Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Resident Evil 4 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been a Resident Evil fan since I was...what? 9-10? While RE4 is a great game and all, I feel it deviates too far from the previous games. Okay, the control system, camera angles, etc were getting a bit old and well, frustrating, but RE4 pretty much chucks all previous games out of the window, except regarding a few characters and a brief mention of Umbrella.

The gameplay is fun, yes, but maybe on the second/third playthrough, it begins to bore me silly. Not to mention the half-baked storyline. The mini-game is quite fun, but the unlockables just destroy the game further. Chicago Typewriter and Handcannon? Where's the challenge?! Although admittedly blowing things up with the rocket launcher is a bit of a laugh.

Yes, it's an excellent game, but doesn't really do previous games in the series justice; you could slap a different title on RE4 and change a few names, and who would know the difference?

ReputationRep:
    i think the PC version got lesser reviews than the PS2/GC versions, but it was still considered a great game on the PC platform. I personally thought it was a great game, though i dont get what got it a reputation for being absolutely outstanding. I never actually completed it, i have a bizarre habit of getting 95% of the way through games and never actually completing them.

the best gun i had on it was that old fashioend one, was it called Red 7 or smething? It was like a Luger. Great pistol, loved it.

the one thing that got me on edge a bit were the chainsaw zombies. there was this bit where i could never anticipate them coming and of course one they get close they cut your head off. It was all or nothing - given i had a pistol - it was a headshot or you got nailed. They were the only tense moments really. Resident Evil 3 is still probably the best resi game ive played, always remember crapping myself coming dwon from the top floor of the police office and hearing Nemises walking round downstairs saying 'S.T.A.R.S' in that voice, lol.

Dont get me wrong though, Resi 4 is a great game. Its more an action game like Resi 3, but the only Horror Based resi game imo anyway was Resi 1, so the genre is more survival action than horror overall anyway. If, like the above poster, your a bit concerned about the canon of the series not being represented so well in 4 then it might peeve you a bit, but i never really noticed, i just take games for what they are gameplay wise.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, the Red 9 Mauser pistol. First playthrough I bought that, then was rather chuffed with myself when I found out that it was the best one statistically when completely upgraded; 6.5 damage? For a handgun? Haha! Although the Killer7 pistol is such a scam when compared with the Broken Butterfly revolver. BB gets a 40.0 firepower exclusive upgrade, and is just generally better :p:.

Not to mention that you can find a free one in the castle!

ReputationRep:
    ooo, interesting, i didnt know those stats. That said, a headshot generally nails most things moving anyway, so the gun's power becomes largely irrelevent past a certain level of headshot stopping power.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, I often just shoot them in the face or legs and give them a bit of a boot. Essentially once you get the upgrade, it turns into a very precise and rapid-fire shotgun. Handy when you want to clear the path. Although the Punisher handgun has an interesting upgrade; letting you penetrate up to 5 enemies, but how often is that going to happen? Useful for the ganados with the shields though.

The original Handgun looks cool, but is pretty weak. Upgrade allows you to get more "critical headshots", but later in the game, you don't really want to be in the habit of decapitating people because that's only tempting the plagas to pop out, I figure.

ReputationRep:
    i was never one for changing weapons, i usually just ended up taking the pain if there was a load of them. i dont think ive ever had an ammo problem in the game so you can afford to miss a few headshots that nail their chest instead. i suppose it would have made life a lot easier if i did use a shothun or something. The annoying thing was, i always had a shotgun and it took up a lot of space in my case but i always kept it 'just in case i use it' but i never do, illogical really.

ReputationRep:
    Eh, the Striker shotgun is a better investment overall. Exclusive allows to carry 100 rounds in the clip, so that negates carrying around lots of 15-shell increments unless you're drowning in shells. I think it takes up less space too. Although I just enjoy the "cool factor" of pumping the shotgun each time after I fire :p:, so either the normal shotgun or Riotbreaker is needed for that.

ReputationRep:
    When there are loads of enemies, the best thing is to shoot their legs so they fall over. Buys you loads of time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    When there are loads of enemies, the best thing is to shoot their legs so they fall over. Buys you loads of time!
    Agreed, I remember when I first went through the game, I went all Code Veronica on the villagers, although the knife on this wasn't quite like Excalibur anymore.

The Striker though, what a great weapon. When I got it upgraded I was running low on shotgun shells and then I got the final upgrade. It was completely full of ammo after the upgrade and I was one happy bunny.

ReputationRep:
    when i play RE4 nowadays i just go with the guns that FEEL best. i love the 5x greater chance of decap with the original handgun, it encourages skill and las plagas appearing is irrelevant wrt getting a decap shot anyway. i used the riot shotgun because it looks better than the striker, you dont shoot from the hip, and it has the classic old pumping action, which i think is a must. i also use the bolt action rifle, coz the other 1 is just cheap imo, i prefer the added pressure of needing to line up your shot exactly coz otherwise you are in do do, its more satisfying when you pop the head of 2 people lined up behind shields with 1 shot for example. also i use a handcannon with upgrades that put it on par with a maxed out BB. its just a bigger, louder, more badass version of that gun really, but dont wanna make the game too easy:-p

ReputationRep:
    You have fun with the bolt-action rifle. I get very annoyed with having to reload after each shot!

ReputationRep:
    I'm playing a speed-round with only the Chicago Typewriter at the moment, just did Salazar... heh, forgot how cheesey the gun is.

*run to the right*
    *Aim at the left arm*

BANG BANG BANG

*Aim at the eye*

BANG BANG BANG

*Aim at li'l Salazar*

RATATATATATATATATATATATATA.... *dead salazar*

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.