Turn on thread page Beta

What Are The Best Extra Curricular Activities To Secure A Top Tc Or Pupillage watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommehR)
    This debate seems to be going round and round in circles and now appears to be focusing upon semantics. I would suggest a return to the original question.
    Exactly what I was trying to encourage. Having this debate which is basically who can nitpick the best, although shows admirable law skills, is not really relevant to the main point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by different?)
    Exactly what I was trying to encourage. Having this debate which is basically who can nitpick the best, although shows admirable law skills, is not really relevant to the main point.
    Technically it is.

I'm arguing there isn't a list of prefered ECs and the OP should do what they enjoy.

Manthi et al are arguing there is and that the OP should concentrate on a defined list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    Manthi et al are arguing there is and that the OP should concentrate on a defined list.
    No we aren't! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the latter statement in the above post. :p:

Edit: the above post being that of Ethereal; you beat me to it IC Law! hehe..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    Technically it is.

I'm arguing there isn't a list of prefered ECs and the OP should do what they enjoy.

I didn't say it wasn't relevant at all, what i actually said it wasn't directly relelvent to the MAIN point, i would have thought the subject title would encourage a list of suggestions of ECs as well as the other points which have been made. However, very few suggestions have been made, ergo the discussion is off the central focus, or at the very least not all points have been addressed with equal depth.

ReputationRep:
    But you see Different, according to Ethereal, even Sewing is an acceptable extra curricular for a Law student to do in search of that elusive training contract if he/she enjoys it, and because of the skills of planning etc. that he/she will gain from it. In which case, any EC under the sun would be fine for a Law student as long as he/she enjoys it!! eg:tic-tac-toe, playing indians etc. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manthi)
    But you see Different, according to Ethereal, even sewing is an acceptable extra curricular for a Law student to do in search of that elusive training contract because he enjoys it, and the skills of planning etc. that you gain from it. In which case, any EC under the sun would be fine for a Law student as long as he/she enjoys it!! eg:tic-tac-toe, playing indians etc. :rolleyes:
    Ah, so it depends on whose perspective we're going with as to what EC's are recommendable.

ReputationRep:
    It would be advisable for all of us to go on employer's perspective of what EC's are recommendable, and refrain from playing indians at university no matter how much we love it. I rest my case.

ReputationRep:
    How do you suggest we guess what employers consider acceptable?

ReputationRep:
    Somehow, I dont know why, I have this really gut feeling that recruiters at Clifford Chance/Linklaters etc. will not be too impressed with us having played Indians at university, no matter how "fun" an experience it was for us, nor the amount of "teamwork" and "creativity" we got out of it.

ReputationRep:
    On a more serious note, already many ECs have been suggested throughout this thread. A few important ones being Debating Societies, Student's Union Committees etc. as Chalks has mentioned. I dont think that it is a very hard proposition to guess what sort of ECs that employers will prefer over others.

ReputationRep:
    Basically good things are as follows, I have been to some selection days and interviews and the following are common:

Mooting (duh)
    Pro bono (duh)
    Parliamentary researching
    Business related things (I was a student bar manager, looks really good in commerical field)
    ANY society or committee position, such as a JCR or law soc

Basically anything with responsibility, even just casual work experience looks good if you word it correctly. Sport, music etc etc its all good ... but above all its gonna be how you write the answers to their mumbo questions on application forms and how you perform at the interview rather than the experience you have.

ReputationRep:
    As a direct response to the OP, the following tend to look good on CVs:

- voluntary work (whether legal related eg CAB, or not)
    - a sport/musical instrument followed for a long period of time i.e. from school into Uni, or to a high level
    - an outward-bound type activity: climbing/kayaking/orienteering etc
    - OTC
    - some form of student activism: involvement in uni newspaper, union itself etc

It is not necessary to achieve some spectacular level of success in any of those activities. However, somewhere on the CV will need to be a position of responsibility: committee stuff is the standard one.

However, I reiterate my original point. None of those activities are worth ANYTHING unless you can explain on the form and in interview what skills you have gained from the particular extra-curric activity. Law firms aren't recruiting rugby players, mountain climbers, home-help volunteers or pianists. They're aiming to recruit well-rounded students who can demonstrate that they have the various attributes to make a good lawyer. Accordingly, it is crucial that you are able to identify what legal-related skills you have learnt. The worst applic forms I have seen simply list the activities they've done as though that, on its own, is enough.

As an aside, I wouldn't concentrate too much on the obviously legal activities such as mooting/debating etc. Being a lawyer isn't about being able to stand on your feet for half an hour and argue an arcane point of law.

chalks.

ReputationRep:
    Welcome back Chalks. How was your easter surf fest?

Happy "less than 2 weeks to go til leave firm" day :p:

(Original post by chalks)
    The worst applic forms I have seen simply list the activities they've done as though that, on its own, is enough.
    One moment...

People just put down 'Rugby 1st XV Captain'?

I mean, to an extent, you can extrapolate certain things from that... no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    One moment...

People just put down 'Rugby 1st XV Captain'?

I mean, to an extent, you can extrapolate certain things from that... no?
    Yes for example you can tell they are too lazy to think about what they got out of it

ReputationRep:
    Correct.

The idea of the application form is for you to show a potential employer how amazing you are. Simply putting "Rugby 1st XV captain" and nothing else is sufficient if you are applying for Andy Robinson's job. But if you're applying for a law job you need to explain why that particular role is relevant to being a lawyer.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and Ethereal - the surf was non-existent all weekend other than Sunday. Not impressed. Thanks for the best wishes.

ReputationRep:
    I have bad a-level BUT I have a 2.1 LLB , LLM, was President of my uni law soc, play instruments , part of music soc commitee, part of law school board, helped at uni open days, took part in mooting in my second year, trained as a volunteer CAB advisor, good legal work experience (london and regional mini pupillages (3!), work experience in a small firm and an eversheds vac scheme) and still no luck with a training contract, so i have no clue what firms want

ReputationRep:
    It sounds to me as though you may be doing something wrong on your application forms - that sort of experience should be getting you interviews at the very least. It may be that your applic forms are not highlighting the areas they should be.

If you'd like me to take a look at what you've previously prepared then send me a PM and I'll give you my thoughts.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.