Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who Pays For Dinner On A Date? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who Pays For The Meal?
    Am A Guy - The Guy Pays For It All
    22.26%
    Am A Guy - The Guy Pays For Half The Meal
    20.80%
    Am A Guy - The Guy Pays For His Share
    11.31%
    Am A Girl - The Guy Pays For It All
    12.77%
    Am A Girl - The Guy Pays For Half The Meal
    12.41%
    Am A Girl - The Guy Pays For His Share
    20.44%

ReputationRep:
    The best way to a girl's heart is through her stomach.

And unfortunately, it looks better for a gent to pay his way there.

ReputationRep:
    Consensus on the forum seems to be:

Guy asks out and is prepared to pay.

At the date, guy offers to pay. Girl offers to pay her share. Guy insists on paying. Girl lets him pay.
    And then in the future, either alternate, or going Dutch.

That said, if I don't see much future to the date, I would much rather pay my own share. If I like the guy and he offers to pay, I will let him pay, because I know I will be able to reciprocate in the future, and I like it that he should want to invest in me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datpiff)
    In the perfect world things would be equal, but they're not. It's the guys Jo are always expected to pay for the first date

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not if guys actually found a backbone and said no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LISSEY)
    If I asked a guy on a date then I'd pay.
    I'm looking forward to to that then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scrum)
    I'm looking forward to to that then
    LOL...What would be you favourite restaurant ?

ReputationRep:
    I usually go and split the bill in half but guys that have jobs and are older tend to pay instead because I'm still a student. I do feel a bit guilty though!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't expect the guy to stump up for everything, I'd expect us both to pay for our shares. Unless it was his birthday, then I'd pay for both of us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzykinks)
    I usually go and split the bill in half but guys that have jobs and are older tend to pay instead because I'm still a student. I do feel a bit guilty though!
    Thats a very fair comment. Some of the decision has to be based on who can afford it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scrum)
    Thats a very fair comment. Some of the decision has to be based on who can afford it.
    I totally agree.

ReputationRep:
    If you want the skins, you gotta pay for dins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Hey Guys;

Well, I know this may sound odd, but you know how now it is all about equality and stuff, I want to get your views on dates and who pays for the dinner/meal. =P

Do you pay for your share, split it 50/50 or does the guy pay for it all?

Sometimes you just feel like giving the person you like a treat, and sometimes is your other half the one who wants to treat you... it's a matter of balance.

EDIT

as some people say, it also depends on who can afford it and who doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    Outside of a relationship/friendship - I pay for my own food. I don't expect or even let guys buy me food because a) it isn't fair, why shouldn't I pay for myself, b) I don't want to be indebted - I have had some encounters where I am definitely glad I never let that guy buy me anything.

Within a friendship context, sometimes friends of mine (both male and female) have bought me something (usually just a drink) and I don't mind that's just a casual thing, you buy them the next one, or it's in exchange for a favour like giving a lift etc.

Within my relationship - sometimes I pay, sometimes bf pays, sometimes we share. I'm generally paying more at the moment cause he's pretty broke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michaelj)
    Surely it should be the other way round? You don't want any of the negativities of the old society but you'll happily keep the positive ones.
    I'm not sure I quite get your point. I was being sarcastic because some guy made a typical badly thought out comment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    well i would offer to pay for half of everything. if he offers to pay for it all, its fine by me. but i would always offer to pay for half.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend and I alternate, depending on who has the most money at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzykinks)
    Oh I'm sure you do.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt feel comfortable with a girl who I asked out paying for anything , but that being said I do hold quite old fashioned "sexist" views , i'm not going to lie .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willbean)
    Oh I'm sure you do.
    Oh I do. My ex was always a student and I always forced him to split the bill with him. Now I'm seeing a bloke who's minted and he pays but I always try to get him to let me pay for something, even just a couple of rounds.

ReputationRep:
    Im a girl and I end up paying for guys?

Think the poll was a bit sexist tbh!

I just get sooo awkward, that sometimes i end up just paying it all lol, but ALWAYS at least go halves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkangelgirl)
    Im a girl and I end up paying for guys?

Think the poll was a bit sexist tbh!

I just get sooo awkward, that sometimes i end up just paying it all lol, but ALWAYS at least go halves
    I think you are like the one person out of 200 people to find it sexist. :rolleyes:
    Sorry if I offended you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.