Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

my sis has got her boyfriend round watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)
    To be honest, your sister sounds like the only normal one in your family.

I mean having your mother telling you to leave the door to your bedroom open so she can peer in when you have guests is ****ed up at any age, never mind 17.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    When is she 18?

ReputationRep:
    She only turned 17 this March.

ReputationRep:
    as long as she's legal.. let her do what she wants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HagerVor)
    as long as she's legal.. let her do what she wants.
    Bit liberal that.

Liberal is bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DPM)
    Bit liberal that.

Liberal is bad.
    liberal is good as long as people realise that an action will always have a consequence. (good or bad )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)
    To be honest, your sister sounds like the only normal one in your family.

I mean having your mother telling you to leave the door to your bedroom open so she can peer in when you have guests is ****ed up at any age, never mind 17.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    Leave her alone for f**ks sake, your not her mother. you're her sister, only older by 3 yrs, and yes you are in charge (even tho at 17 shes perfectly capable of looking after herself), but she hasnt actually done anything but close the door, get a grip!!

she is over 16 and if she wants to fool around then she is legally able to. you may not agree with it but at least shes at home in a secure environment rather than doing it in a bush somewhere, give her a little credit, im sure shes not stupid. she'l probably only do it over at her bf's anyway

Perhaps if you treated her more like an adult then she could perhaps confide in you whenever she feels the need, she's probably scared of telling you anything in case u go ape, tell your parents or disapprove, be supportive, tell her you respect her privacy but would rather shes not up to allsorts.
    Everyone is entitiled to their privacy, especially at such a troublesome age. at least she has a bf and isnt up to allsorts with any tom **** or harry.

ReputationRep:
    if you treated her more like an adult then she could perhaps confide in you whenever she feels the need, she's probably scared of telling you anything in case u go ape, tell your parents or disapprove, be supportive, tell her you respect her privacy but would rather shes not up to allsorts.
    Everyone is entitiled to their privacy, especially at such a troublesome age. at least she has a bf and isnt up to allsorts with any tom **** or harry.

Totally agree!

ReputationRep:
    I understand you probablly are being protective of your sister, and if she usually feels she should be with someone for a good few months before sleeping with them i understand you may well worry if it looks like she may break that.
    But shes only disobeyed a order once, but if she does it again then you should take a stand, but for now calm down if they was doing something they shouldn't im sure you would know

ReputationRep:
    live and let live I say, every 1 has sex, even ur sis. my bro is 19 and im 22 and wouldnt dream of trying to muscle in on what he is or isnt up to when my parents are out., he can do what he wants, and if he does something they wouldnt approve of then so what? no1 has died and they wil never find out anyway
    sounds like the authority has gone to your head, cut her some slack

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louise28k)
    live and let live I say, every 1 has sex, even ur sis. my bro is 19 and im 22 and wouldnt dream of trying to muscle in on what he is or isnt up to when my parents are out., he can do what he wants, and if he does something they wouldnt approve of then so what? no1 has died and they wil never find out anyway
    sounds like the authority has gone to your head, cut her some slack
    I think your going abit over the top and being abit harsh :p:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so. If she breaks the rules when the parents are out, its not the job of big sis to rule with an iron fist and tell tales. If she steps outa line, she can deal with it. If the parents find out (Jonnys in the bedroom, *** stains on the panties etc) then she can face the consequences. I am the oldest out of four and my parents expect me to look after the lil uns loads. But unless they were doing something really stupid, or dangerous, I would never get involved with them. I make them dinner, bribe them with ice cream and let the watch too much TV. I am in charge at that point, not my parents, and as long as there is no fighting, breaking or stealing, most things go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DPM)
    Bit liberal that.

Liberal is bad.
    You're thinking of THE Liberals.

Different thing, but very true.

ReputationRep:
    I am 20 and I have a 17 year old sister (who wants to study medicine like your sister) so quite a similar situation really. I do feel that your parents may be being slightly unreasonable, I can understand them not wanting her to have sex under their roof however surely forcing them to keep the door open is basically not trusting her, has she ever given them any reason not to trust her? what if they want to have a private conversation etc? I am not going to say that you should disobey your parents rules but maybe when you get back you should dit down with your parents and talk to them about maybe changing this rule as your sisters situation is different to how yours was.That is what I would do any way.

ReputationRep:
    Get a ****ing grip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iom_cb)
    Why do you have to be incharge of a 17 year old? How's that work? She is old enough to have a little privacy and freedom.
    I strongly believe that until she hasn't moved out of the house, she has to abide by the rules of the parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DPM)
    Go and join in?
    *cracks up* :rofl: but I completely understand the OP's concern about her sister. Just because she's 17 doesn't mean she's completely mature and able to make rational decisions. People tend to do things on the spur of the moment when they're at that age. In fact, I'M at that age. LOL

(Original post by WokSz)
    I strongly believe that until she hasn't moved out of the house, she has to abide by the rules of the parents
    hear hear!

I've had my ex around a few times and we've gotten into a little serious snogging in my room but we always kept the door open so that my parents (especially my mom) wouldn't start suspecting stuff. We just keep our ears perked for noises and stop when we hear a door nearby close or open...stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Frankly I wouldn't want to be here if they did start going at it, but yes, you are right, given my sis being the way she is that's unlikely to happen.
    It's just that my mum's going to be freaked enough in the first place if she ever finds out they were here together without her being here, and I'd rather not have the added problem of them being alone in a room with the door shut. They're already on a separate floor entirely so they don't really need the door closed.
    As for why I'm looking after her, as it were, I reiterate that I'm not babysitting her or anything, my parents have been out of the country since Friday morning and will not be back until Monday morning. She is a minor and I am expected to be responsible for her over the course of the weekend. If you want some legal weight, I am in addition named in my parents' wills as my sister's legal guardian if anything was to happen to them before she was 18.
    Christ, she's 17, not 7. There's no need to go power hungry and Gestapo on their arses. You can still look after her without checking up all the time. Just because your parents have (overly strict, imo) rules, doesn't mean you need to make sure they're being followed at all costs. Put yourself in your sisters position for a moment and then see if your behaviour is something she'd respect or just find annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MNBStyle)
    I think your going abit over the top and being abit harsh :p:
    I don't. I agree completely.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.