Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You'd be one of the younger ones, but certainly not the youngest...quite a few Scots are 17 when they start.
    But there's a whole array of ages. In my house last year I was the youngest, at 17 (yep, I was the baby of the house ), there were two at 18, one at 19, one at 20 and one at 23...one of the 18-year-olds couldn't handle self-catering (it's a miracle he didn't get food poisoning ), so he left to get into catered and his replacement in the house was 27 years old.

ReputationRep:
    Course: Computer Science
    Conditions: B at Higher
    Current Location: Edinburgh

I'm actually suprised St Andrews gave me an offer, see I turned up horribly hungover for my Higher Physics last year and nearly was sick all over the paper and needed to leave the exam hall. When I returned I didn't have enough time / wasn't in a good state anyway and ended up getting a NA for the exam (yeah that would be no award). My Appeal didn't get anywhere.

I got 3 B's in my other subjects, but since St Andrews is so competitive I didn't expect my ucas offer to get any response, so many people that did get the required grades would have taken all the places first. Plus I only had 1 higher science subject under my beat, Computing. Min requirement is 2.

I've just done 2 highers which I did well in (no drinking this time around) and I have Advanced Higher Computing on Monday. Funny thing is that this year I've done Higher Philosophy and Business Management, neither are science subjects so I've been given an offer despite not meeting the criteria for entry. Somehow I've gotten into St Andrews via the backdoor.

I hope that there is a niche in the Uni for a professional slacker like myself.

ReputationRep:
    Your higher results were better than mine in fifth year, Madmanjock
    I had an A for music that I got in fourth year, but fifth year was a disaster - I got 4 Cs and an Int2 A (failed higher english).
    My requirements to get into StA after sixth year was for me to get 4 Bs, and I somehow managed to get 2 As and 2 Cs (equivalent UCAS points), so I got in And on top of that, one of the Cs was appealed and increased to a B

ReputationRep:
    Ah cool, the impression I got of St Andrews was that everyone who applies is A band 1 all round the board

I'm really looking forward to going, could I ask what the Maths module in 1st year is like if you did it? I'm not bad at maths (and I know it goes hand and hand with CS) but I never did Higher, as I hate the subject :P I told myself after getting Credit SG that would be the end of the subject for me.

ReputationRep:
    I never do well in maths exams...so I failed Maths when I did it this year
    I'm not bad at it, myself - I just can't do the exams :confused:

But the subject isn't that bad. Since you didn't do higher maths, you'll have to do Discrete Mathematics for Computer Science (CS1010), which I guarantee is a piece of cake. I went to lectures for about 3 weeks, got bored of it and never went to them again...4 months later I walked out of the exam with a grade of 17/20 If you get your B, I've still got the book for discrete maths, so I can sell it to you at a discounted rate

ReputationRep:
    Haha cheers, providing I do get that B indeed

Maths was the only ickle concern I had

ReputationRep:
    After much deliberating, I've just made St Andrews my firm so...

Course: Modern Languages with Linguistics (WIYA)
    Conditions: ABB with the A in French or Spanish
    Current Location: Gloucestershire

But as my sig says, I may have a change of heart on results day! So maybe see you guys next year...

ReputationRep:
    Yay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lingolicious)
    But as my sig says, I may have a change of heart on results day!
    Noooo, we don't want you to have a change of heart :suith::suith: :rolleyes:

Forget about Southampton - come up to bonnie Scotland, where it's bloody cold but damned beautiful And you'll have the chance to get lots of hugs from me :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Course: Mathematics
    Conditions: AAB but I already have an A in maths from last year so that means AB
    Current Location: Belfast

I was looking through this thread and I was surprised/pleased to see how many international people are going to be there next year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    Noooo, we don't want you to have a change of heart :suith::suith: :rolleyes:

Forget about Southampton - come up to bonnie Scotland, where it's bloody cold but damned beautiful And you'll have the chance to get lots of hugs from me :hugs:
    It's not Southampton I need to forget about (actually not entirely sure why I put an insurance - it's St Andrews or reapply) it's damn Cambridge!
    But thankyou for the love Bonnie Scotland is really tempting me actually. Couple more months to think it over yet...!

ReputationRep:
    Yes...think it over...and you'd better make the right decision :security:

And you can have all the love you want :p: I love everyone here who's planning on going to St Andrews :lovie: (I love that new smilie )
    I'm full of love :love:

ReputationRep:
    confusion rectified

ReputationRep:
    Delete that post, I'll PM you...and Icecradle while I'm at it, just so I won't have to do it again.

ReputationRep:
    This is all quite puzzling...:confused:

ReputationRep:
    You'll find out in due course...but not yet :p:
    Just ignore it for now.

ReputationRep:
    Well then, I trust you so I'll just forgett about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ankan)
    Well then, I trust you so I'll just forgett about it.
    Good :hugs:
    Don't worry, you'll eventually find out what it was all about - I just don't want to go into it until I'm ready to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vague)
    Subject: English & Spanish
    Conditions: AAB
    Location: North Yorkshire, although I've only lived there for 2/3 years (army brat!) and I'm more of a southern softy.
    welcome! there a whole host of locations, i wudn't worry!!

(Original post by vague)
    I've been lurking around the forum for a while, so I thought it was time to make myself known.
    HENCE the name vague??

(Original post by vague)
    I originally applied for Spanish alone, and then had the mother of all panics back in April when I wrote an embarrassingly boastful letter to all my choices, begging them to let me change to joint honours.
    yay more modern languages ppl!! don't worry i crine every time i think of my personal statement its the way it goes!

congrats!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondemoment)
    i crine every time i think of my personal statement its the way it goes!
    Heh, I was the same. I really didn't think my personal statement was all that great, but at least I didn't get mine thrown back at me by my guidance teacher and told that it was a piece of crap and that I had to rewrite it (which did happen to one of my friends...poor guy)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 3, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.