Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A lot of homeless people are aggressive or rude but you can't really blame them given their situation and many aren't like that at all but are very polite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)
    What? By giving them electro-shock therapy until they want to have jobs?

If they're so bonkers (excuse the jargon) that they can't look after themselves, then pack them off to a hospital; otherwise, they've chosen that lifestyle. Hell, they might even enjoy it - I don't think we should be making judgements on what is right and proper on their behalf.
    You've never heard of care in the community?
    =No care + No community

The Tories closed many of the large Victorian Asylums in the '80s

If they want some cash for food, fine, but to imply that it's somehow their God-given right to get other people's stuff when they aren't willing to give anything back is wrong.
    How do you know they haven't contributed already?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    Riiiight, so on your list of what constitutes as sub- human behaviour, there is swearing at a lack of generosity, and looking at malnourished children.

Guess what i think is sub-human. A complete lack of compassion for the human condition, whether or not you believe they got that way themselves. I wouldn't care if it was all their fault, and they were drug addits. I'd feel sorry for them and their condition, and i'd wish that we were all able to lead "good" lives. The lack of feeling on your part is sociopathic and frankly quite scary. It has been conclusively shown in results from brain scans of serial killers, that the makeup of their brains in the areas that deal with compassion and empathy, is different from that of those who are "normal". You are despicable; i know who i would rather share a day with.
    I only have a 'lack of feeling' for these people because they make no effort to contribute to society (both financially and as human beings) but still believe we should fund their lazy behaviour. Why should I reward them for this with my own hard-earned money, especially if the majority of them are ungrateful if you donate small amounts. For me, you are the 'despicable' one for sympathising with these scum because this merely encourages them to continue their futile lives on the streets - people like you are promising to fund it! Your suggestion that I display the symptoms of a serial killer was a tad ridiculous, considering that half the people on this forum agree that tramps do not deserve our compassion - are 50% of the people here potential homicidal maniacs then??? Perhaps it is you who should have a closer look at yourself and admit this do-gooder mentality is actually just a subconscious plea for praise and adoration. Tramps are vile people and don't deserve anyone's pity or compassion - lets do away with these dregs of society!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howie)
    are 50% of the people here potential homicidal maniacs then??? Perhaps it is you who should have a closer look at yourself and admit this do-gooder mentality is actually just a subconscious plea for praise and adoration. Tramps are vile people and don't deserve anyone's pity or compassion - lets do away with these dregs of society!
    I think that 100% of the population are potentially homicidal maniacs.
    The homeless guy that keeps an eye on my dog for me whilst I go to the shop isn't vile. Yes, he's always drunk to the extent that he doesn't often remember me or my dog even though I ask him to hold him every time I go to the shop, but this doesn't make him vile. He's perfectly nice and pleasant to me, perhaps because I treat him like a human being? In my experience normal people are more rude to homeless people than homeless people are rude to normal people. How many situations are there where it's considered socially appropiate to completely ignore a person who is talking to you? Somehow you're allowed to do this when a homeless person talks to you.

Personally, I think it's people with attitudes like yours that are vile and undeserving of pity and compassion. Please go away and learn to be nice, and then we'll talk.

ReputationRep:
    Get over it. Of course he has something wrong with him - his life sucks, and he probably has some sort of problem, be it drug-related or a mental condition. You, on the other hand, are lucky to have a much more comfortable life. I say lucky, because there's no way on Earth its all down to your hard work vs. his laziness, that's just not how the world works. While we must always take responsibility for our own lives, there is such a thing as fortune. Just turn the other cheek.

Bear in mind that you're also missing coldfish's point. You declared that you hate hobos. Period. Coldfish then pointed out that many homeless people are simply not deserving of that statement. Giving a couple of examples of ones that in your opinion are does not refute that point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howie)
    My town is littered with bums, spongers, and trampies (more politically correctly known as hobos ). Recently a tramp cursed me when I refused his plea for change. The reason why I didn't give him change was because it has always been my conviction that my generous offerings would only contribute to the further deterioration of the subject, i.e. drugs and drink. Instead of lounging around and intimidating decent folk they should be "volunteered" by the government into making a proper contribution to society e.g. charity work, army front line. They are harming our countries precious image and only by cleansing our soceity of these scum will we be able to rectify our damaged reputation!

P.S. Look out for my imminent gypo-hate post
    What a disgusting human being you are. Do you not take into account the mental stability of these people and the reasons behind why they are in the situation they are?

You are really a vile person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howie)
    I only have a 'lack of feeling' for these people because they make no effort to contribute to society (both financially and as human beings) but still believe we should fund their lazy behaviour. Why should I reward them for this with my own hard-earned money, especially if the majority of them are ungrateful if you donate small amounts. For me, you are the 'despicable' one for sympathising with these scum because this merely encourages them to continue their futile lives on the streets - people like you are promising to fund it! Your suggestion that I display the symptoms of a serial killer was a tad ridiculous, considering that half the people on this forum agree that tramps do not deserve our compassion - are 50% of the people here potential homicidal maniacs then??? Perhaps it is you who should have a closer look at yourself and admit this do-gooder mentality is actually just a subconscious plea for praise and adoration. Tramps are vile people and don't deserve anyone's pity or compassion - lets do away with these dregs of society!
    What 'hard-earned money'? You're at secondary school, according to your profile. It's Mummy and Daddy's 'hard- earned money'.

You're not a bad little wind-up merchant though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aetheria)
    How about the homeless guy that sat drinking on the front steps of my accomodation and screamed obscenities at me when I left or arrived at my own house. Or the guy who shouted "you selfish *****" at me for ignoring him, because I had my headphones on and couldn't hear normal volume talking? I've ignored a lot of other people that way totally by accident and they've always thought it was hilarious. So obviously this guy has something wrong with him. No one else has called me a ***** for wearing headphones!
    one bad experience with a homeless person makes you detest all of them? Thats a bit silly if you ask me. And i bet you treat homless people with a lot of contempt too. And they can feel that. They can feel sneers, they can hear snorts, they know they are at the bottom of the pile, they know you think you are above them. Added the fact that theyre starving, and freezing, i bet they will be a bit pissed off. Just try talking to, sya, a big-issue seller. You'll realise how charming such people can be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Do you think someone with a drug and drink problem would be ideally suited to charity work or front line soldiering?

I'm not sure about you but I wouldn't want someone in that condition (many of whom also have serious mental health issues) next to me in the front line.
    Or protecting my country for that matter.

ReputationRep:
    No, read the post before that. I've had several bad experiences and no good ones. I don't treat them with contempt, I just ignore them. I don't fancy getting stabbed and killed for refusing to give them my hard-earned money. What have they done to earn my money? **** all. Hence they get **** all.
    Ok, even 100 bad experiences with tramps wouldn't qualify you to be able to lump all hundreds of thousands of them under one predjudiced umbrella.

And hoe many homeless people have you heard of who have stabbed and kiled someone for not giving them money? I havent heard of a single one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    Ok, even 100 bad experiences with tramps wouldn't qualify you to be able to lump all hundreds of thousands of them under one predjudiced umbrella.

And hoe many homeless people have you heard of who have stabbed and kiled someone for not giving them money? I havent heard of a single one.
    they would not dare because of cameras etc.

but you try walking about by yourself late at night and see if they are as friendly then.

ReputationRep:
    After dark it's scary. They come at you out of the shadows, like some form of money-hungry zombie. [My new avoidance technique is to pretend I'm foreign and smile blankly while saying random unrelated polish phrases.]
    I agree.

Zostaw mnie. Nie mówię po Angielsku.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BellaCat)
    You've never heard of care in the community?
    =No care + No community
    Care in the community is a joke which has never functioned. Exactly what was the idea supposed to be? That everyone in a town would get together and cook and help out the disabled, the drug addicts, the ones with mental health problems? Well it's funny how they've never actually asked anyone to do that - it's basically leaving people at home to rot.

The Tories closed many of the large Victorian Asylums in the '80s
    Perhaps a bad move. Most were lovely buildings too.

How do you know they haven't contributed already?
    I suppose I don't, but I don't use payment of taxes as a justification for going around intimidating people...

ReputationRep:
    No, that's too related to the subject! I say "I love chickens more than you forever"! (Although I have no idea how to type it, I can speak some polish but not write any). Most people don't speak polish where I'm from so it's useful!
    Kocham kurczęta więcej niż wy zawsze? :rofl:

I like it!

Tramps can speak a bit of English here too, so I might try Polish from now.

ReputationRep:
    I was threatened with that, and it was during the day time, in a busy city centre.

Erm, actually you can lump them all under the same umbrella. It's called sampling and is a common method in the testing of shampoos (eg 89% of women reported shiner hair after use) and cosmetics.

After dark it's scary. They come at you out of the shadows, like some form of money-hungry zombie. [My new avoidance technique is to pretend I'm foreign and smile blankly while saying random unrelated polish phrases.]
    And you are aware of samplings biggest flaw and disadvantage is, arent you?

ReputationRep:
    I was born into a good family, had its problems but did ok, and I am living an easy life right now. I didn't choose to be born into this family, or to have any of the qualities I have.

A mentally unstable 12 year old, whose dad beat up his mum then turned on him, has had a harder time then me. For me to blame him if he then turns into a less-than-admirable person would be a mistake. For me to say he is scum and should be used in place of animals in scientific experiments is absolutely disgusting.

COMPASSION. These people need help, not condemnation. Stop congratulating yourselves for being such a wonderfully hard-working person, those that do - it was luck, pure and simple.

ReputationRep:
    You do seem to be confused about how sampling works though. You can't just ignore everyone else's samples and stick to your own - it's not a game. People have matched every one of your bad experiences with a positive experience. So your sample has become meaningless on its own.

ReputationRep:
    From what I gather, many tramps HAVE been offered help from councils, but often then spend any money they get on drugs or ruin any housing they get given.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howie)
    My town is littered with bums, spongers, and trampies (more politically correctly known as hobos ). Recently a tramp cursed me when I refused his plea for change. The reason why I didn't give him change was because it has always been my conviction that my generous offerings would only contribute to the further deterioration of the subject, i.e. drugs and drink. Instead of lounging around and intimidating decent folk they should be "volunteered" by the government into making a proper contribution to society e.g. charity work, army front line. They are harming our countries precious image and only by cleansing our soceity of these scum will we be able to rectify our damaged reputation!

A lot of the tramps are ex armed services, or victims of the mental health system, so by sending them back to institutions that created their problems in the first place its not really the right thing.

So those are the ones I have sympathy for.

I do have an issue with big issue sellers though.

Hassled before work in the morning.

Hassled after work in the evening.

They stand in the same space all day... are more punctual than I am, yet cant go get a basic job somewhere, even in a factory or something to get themselves out of the situation they're in. Those are the ones whome I have no sympathy for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Scotto)

A lot of the tramps are ex armed services, or victims of the mental health system, so by sending them back to institutions that created their problems in the first place its not really the right thing.

So those are the ones I have sympathy for.

I do have an issue with big issue sellers though.

Hassled before work in the morning.

Hassled after work in the evening.

They stand in the same space all day... are more punctual than I am, yet cant go get a basic job somewhere, even in a factory or something to get themselves out of the situation they're in. Those are the ones whome I have no sympathy for.
    Of all of the homeless people on the streets, you have the least sympathy for the ones earning legitimate money? By doing a proper job? As opposed to doing no job at all? Thats rather strange....

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.