritism for the genre. my suggestion that you don't listen to anything unless it's racist, and the "kvlt" was me trolling you.

on the issue of deftones being nu-metal i would definately class them as nu metal (i mean we're pretending bands can be pigeonholed into a single genre anyway). i don't see the term as derogatory, or pointless, as it pretty clearly defines a style of music that many bands (at times including deftones) can be considered a part of. the main argument against classifying deftones as nu metal seems to be "nu metal = crap. deftones = good .'. deftones cannot = nu metal". what's the point in the genre if we're going to unwaveringly associate it with crap?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 000111)
    the fact that you indicate a preference for nsbm over black metal strongly suggests that you have extreme political views, as there are no musical grounds on which to express favouritism for the genre. my suggestion that you don't listen to anything unless it's racist, and the "kvlt" was me trolling you.
    I don't particularly indicate a preference for NSBM over general black metal; a lot of my favourite black metal bands come from the more depressive side of things, such as Beatrik, Forgotten Tomb, Silencer, etc. But in regards to NSBM I generally prefer it over the more clichéd Satanic style, for I find the Satanic style somewhat puerile. NSBM bands tend to create better atmospheres than Satanic black metal bands.

Black metal music is my favourite genre of music. I liked it before I found NSBM and now I like NSBM too. I like NSBM's music because a lot of the lyrics invoke pride, and the music is usually very atmospheric. I like the fact that, unlike RAC bands, NSBM generally isn't as childish and upfront lyrically; most of the tend to be very pride-related, as opposed to lyrics about beating up non-whites.

on the issue of deftones being nu-metal i would definately class them as nu metal (i mean we're pretending bands can be pigeonholed into a single genre anyway). i don't see the term as derogatory, or pointless, as it pretty clearly defines a style of music that many bands (at times including deftones) can be considered a part of. the main argument against classifying deftones as nu metal seems to be "nu metal = crap. deftones = good .'. deftones cannot = nu metal". what's the point in the genre if we're going to unwaveringly associate it with crap?
    Thank **** someone agrees with me, haha. Mind you, I don't like nu metal whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulofanewmachine)
    See, I don't think all those bands should be put in the same genre just 'cos they've got women in them :P
    That's not what makes them the same genre... OK so Lacuna Coil might not fit, but the others are Symphonic metal ie. your basic metal instrument grouping PLUS full romantic orchestra.

I love classical music and rock, and symphonic metal combines the two.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, i'm into it heavily. Really liking the prog genre now, with bands like Dream Theater and Evergrey and Children of Bodom. Although there are some power elements in those bands!

ReputationRep:
    Dream Theater are awesome. Just had to say that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Z)
    Dream Theater are awesome. Just had to say that.
    Yeah they are! I love the technicality of the instrumentals and riffs and also the conceptuality of the band!

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to add to the Dream Theater love.

The lyrics can be cringeworthy on occasion, but this is almost always offset by the quality of the instrumentation. John Petrucci is one of my favourite guitarists- manages to balance technique and tastefulness.

Hopefully we will get a new album sometime next year.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.