How will religious people explain aliens, if we ever meet any? Watch

Arbolus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I'm aware none of the sacred books of any major religion explicitly states that God created life on no planet other than Earth. If that is the case, then the various religions would explain extraterrestrial life by saying that God felt no need to tell us about it, because we wouldn't be discovering it until thousands of years in the future.
arxtra
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Forget aliens, how do Neanderthals and other Homo species fit into religious narratives, especially Adam & Eve and original sin?
ash92:)
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Telecaster Steak)
Traditionally, yes, most religions have said that the Earth is the center of the universe and that the stars are just lights that God put in the sky etc.

However, religion tends to evolve as science and society progress and so few of them still state this.

I'm sure there are people in the bible belt that still believe such things.
Some religions probably did say "Earth is the centre of the universe", although I have not seen this explicitly myself.

Stars, you must agree, are different in that aliens would mot likely not be able to exist there - as opposed to planets.
Farm_Ecology
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rob da Mop)
Speak to me in 200 years and this will be true.

Wobble effects, or the dimming effects as planets pass in front of the parent stars, do not allow us to see planets anywhere near as small as earth in the goldilocks zone. Please find me a time that we have analysed the atmosphere of a planet less than 4 times the size of earth. I would be interested to hear about it.

You're so close to arguing this point quite well, you just have all the facts wrong!
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ke...xoplanets.html
feenicks89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50271104.../#.UPqxNycWX7I

wrong...larger planets are just easier. besides larger planets can have moons and could still support life.

bottom of that page of link : "but three new planets only a fraction the size of Earth, including one Mars-size body, make up the smallest alien system found to date."

kateswashy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Aliens would be demons who have used scientific knowledge and their ill gotten supernatural power to reveal hidden dimensions to humans.....there are many higher dimensions of life which we currently dont enjoy...but demons know that because adam before the fall used to enjoy such realms of life..... etc....and time wasnt a dimension so adam wasnt bound by time....rmembr eistein proved time is a physical property......its a long story.....refer to chuck missler alien encounters on youtube or God.tv on demand.....
FlyingTeapot
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mycroft Holmes)
How will atheists explain angels, if we ever meet any?
They will try to trap them in jars and test them using scientific means, but since angels are non-physical beings (supposedly) will not be able to do so. This will frustrate them no end.

Also, someone will use the discovery as an excuse to manufacture insane weaponry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (120)
64.86%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
21.08%
Yes but I might change my mind (26)
14.05%

Watched Threads