Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    being proud of irish is coz u is all drunkards init.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BS-E-M-Student)
    As opposed to being an English prat like yourself??

I've never been to Ireland sadly, but I would love to visit. Mainly because of the accent, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drazen2007)
    I don't have anything against Ireland or Irish people, but I can't understand why a lot of us seem to love the country and it's people. Why do we hold the Irish in such high regard all the time? Is it just because of their accent, or because of the Guinness or what? It's as if there's nothing better than being Irish, and everyone wants an Irish partner or even to be Irish.

I don't dislike Irish people in general, but the Irish people that come over to Liverpool on St Patrick's Day for a night out out annoy me - they go around painting the city centre green and encouraging everyone else to join them in getting pissed and if anything, they seem to be reinforcing our obsession with drinking.

People only seem to visit Ireland because of their bars and pubs, and the only ideal, must-visit place in Dublin is the Guinness factory. All my flat mates want to get a cheap ferry to Dublin and they want me to come along with them, but I can't understand the appeal of the country. People also go on about Ireland's unspoilt, natural beauty - Wales and Scotland are equally as unspoilt and beautiful, but nobody talks about either country or their people as highly.

My dad, who spent a few nights in Dublin was surprised by how the city has such a relaxed atmosphere, and how Brits on holiday there were so well-behaved even when enjoying the city's drinking lifestyle. I've visited other countries in Europe such as France, Italy and Spain, and all three countries have a far richer culture and history, far better food and a more peaceful lifestyle, but it really shames me to see Brits on holiday especially in France with their loutish and ignorant behaviour at bars and restaurants. People here seem to go on about how they hate the French, who are far more civilised people than Irish.

Perhaps it's just a matter of personal taste, but I'm in the minority - I don't think much at all of Ireland or the Irish.

And an entire nation is devastated.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think you can stereotype any nation as being great or nothing special- the nation is comprised of individuals, not one big block of people who think and act the same way

I think there are certain cultural norms, ways of behaving, in every country- like here in Ireland there is still for example a hardcore taboo on abortion (basically pretending we dont have a need, ignoring the fact that thousands of women go to the uk every year for abortions cos its illegal here), which people from other nationalities might find irritatingly outdated or whimsically endearing

Drazen2007 shares an interesting point that her father commented on. Brits abroad are notoriously badly behaved, en masse - creating havoc with drunken and loutish behaviour. Yet her father said this was not the case when they were abroad in Ireland, on the contrary - they behaved well and the atmosphere was relaxed.

That is most probably because the Irish nation at home has a charm that captivates people from other nations. They welcome them into their country and their hospitality is next to none. They make people feel special.

Is this the reason for the good behaviour in their country by a nation that is normally notoriously badly behaved when away from home?

ReputationRep:
    I'm 77% Irish...

ReputationRep:
    I'm half irish and i feel pretty patriotic on St Patrick's day, i think i wouldn't enjoy it as much if i was in Ireland though, as i'd probably be considered not irish enough :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drazen2007)
    I don't have anything against Ireland or Irish people, but I can't understand why a lot of us seem to love the country and it's people. Why do we hold the Irish in such high regard all the time? Is it just because of their accent, or because of the Guinness or what? It's as if there's nothing better than being Irish, and everyone wants an Irish partner or even to be Irish.

I don't dislike Irish people in general, but the Irish people that come over to Liverpool on St Patrick's Day for a night out out annoy me - they go around painting the city centre green and encouraging everyone else to join them in getting pissed and if anything, they seem to be reinforcing our obsession with drinking.

People only seem to visit Ireland because of their bars and pubs, and the only ideal, must-visit place in Dublin is the Guinness factory. All my flat mates want to get a cheap ferry to Dublin and they want me to come along with them, but I can't understand the appeal of the country. People also go on about Ireland's unspoilt, natural beauty - Wales and Scotland are equally as unspoilt and beautiful, but nobody talks about either country or their people as highly.

My dad, who spent a few nights in Dublin was surprised by how the city has such a relaxed atmosphere, and how Brits on holiday there were so well-behaved even when enjoying the city's drinking lifestyle. I've visited other countries in Europe such as France, Italy and Spain, and all three countries have a far richer culture and history, far better food and a more peaceful lifestyle, but it really shames me to see Brits on holiday especially in France with their loutish and ignorant behaviour at bars and restaurants. People here seem to go on about how they hate the French, who are far more civilised people than Irish.

Perhaps it's just a matter of personal taste, but I'm in the minority - I don't think much at all of Ireland or the Irish.
    I think thats a bit unfair to be honest.

But for the most part I agree with your post, as for the Liverpool thing, I think the emigrants who live in England give us a bad reputation, but believe me we are not all like this, we have horrible people we have nice people, just like Britain.

As for coming to Ireland just for Dublin and the Guinness factory, go to Wicklow, much nicer scenery and here's a little secret, you'll get a better pint in Wicklow than the quickly poured muck in Dublin

As for the people saying they think the Irish living in Britain think they are better than the English, I don't think this is true, we're all from Africa at the end of the day.

And mr BNP guy, go fist yourself

ReputationRep:
    ive been looking for this song EVERYWHERE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03VvYPuQxus

thought i'd share that

(Original post by BNP-Supporter)
    Britain has the highest proportion of drunkards in Europe...fact.

They beat the Irish for drunkenness...fact.

The binge drinking culture in Britain is causing an exponential rise in the incidence of alcoholism in both teen girls and boys...fact.

The OP is an ill-informed bigot...fact. : )

(Original post by adamdivine)
    ive been looking for this song EVERYWHERE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03VvYPuQxus

thought i'd share that
    Thanks so much for the share which I've bookmarked.

That fairly had me on my feet dancing the 'Slip Jig' around my study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Britain has the highest proportion of drunkards in Europe...fact.

They beat the Irish for drunkenness...fact.
    Well pip pip, tally-ho and Rule Britannia; we've beaten the paddies at their own game!

(Original post by L i b)
    Well pip pip, tally-ho and Rule Britannia; we've beaten the paddies at their own game!
    And by a very long margin...urinating in gutters, crapping on pavements, vomiting on car bonnets, shagging total strangers in shop doorways...yeah, pip, pip, tally-ho, us Brits certainly have something to be proud of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    crapping on pavements
    Now that's something I've yet to see!

us Brits
    Us? I wasn't aware you were amongst that number, except perhaps in terms of official administrivia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    And by a very long margin...urinating in gutters, crapping on pavements, vomiting on car bonnets, shagging total strangers in shop doorways...yeah, pip, pip, tally-ho, us Brits certainly have something to be proud of.
    Dunno about that. Dublin is reputedly much worse than Lonodn for that kinda caper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Dunno about that. Dublin is reputedly much worse than Lonodn for that kinda caper.
    Vomit in the streets, at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Vomit in the streets, at least.
    Chavs and fights too, they love a fight do the micks. Bare knuckle **** out in the bogs too.

Yawns got the view of Irealnd I used to have-a romantic one. In fact it's most probably a not as good, and slightly wetter version of England.

That's all the visitors from Britain, not the Irish!! They go over in droves for their hen and stag nights and get up to all the stuff they do here at home. : )

Chavs and fights too, they love a fight do the micks. Bare knuckle **** out in the bogs too.

Yawns got the view of Irealnd I used to have-a romantic one. In fact it's most probably a not as good, and slightly wetter version of England.
    Since I spend at least four weeks every year in Ireland and most of it in Connemara where there are bogs aplenty, I can assure you I have no idealistic ideas of modern day Ireland and I can definitely say that there are no bare knuckle whatever out in the bogs since the bogs are no longer 'harvested' in the main, due to environmental reasons.

Where do you stay when you vist, ns?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Since I spend at least four weeks every year in Ireland and most of it in Connemara where there are bogs aplenty, I can assure you I have no idealistic ideas of modern day Ireland and I can definitely say that there are no bare knuckle whatever out in the bogs since the bogs are no longer 'harvested' in the main, due to environmental reasons.

Where do you stay when you vist, ns?
    I don't. I'm just being a know it all..But lets be honest it hasn't got the population and the variety of England, or the cities. Though it does have fitter women. The people in England are a tad nicer I'd say.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.