The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine (A100) Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Does anyone know if it easier to get into Lancaster or Liverpool, they have practically the same entry requirements, i am confused, do not know which one to apply to!

Thanks
Original post by Brightbud
Does anyone know if it easier to get into Lancaster or Liverpool, they have practically the same entry requirements, i am confused, do not know which one to apply to!

Thanks

from my experience, if you can get into one, you can get into the other. but there is far fewer places at lancaster so maybe a bit more competitive
Reply 82
Does anyone know a gap year applicant who got into liverpool with less than 15 points at GCSE?
Original post by absaa
Do liverpool accept modular resits within 2 years of a level??

Yeah they do
Reply 84
I have just been off the phone to lancaster, i think they have the same admissions policy as Liverpool... and they said people with 12-14 points are considered if they have achieved A levels!!

For people who are in the same position as me!
Reply 85
In desperate need of some advice; I love the course, the uni and the city and would love to apply. However having interview last year and been rejected, i honestly dont know if its a waste of my time. Does anyone know if this would taint my application this year, as my rejection was post interview
Reply 86
Original post by TopDoc
In desperate need of some advice; I love the course, the uni and the city and would love to apply. However having interview last year and been rejected, i honestly dont know if its a waste of my time. Does anyone know if this would taint my application this year, as my rejection was post interview

I think that every application is a gamble - it's not easy to get into a medical school. Liverpool accept reapplicants and as far as I'm aware, they don't distinguish between post and pre-interview rejection. They have a section on reapplications here - where it says:

The applicant will be expected to demonstrate that additional evidence of potential has been gained in the intervening period. It is therefore expected that any individual in this situation will not submit an identical personal statement to that submitted previously.

If anything you're in a stronger position than others, as you have an idea of what to expect, and you have the grades. Make good use of this year to further build on your application - and possibly have more to discuss if you're interviewed.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 87
I was rejected post-interview last year. The work experience i.e shadowing are the same from last year and so my question is whether the tutors will expect new experience done in that period after interview rejection?. I have done one more volunteering from before and the extra-curriculars are unchanged.
Reply 88
Original post by Maxxie
I think that every application is a gamble - it's not easy to get into a medical school. Liverpool accept reapplicants and as far as I'm aware, they don't distinguish between post and pre-interview rejection. They have a section on reapplications here - where it says:

If anything you're in a stronger position than others, as you have an idea of what to expect, and you have the grades. Make good use of this year to further build on your application - and possibly have more to discuss if you're interviewed.

Good luck :smile:

Thanks for the quick reply! This was very helpful and i think i will reapply to liverpool considering how much i love the uni! :smile: Thanks again, and good luck with any applications :')
Reply 89
Original post by abu125
I was rejected post-interview last year. The work experience i.e shadowing are the same from last year and so my question is whether the tutors will expect new experience done in that period after interview rejection?. I have done one more volunteering from before and the extra-curriculars are unchanged.

It doesn't matter if your work experience is the same. However, ideally you would have built on your previous application which you sort of have with the additional volunteering. Incorporate that into you personal statement, along with anything relevant which you're planning on doing during your gap year. As my quote in the above post says, they don't want you to have exactly the same personal statement as last time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 90
Anyone know where I can get 2013 interview questions from?
Original post by Omar Raza
Hey guys ...
So even though i got a good UKCAT (760) i am considering Liverpool.
But at the last moment i am stuck between liverpool and Sheffield.
Why Should i choose Liverpool ?

1. How good is the PBL course (what support do you get and how many people per group) ?
2. What is the teaching of anatomy like, dissection how often?
3. How is the course structured i mean --- are pbl sessions supported by lectures ? and tutorials ?
4. How many lectures a week ?

Thanks for your help :smile:

Hey, I'm in my first year at Liverpool. PBL is amazing in my opinion, instead of being talked at constantly through lectures the style of learning is a lot more active. We get a lot of support, there's 8 in a group and a facilitator (tutor type person) who keeps you on track.
For anatomy teaching we have HARC sessions where we do prosections, so we don't get full cadavers which is good because you just concentrate of the area you're studying. These sessions are 2 hours every other week but you can go up any time and work independently.
We have 7 lectures a week, as well as clinical skills classes and communication skills classes. Liverpool are really big on good communication. So you're not completely left to do everything yourself, there's a lot of support and you spend a lot of time working with other students which is always fun.
I hope that was helpful (: even though I'm probably a bit biased because I think Liverpool is fab.
Does anyone know when Liverpool start giving out interviews? :smile:
Hi guys, really stuck on a 4th option : What are my chances here?
UKCAT Average: 665
Wasn't really expecting above 650 if i'm honest, with the lack of preparation (also has some issues at home).
Achieved a levels grades: AAA in Bio, Chem, Maths and A in AS Economics, B in AS Critical Thinking. (C in EPQ)
GCSE's: 5A*'s, 3A's, 1B.

Other: 1 week GP Surgery, 2 weeks hospital placement, was coaching rep, Student Health Ambassador at & Head of Events on the Student Executive board in college, worked in retail store part time, currently a volunteer as West Midlands Fire Station, I plan on working for most my Gap year. Also attended a Medicine career event at Keele Uni in year 12. Also just secured volunteering at a local surgery (No idea what i'll be doing, she just said to pop in on Monday to start - But every little helps!)

I've already achieved my A level grades, with AAA so does that balance me on the academic criteria for the points (GCSE's sum up to 22) ? Also i haven't actually got any volunteering at a care home/hospice, in a "caring" environment (Not for lack of trying I tell you!) confused :confused::confused:

Many Thanks in advance!
I've applied to Liverpool! Absolutely love the city, the only downside is that it's very close to where I live (45 mins on the train) and I'd like to live a little bit further away
Reply 95
Original post by sandrabondaruk
I've applied to Liverpool! Absolutely love the city, the only downside is that it's very close to where I live (45 mins on the train) and I'd like to live a little bit further away

On the upside though, it's not too far from those all important home comforts :smile:

Original post by aspiring doctor!
Does anyone know when Liverpool start giving out interviews? :smile:

November

Original post by xXxAthenaxXx
x

If you haven't applied already, academically you're fine. And I think your student health ambassador thing (and your new volunteering job) make the 'caring contribution to the community' aspect - depending on how you've presented it on your personal statement. It really comes down to how you compare with all the rest of the applicants, which we can't predict.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 96
Does anyone know when interviews start???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cbithas
Does anyone know when interviews start???

Posted from TSR Mobile

last year they started on the 11th november so probably around the same time this year
Reply 98
Hi there how's everyone doing .

Was wandering whether people have received a receipt of application email. I'm yet to recieve an acknowledgment from Liverpool yet I have from other unis

Thanks
Reply 99
Original post by mutlibd1
Hi there how's everyone doing .

Was wandering whether people have received a receipt of application email. I'm yet to recieve an acknowledgment from Liverpool yet I have from other unis

Thanks

Yeah I have a couple of days ago

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending