Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

what would happen if people had a white or caucasian society at a university watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have never heard of the phrase 'white culture' before this thread. What the hell is it? There's British culture, French culture, Welsh culture, Italian culture etc but white culture??? That's the reason why a white society is generally not seen as appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    How wonderful that this thread has now descended into the the likes of twitterings of shielded, ignorant old men discussing the pitfalls of racism against whites whilst puffing from their pipes and adjusting their monacles.

Racism works both ways, how observant. Yes of course it does. But think of the particular situation at hand. Would you find it slightly quaint, if hypothetically, at an African University there was a black society? Why would a 'white' society need to be formed in a country where the majority of the population is white, and the entire history of the...blah blah you know where I'm going with this. Yet to re-iterate the other point, why set up a society purely on the grounds of race alone? The societies in question bring together people wishing to partake in the values of a different culture or celebrate aspects of that culture. 'White' isn't a culture.

Edit: Yeah, what she said^.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    How wonderful that this thread has now descended into the the likes of twitterings of shielded, ignorant old men discussing the pitfalls of racism against whites whilst puffing from their pipes and adjusting their monacles.
    If that was referring to me you honestly have no fecking idea.

I grew up in the West Indies, where being white was a constant source of abuse, where people were attacked, etc etc...

Have I been harassed by police because Im white? Yes.

I dont really see how that makes me some old prvilieged and sheltered white man.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kapster)
    I have never heard of the phrase 'white culture' before this thread. What the hell is it? There's British culture, French culture, Welsh culture, Italian culture etc but white culture??? That's the reason why a white society is generally not seen as appropriate.
    And yet black culture is ok?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    If that was referring to me you honestly have no fecking idea.

I grew up in the West Indies, where being white was a constant source of abuse, where people were attacked, etc etc...

Have I been harassed by police because Im white? Yes.

I dont really see how that makes me some old prvilieged and sheltered white man.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
    It was a simile, hence the use of the "the likes of". I put it in to shield myself from this inevitable response. Thank god I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    It was a simile, hence the use of the "the likes of". I put it in to shield myself from this inevitable response. Thank god I did.

You foresaw how ignorant your post was and yet still made it? Interesting.

By adding the "likes of" doesn’t change the fact that it is entirely inapplicable to me.

The fact is I have experienced pretty serious racism in my life, and racism greater than any of my black friends have experienced. They will be the first to agree.

Anyway - I dont see where pipes or monocles come into it ... but paint whatever picture you choose.

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree with you, but also agree with Lawz about "black culture". Culture is linked to far more factors than simply race, and for this reason I disagree with references to "black culture" as much as I disagree with simple references to "White culture".

ReputationRep:
    What is black culture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    'White' isn't a culture.
    Then neither is Black.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    Would you find it slightly quaint, if hypothetically, at an African University there was a black society? Why would a 'white' society need to be formed in a country where the majority of the population is white
    As has already been asked, what about universities where the majority of the population is non-white?

why set up a society purely on the grounds of race alone?
    So, do you disagree with black people setting up 'black societies'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atomik)
    As has already been asked, what about universities where the majority of the population is non-white?
    As I've already said, it's really irrelevant what the University is composed of. We're living in Britain, a predominantly white country.

So, do you disagree with black people setting up 'black societies'?
    No, because usually it wouldn't just be a 'black' society, it would be a society linked to some cultural or national heritage, e.g. afro-caribbean. The equivalent you are thinking of is a 'British' society, not a 'white' one.

And if indeed there was a 'black' society the label probably would be misleading anyway, referring to a certain culture or whatever not necassarily just to celebrate the colour of their skin. If you can provide me with evidence of a University Society called 'The Black Society' whereby the membership requirement is that you must be black and the content of the meetings is them talking about the colour of their skin, then you may have a point about double standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    But think of the particular situation at hand. Would you find it slightly quaint, if hypothetically, at an African University there was a black society? Why would a 'white' society need to be formed in a country where the majority of the population is white, and the entire history of the...blah blah you know where I'm going with this. Yet to re-iterate the other point, why set up a society purely on the grounds of race alone? The societies in question bring together people wishing to partake in the values of a different culture or celebrate aspects of that culture. 'White' isn't a culture.
    Would it be acceptable to create a 'White music' society?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    To have a 'whites' society would be exclusionist in nature. We LIVE in a white majority, daily life is the white society. Turn on the TV and you'll see white reporters reporting white, British news and entertainment in the majority of cases. Minorities may wish to have their own group to bring eachother together and celebrate their minority culture. I'm sure in some cases this may extend to being exclusionist, but it's not a case of double standards in the majority of cases.
    Increasingly large numbers of people DO NOT live in a white majority society, especially if their neighbourhood is populated mainly by ethnic minorities, would a black interests group in these cases be 'exclusionist in nature'? The idea that minorities are not represented (if not overrepresented) on TV and in the media is a joke, especially when one considers that the latest census tells us that ethnic minorities make up 6-7% of the population. Do you REALLY believe that less than 6-7% of people in news and entertainment are ethnic minorities???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    As I've already said, it's really irrelevant what the University is composed of. We're living in Britain, a predominantly white country.

No, because usually it wouldn't just be a 'black' society, it would be a society linked to some cultural or national heritage, e.g. afro-caribbean. The equivalent you are thinking of is a 'British' society, not a 'white' one.

And if indeed there was a 'black' society the label probably would be misleading anyway, referring to a certain culture or whatever not necassarily just to celebrate the colour of their skin. If you can provide me with evidence of a University Society called 'The Black Society' whereby the membership requirement is that you must be black and the content of the meetings is them talking about the colour of their skin, then you may have a point about double standards.
    So to be clear, a White Society open to blacks and others, in order to celebrate white cultures would be fine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    So to be clear, a White Society open to blacks and others, in order to celebrate white cultures would be fine?
    It depends what you mean by 'White'. If it was a 'British' society, then there would of course be nothing wrong with it, but to call it a 'white' society, that's just vague rubbish clearly designed as a response to feeling a victim of double standards. What is the need for a 'White' society if, as the poster above you claims, 94% of the population is white? It's ridiculous to suggest there'd be any reason for forming a society based on skin colour alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    It depends what you mean by 'White'. If it was a 'British' society, then there would of course be nothing wrong with it, but to call it a 'white' society, that's just vague rubbish clearly designed as a response to feeling a victim of double standards. What is the need for a 'White' society if, as the poster above you claims, 94% of the population is white? It's ridiculous to suggest there'd be any reason for forming a society based on skin colour alone.
    Ok lets be clear:

Ok to have a black society open to whites and blacks to celebrate the vastly disparate "black cultures"

Not ok to have a white society open to blacks and whites, to celebrate the vastly disparate "white cultures"

Have I got it right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Ok lets be clear:

Ok to have a black society open to whites and blacks to celebrate the vastly disparate "black cultures"

Not ok to have a white society open to blacks and whites, to celebrate the vastly disparate "white cultures"

Have I got it right?
    Haha, nice going there.

Like I said if you can give me evidence of a 'Black Society' that emcompasses different groups of people with black skin from around the globe then you may have a point.

Whoops, no you still wouldn't because there'd still be a difference between the two as blacks would still be a minority in this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    Haha, nice going there.

Like I said if you can give me evidence of a 'Black Society' that emcompasses different groups of people with black skin from around the globe then you may have a point.

Whoops, no you still wouldn't because there'd still be a difference between the two as blacks would still be a minority in this country.
    Ok - so let me be clear - your differentiation is NOT on the basis that black societies may deal with culture rather than race because you would have a problem with its white counterpart. Instead your sole differentiation is that whites are not a minority, and this thus makes such a society objectionable?

Why? if all it does is celebrate culture, and is open to all why does it matter what the ethnic makeup of the country is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    Cambridge University Black Society. It's so all-encompassing it's essentially a non-white society!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Ok - so let me be clear - your differentition is NOT on the basis that black societies may deal with culture rather than race because you would have a problem with its white counterpart. Instead your sole differentiation is that whites are not a minority, and this thus makes such a society objectionable?

Why? if all it does is celebrate culture, and is open to all why does it matter what the ethnic makeup of the country is?
    Clearly you're having some difficulty with understanding me, or you're being wilfully ignorant.

I do not have a 'sole' differentation. If you want to argue for double standards against white people, because you think a 'White' society would be criticised, then produce an example of a 'Black' society in which the only criteria is race and not culture. I believe any 'black society' would be linked to the cultural qualities attached to that, not racial.

My argument against a 'white' society is that white people compose the majority of the country. Thus your daily life you would be living and experiencing the lifestyle of a 'white society'. There would be no need for a University Society counterpart other than to assert yourself and challenge what you see as double standards, which is evidently what you are doing.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.