Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Design tech (unit 6) - research paper watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    are you's writting a specification and drawing generating ideas for a general product that will make shopping with children easier or are you's just going to state in the design specification that your designing a trolley/pushchair and go on and do just drawings for that selected product

ReputationRep:
    yo! thx alot Confuzzled! That is what exactly what i'm going to do for my development! you made my life easier....

ReputationRep:
    Lol, no worries mate, any reputation points for the help?

Now back to my question....

"hi there, i am doin this exam (AQA board) and i am struggling to find out what i need to know. I have this book that i used for PD1D (the A2 exam being PD6D) and i know that i need to learn pretty much everything in there. There are three sections, being 'Materials & Components', 'Processes & Manufacture' and 'Desing & Market Influences'.

I know that for PD1 i needed to know all of chapters 1 and 2, and PD6 i need to know all 3, but what is this about influences of designers. Stuff like Memphis design movement and Bauhaus design movement??

Also i know u need a product study to write up in the exam, whats all that bout?

I heard all this trolley stuff, but i think that my exam is different coz there aint any design in it i dnt think....

Any1 sitting the AQA exam will probably have the same, coz ive never been given anything about any trolleys.

Hope that you lot can help."

Any of you doin this paper?

Please help! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    nope! i think most of us here are doing edexcel! btw i added a reputation point to you *clap clap*

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting a bit worried here, been watch this thread for a while and evryone seems to be going down the trolley/buggy route. I haven't got a better idea of what they could ask for but what if they don't ask for a trolley/buggy? All that designing time wasted and designing isn't something I can do quickly so I'll be in trouble if something unexpected comes up.

ReputationRep:
    urm..no! the paper are not meant to be suprise you!! if its not trolley or buggy, maybe we can compain?! lol PROTEST!!!!

ReputationRep:
    shaun 26. They aren't trying to catch you out here, they are trying to see how well you can research, condense, apply and present information on a particular topic. The only 2 real options are a buggy and trolley and they are well aware of it because they wanted to narrow the type of application that people have put in for administration, marking and moderation purposes. Also, if your design has an application to the study that is good enough for them, so the only way they can make it NOT a buggy or trolley is to specifically say NO BUGGIES TO TROLLEYS OR WE WILL BURN YOUR PAPER AND THROW IT IN A DEEP DARK PIT.... whiiiiiiich they won't do...

Hope that has restored some confidence

ReputationRep:
    cheers note i'm just a worrying kinda guy lol!

ReputationRep:
    Woo! I have a design!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    how come i cant manage to see hwoo attachment then i can see shaun26's hmmm. anywho, im finding this design part really hard! and would appreciate some ideas.
    just revising the other d.t. exam atm, which is taking up all my time.

ReputationRep:
    whoa s***!!! its pretty cool!!! but 1 problem, its for children from 0-5, how is a 3-5 yrs old kid gonna fit into your trolley?

ReputationRep:
    when looking at buggies, there are different designs for different ages
    for example
    a buggy for a new born is horizontal for the baby to lie down and its higher up, closer to the person pushing the buggy, more of a pram really, with lots of padding etc
    a buggy for a 4-6yr old takes into account the fact that the kid can walk but only for short distances so needs to hop in and out when tired, this means the seat has to be closer to the ground and it more upright
    a solution is to include a note saying wot age group each idea is aimed at as designing a buggy for 0-6yrs is extremely complex and hard
    just a thought

ReputationRep:
    Thanks hwoo! You've hit one of my major issues with this research brief thing. 0 year olds are tiny and 5 year olds are huge! Think I might design a few ideas for o-2s and a few for 3-5s tho inspiration is a bit of an issue! Think the design that I uploaded could be adapted by replacing the cradel thing with a proper seat for bigger kids though less space for shopping.

ReputationRep:
    Also thinking that in-buggy entertainment could be a good plan??

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, a lot of people have said that they'll post designs and I only see two, hint hint, nudge..........

ReputationRep:
    exactly!!! com'on guys!! i even posted my specification up...(There's no free lunch)

ReputationRep:
    My name is Jonathan and today is the first i have looked at the paper talk about leaving things 2 the last minute. I have no information and no designs on what 2 do. I have read some of the information yous have put up and thanks very much but can anyone please help. I have 14 days till the exam and not one clue on what 2 do. Our teacher sort of just gave us the paper and left it at that. Now i really need help. Any help or information would def be very appreciated. Thanks Jonathan

ReputationRep:
    hwoo with your idea of the trolley with the buggie wheels having only three wheels on the bottom would cause the trolley to topple when large items are put near the back. just thought id point this out.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, probably i should use 4 wheels instead of 3. Anyway i'm quite dissapointed, unit 6 will be in like 2-3 weeks. Still i have only see shaun and i post a design? is everyone here just greedy or they just can't bother to work and want free lunches?!

ReputationRep:
    well ive got some designs but cant post them up yet beacuase i need a scanner but these will some soon most likely after tuesday next week

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.