31.33%
No (57)
68.67%
cheesecakebobby
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Why make him a martyr? Force him to live out his existence in a US cell surrounded by the sort of people he wanted to kill. I hardly think he will be the most popular guy on campus.
Bismarck
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by darkenergy)
I never suggested that the convicted murderer (innocent or not) to be let out, I merely pointed out that murdering a murderer is fundamentally unethical.
So you'd put an innocent man into prison for life?
xzcplvijg-sadfuvbkeb
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Bismarck)
So if a paedophile believes that paedophilia shouldn't be against the law?
Why is it that stupid people always bring paedophiles into an argument to make some sort of irrelevant point?

What I was getting at was that if you disagree with a law because you believe it to be wrong, you shouldn't just sit there and accept it. Otherwise no 'bad' laws are changed.

In otherwords, agreeing with the death penatly just because it's the law is in my eyes not a valid reason for supporting it.
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
So you'd put an innocent man into prison for life?
I have never said that. In an idealised system you wouldn't have put an innocent person in prison in the first place. However, it is better to imprison an innocent person than to execute him. It's the lesser of the two evils.
Ferrus
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by xzcplvijg-sadfuvbkeb)
Why is it that stupid people always bring paedophiles into an argument to make some sort of irrelevant point?

What I was getting at was that if you disagree with a law because you believe it to be wrong, you shouldn't just sit there and accept it. Otherwise no 'bad' laws are changed.

In otherwords, agreeing with the death penatly just because it's the law is in my eyes not a valid reason for supporting it.
Agreeing with the law and obeying it because it is the law are two seperate things.
Bismarck
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by darkenergy)
I have never said that. In an idealised system you wouldn't have put an innocent person in prison in the first place. However, it is better to imprison an innocent person than to execute him. It's the lesser of the two evils.
Why is it the lesser of two evils to have an innocent man spend their life in prison than to execute them?
xzcplvijg-sadfuvbkeb
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Ferrus)
Agreeing with the law and obeying it because it is the law are two seperate things.
I agree. And I think its healthy for everyone to draw a moral line between laws they're willing to accept even though they disagree with them, and those they will neither accept or follow.
Ferrus
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by xzcplvijg-sadfuvbkeb)
I agree. And I think its healthy for everyone to draw a moral line between laws they're willing to accept even though they disagree with them, and those they will neither accept or follow.
But you should obey a law even ifyou feel it is bad, otherwise the law becomes a fallacy.
Lawz-
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
But you should obey a law even ifyou feel it is bad, otherwise the law becomes a fallacy.
So a law that requires you to kill Jews for instance - comply?

A law that makes the current leader - leader for life and immune from prosecution - that's something you just swallow?
SuperhansFavouriteAlsatian
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Amon.)
:rolleyes: someone didn't like there rep.....

I did not post "inflammatory bile", I posted a story that happened and stopped muslims terrorist attacks for 50years.
Is that the story about the bullets in pugs blood? Why on earth was that deleted?
xzcplvijg-sadfuvbkeb
Report 13 years ago
Well in the end, that's my decision. In most cases breaking laws because you disagree with them is a stupid idea, and is detrimental to society as a whole, but I think some need to be broken. The important thing is where you draw that moral line.
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Why is it the lesser of two evils to have an innocent man spend their life in prison than to execute them?
That's my opinion, maybe some people would think that killing the man is more ethical than locking him up for life.
LostRiot
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If he's executed it will show that the US is no better than most of the middle east.

He should be imprisoned for life,
Bismarck
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by KidA)
If he's executed it will show that the US is no better than most of the middle east.

He should be imprisoned for life,
Because clearly the only bad thing the Middle East has going for it is the execution of criminals.
LostRiot
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
no one has the right to say whether someone else should live or die.
Bismarck
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by KidA)
no one has the right to say whether someone else should live or die.
I take it you're opposed to euthanasia then? And to all wars? And all abortions?
SuperhansFavouriteAlsatian
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Send him to Mexico.
Akhoza
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Agent Smith)
One of these days you'll blunder along saying things like that and run up against someone who DID lose a relative in some appalling catastrophe and DOES have the capacity to forgive the guards at Auschwitz, the 11/9 hijackers or whatever. Or who recognises that killing a killer doesn't bring the victims back. And then where will your emotionalist argument be, eh?
OOoo i did lose a relative in 11/9 and i cant forgive since i genuinly believe these people are sick twisted psychopaths and killing a killer does bring me comfort unless they are truely sorry for there crime which i believe non of these terrorists are. Anything else you want to say:rolleyes:
yawn
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Akhoza)
OOoo i did lose a relative in 11/9 and i cant forgive since i genuinly believe these people are sick twisted psychopaths and killing a killer does bring me comfort unless they are truely sorry for there crime which i believe non of these terrorists are. Anything else you want to say:rolleyes:
So did my family.

He was in his office in the second tower and was on the phone to my cousin (his wife) reassuring her he was OK and about to evacuate the building when he said "OMG - there's a plane coming straight towards me..." The rest is history.

The difference between you and us is that we have forgiven and therefore are liberated from hatred.

I thank God for giving us the strength to do so.
Bismarck
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
So did my family.

He was in his office in the second tower and was on the phone to my cousin (his wife) reassuring her he was OK and about to evacuate the building when he said "OMG - there's a plane coming straight towards me..." The rest is history.

The difference between you and us is that we have forgiven and therefore are liberated from hatred.

I thank God for giving us the strength to do so.
You have a right to forgive murderers; you have no right to tell others to forget as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (160)
51.61%
No (150)
48.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise