Turn on thread page Beta

Anti-Americanism watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gideon2000uk)
    If something has existed for a long time there is probably a good reason for it and in cultural terms you can't invent a culture it's just not possible!
    The slave trade existed for about 400 years - hardly a "good thing"

The dark agres lasted for much longer - Hardly a "good thing"...

Plus US culture has been developing since 1492 - plenty of time to "create" a culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    The slave trade existed for about 400 years - hardly a "good thing".
    The slave trade has existed forever, and still exists (sorry, pet hate of mine that the slave trade is bottled down to one part of it's history, and the rest almost forgotten or negated)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul Bedford)
    The slave trade has existed forever, and still exists (sorry, pet hate of mine that the slave trade is bottled down to one part of it's history, and the rest almost forgotten or negated)
    yes - I tried to make that clear (I failed). I was going to say slavery - but the Slave trade was meant to refer to the export to the Indies and the US.

ReputationRep:
    It's very relevent to someone who is an old fashioned Conservative, who believes in the value of history, culture and tradtion.

If something has existed for a long time there is probably a good reason for it and in cultural terms you can't invent a culture it's just not possible!
    Are you really claiming that the US didn't inherit British culture, just like Britain inherited Roman culture and Rome inherited Greek culture? Did the Americans in 1776 act like savages?

And America is divided? In which country is the ruling party unable to get 40% of the national vote? And in which country are over 10% of the population eternally threatening to secede?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    And America is divided? In which country is the ruling party unable to get 40% of the national vote? And in which country are over 10% of the population eternally threatening to secede?
    Israel.

ReputationRep:
    Why have you logged out after reading my response to your post Bizzy? Why not just reply? Why do I always have this delay? It suggests a lack of confidence and political awareness about the issues.

In your case, where it has always been about Jews or Israel, it suggests a conscious consideration of Jewish/Israeli interests and a determination to make the very best argument in their favour, even if it means going away for a while to study. Why? You're an American aren't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SocialSuicide)
    Thats true, but is it the White Houses fault that the people believed it?

Some mite say yes, its their duty to be honest and truthful. But then, have they considered the possibility that they mite not be honset and truthful?

This is why people should not trust their governments, because power corrupts absolutely. Rumsfeld n Cheney were only padding their own pockets with money, they really dont care about Iraq and its people, or the American people for that matter.

But again, is that the White Houses fault? Its not their fault people today are so gullable and easily led like sheep.
    I will never take a person seriously who uses mite instead of might.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SocialSuicide)
    Thats what you mite have interepted my txt as, but it is not what i said.

What the White House/Bush Admin has done is wrong, whats more, illegal, on many different aspects, some proven (wiretaps), some not (9/11).

But, we the people, have let it happen. Just look at Bush now. He should be imprisoned for misleading the public and congress just for Iraq! Yet the majority of people stay silent, and dont really care about it, thinking that tomorrow is always going to be a sunny day. He should be imprisoned NOW, yet he is not. Whats more, sitting back and doing nothing is only making things worse for EVERYONE, not just us in the USA/UK.

Im sure if every American knew the truth and understood what Bush has done, and the criminality of it, everyone would march to Washington and kick his ass! (before he gets imprisoned....where he should be tortured...ahaha the irony...)

"And I forget
    Just what it takes
    And yet I guess it makes me smile
    I found it hard
    Its hard to find
    Oh well, whatever, nevermind" - Kurt, Nirvana
    And, anyone who thinks that Bush runs the country like a checker game should by sterilized. Learn American politics.

(Quoting an American rock band, produced and released by an American label, popularized by an American television network. Irony?)

ReputationRep:
    I can only read so much of the redundancy. This is a Copy>Paste of other threads. So, I'll say the same thing I said in the other ones:

No one here really cares, because we run ****.

"Reiben, what's the matter with you? I don't gripe to you. I'm a captain. There's a chain of command. Griping goes one way, up, only up, never down. You gripe to me, I gripe to my superior officers. Up, get it?" Tom Hanks, Saving Private Ryan

Very applicable in this situation.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I read this article on the BBC too. It's pretty silly, it's also a pretty boring article so the BBC really must have been stuck for 'news' that day.

I found it quite surprising really. I mean, last time I checked, wasn't the general consensus that the Brits were still up the arses of the Yanks? Normally, aren't we supposed to be all fawning over the Americans and their way of life?

But, yes, I despise generalisation, so for these people to attack this woman just because of her nationality - of course it's ridiculous. But everything is generalised these days. If you are American you are fat; if you are British you drink tea etc etc. Individuals are ceasing to exist and becoming mere microcosmic representations of their countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    Why have you logged out after reading my response to your post Bizzy? Why not just reply? Why do I always have this delay? It suggests a lack of confidence and political awareness about the issues.
    Sometimes people have other things to do, and they realize that they won't be able to give a good reply to something with the amount of time they have. I don't think anyone in an internet forum should be critical of a lack of promptness in others' responses. You can think it's fishy, but you have no right to complain when a stranger doesn't make you top priority. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Are you really claiming that the US didn't inherit British culture, just like Britain inherited Roman culture and Rome inherited Greek culture? Did the Americans in 1776 act like savages?

There is no need to engage in complex argument over this one. Visit America, compare their culture to ours and get back to me. I'm pretty sure you'll miss British institutions and culture.

I'm making a fairly subjective judgement...

It's just little tihngs like when your in a poor state of affairs and a British person instinctively offers a cup of tea! This is what I would miss if I lived in America.

ReputationRep:
    It's just little tihngs like when your in a poor state of affairs and a British person instinctively offers a cup of tea! This is what I would miss if I lived in America.
    I got plenty of tea out there, it just happened to be ice cold, come in a glass jug, and have bits of lemon floating in it.

ReputationRep:
    I detest the american way of life, and the attitude of theur government.

They swagger round the world claiming to be the greatest democracy in the world. Greatest democracy in the world once there is an NHS, a narrowing of the rich-poor divide and a reduction in the ridiculous amount of shootings perhaps they could contest.

And i'm sorry when a country makes so many outrageous statements its gonna attract heavy criticism. No i don't hate Americans (I only explain because so many Americans seem to think the world is against them). I in fact sympathise with the ones who think like me but are stuck powerless to oppose the rednecks, fools and corrupt. I hate the way the country is imposing its will on the rest of the world. Just because capitalism is the way of life in the US dosen't mean the rest of the world is to conform and dosen't mean it is the best to run a country. They have no right to invade a country to impose regime change....(and UK dosen't need to jump on the band wagon either).

Just because somebody disagrees with the american culture we are anti-american...and why can't we just be racist??? Anti-american pfftt...

Maybe this rant will help explain why people are so againnst americans at this time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersonic)
    I detest the american way of life, and the attitude of theur government.

They swagger round the world claiming to be the greatest democracy in the world. Greatest democracy in the world once there is an NHS, a narrowing of the rich-poor divide and a reduction in the ridiculous amount of shootings perhaps they could contest.

And i'm sorry when a country makes so many outrageous statements its gonna attract heavy criticism. No i don't hate Americans (I only explain because so many Americans seem to think the world is against them). I in fact sympathise with the ones who think like me but are stuck powerless to oppose the rednecks, fools and corrupt. I hate the way the country is imposing its will on the rest of the world. Just because capitalism is the way of life in the US dosen't mean the rest of the world is to conform and dosen't mean it is the best to run a country. They have no right to invade a country to impose regime change....(and UK dosen't need to jump on the band wagon either).

Just because somebody disagrees with the american culture we are anti-american...and why can't we just be racist??? Anti-american pfftt...

Maybe this rant will help explain why people are so againnst americans at this time.
    I think your hatred of America is a little extreme for my liking. For instance it shows a distinct failure to appreciate that the world is in the position it is in currently due to American involvement in World War 2 and due to American leadership during the Cold War.

A legitimate political disagreement about the difficult decisions we have been faced with since 9-11 and a hatred of capitalism should not lead you to quite the level of hatred that it seems to be. After all nobody is forcing you to go and live in America.

You should also note that since the end of the Cold War many millions of people have been lifted out of poverty due to American global hegonomy and this trend continues...

ReputationRep:
    That maybe happens in the North. Not with us cold Southerners though, we couldn't care less if you're in a poor state of affairs.

ReputationRep:
    What is so extreme about my opinions. I believe the US shouldn't invade countries, kill innocents and create social hysteria to impose their idealogy on a culture which they seem to neither understond or respect.

I beleive they need to address their own social problems before they preach to the rest of the world how to live.

I believe that capitalism is a flawed system and is designed to create inequality and will always result in a rigid society which opposes any flow between the social classes. However, i don't have a better solution so can't complain too much.

Nothing extreme there...only sense and logic.

ReputationRep:
    They have no right to invade a country to impose regime change....
    I would normally agree, but if that regime has not been chosen by the country's people, if it's been imposed upon them, you have a slightly different situation.

ReputationRep:
    What is so extreme about my opinions. I believe the US shouldn't invade countries, kill innocents and create social hysteria to impose their idealogy on a culture which they seem to neither understond or respect.

I beleive they need to address their own social problems before they preach to the rest of the world how to live.

I believe that capitalism is a flawed system and is designed to create inequality and will always result in a rigid society which opposes any flow between the social classes. However, i don't have a better solution so can't complain too much.

Nothing extreme there...only sense and logic.
    I'm american and I agree with that. America has enough internal problems (no national health service, HIGHLY accelerated levels of gun crime, widespread problems with the education system to name a few) so it would be nice if the money could be spent on that as opposed to nuclear weaponry and invading countries that not even our own president can pronounce.
    I don't agree with this stereotype that all Americans are Southern hicks but it is worrying that George Bush was voted into power again...a monkey would be preferable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    I would normally agree, but if that regime has not been chosen by the country's people, if it's been imposed upon them, you have a slightly different situation.
    But not a situation which warrants a military invasion to resolve, surely.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2008
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.