Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would you do if your children are homosexual Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myusername.)
    Why would you pray to help someone who is homosexual? Homosexual people don't need help, it's not an illness. There is nothing wrong with being homosexual.
    But is mutual exclusive in islam. i am not disown my children i will fighting to reconcile. but if healing they are not doing i must compromise to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    If I am honest - and I don't believe this is homophobic - I would be quietly disappointed. Not in my child, obviously, just in general. I like the idea of parenting a child that I know I can fully relate to and that we'd have very similar interests. I look forward to chatting to my son about girl problems or to my daughter about being cautious! I think I'm just set on a 'traditional'/'normal' family and I would be concerned that we wouldn't be as close as I'd hope.
    I think it would be more worrying if all you bonded with your children over was their romantic lives, especially early on. Nothing stops it from being like that anyway, if you're able to have a conversation with both boys and girls about both girls and boys, the combination shouldn't really matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheldor)
    I think it would be more worrying if all you bonded with your children over was their romantic lives, especially early on.
    I guess it's lucky I didn't say that then.

ReputationRep:
    If I am honest - and I don't believe this is homophobic - I would be quietly disappointed. Not in my child, obviously, just in general. I like the idea of parenting a child that I know I can fully relate to and that we'd have very similar interests. I look forward to chatting to my son about girl problems or to my daughter about being cautious! I think I'm just set on a 'traditional'/'normal' family and I would be concerned that we wouldn't be as close as I'd hope.
    You do realise you could have exactly the same interests bar the women front - but there is a good chance you could still talk about 'fit birds' anyways as it's not as though because we are gay we can't see if a girl is bangin' or not. You can still talk about problems - such as struggling to get a boyfriend/girlfriend - if the advice you give is good, it wouldn't matter if they were gay or not. Plus you could give the cautious talk to either of them as it seems almost everyone is riddled with something nowadays. You would only not be as close if you made them not feel comfortable with you - or for some reason they don't quite like you.

ReputationRep:
    Love them just the same anyway. If it was my only child I'd be a bit sad at potentially not having grandchildren but would never show it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluffroom)
    You do realise you could have exactly the same interests bar the women front - but there is a good chance you could still talk about 'fit birds' anyways as it's not as though because we are gay we can't see if a girl is bangin' or not. You can still talk about problems - such as struggling to get a boyfriend/girlfriend - if the advice you give is good, it wouldn't matter if they were gay or not. Plus you could give the cautious talk to either of them as it seems almost everyone is riddled with something nowadays. You would only not be as close if you made them not feel comfortable with you - or for some reason they don't quite like you.
    I don't think it would be the same. Still, there are many other reasons I would prefer my children to be heterosexual; as I'm sure the majority of people do.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it would be the same. Still, there are many other reasons I would prefer my children to be heterosexual; as I'm sure the majority of people do.
    Each to their own.

Such as?

ReputationRep:
    Each to their own.

Such as?
    It's just easier being heterosexual. My friend has had a pretty tough time being gay (e.g. coming out; lost some friends/insults started flying about) and I think it's a much easier life to be straight. If I could choose, I would choose them to be heterosexual because people naturally want to fit in and be 'normal'. There are also selfish reasons, e.g. grandchildren, easier for me, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I could accept it tbh. It's best they stay in the closet around me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm bisexual myself, so there's only really one way I can react!

I mean, can you imagine me getting all het up and going "Your mommies are very disappointed in you?"

ReputationRep:
    I think the worrying thing is that, sexuality aside, you seem to expect your children to have very similar interests to you. Few children are carbon copies of their parents and it is quite possible you might produce a child- straight or gay- who is completely different to you in terms of their personality. Sexuality might then be pretty much insignificant.

ReputationRep:
    I would support them all the way. It's not my business to try to "convert" them anyway. Laissez-faire.

ReputationRep:
    It's just easier being heterosexual. My friend has had a pretty tough time being gay (e.g. coming out; lost some friends/insults started flying about) and I think it's a much easier life to be straight. If I could choose, I would choose them to be heterosexual because people naturally want to fit in and be 'normal'. There are also selfish reasons, e.g. grandchildren, easier for me, etc.
    To be quite honest, I get that it is easier being straight - because people don't give you crap for being gay, but it's school and when you're at uni/an adult you can live you life how you want with the people you want and it will be better. The people who give the insults are idiotic.

You can fit in and be gay - I do for certain - although I am a bit of a tit. You can still have grandchildren - even biological. What is normal? If it's being the same as everybody else - why? Difference is good.

Plus with the breakthrough which allows both partners to be biological parents it's a lot better than it used to be.

I get that it's your opinion but being gay doesn't make you some form of freak - the only difference is the sexual side (which you aren't affected by) and the inability to marry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by standreams)
    I think the worrying thing is that, sexuality aside, you seem to expect your children to have very similar interests to you. Few children are carbon copies of their parents and it is quite possible you might produce a child- straight or gay- who is completely different to you in terms of their personality. Sexuality might then be pretty much insignificant.
    What gave you the impression I expect a 'carbon copy? I think people need to try reading what I wrote, not reading what they want to see in order to make an irrelevant argument.

To humour you - I expect most children will have somewhat similar interests to their parents, partly because of genes, e.g. sporting ability, musical talent, etc.

ReputationRep:
    The same thing id do if they were straight

ReputationRep:
    hope that they encounter as little homophobia as possible and probably worry about them more because of this.

ReputationRep:
    To be quite honest, I get that it is easier being straight - because people don't give you crap for being gay, but it's school and when you're at uni/an adult you can live you life how you want with the people you want and it will be better. The people who give the insults are idiotic.

You can fit in and be gay - I do for certain - although I am a bit of a tit. You can still have grandchildren - even biological. What is normal? If it's being the same as everybody else - why? Difference is good.

Plus with the breakthrough which allows both partners to be biological parents it's a lot better than it used to be.

I get that it's your opinion but being gay doesn't make you some form of freak - the only difference is the sexual side (which you aren't affected by) and the inability to marry.
    Of course, but it's easier. True, but being the same is also good. There are many ways to express individuality/difference. If I had the choice right now of a heterosexual or homosexual son, I would choose the former. I also believe most people would.

ReputationRep:
    I would say "Good for you" and return to my reading. I see it as a non-issue. If they were being prejudiced against I would do something, but otherwise, I wouldn't much care. Nobody's business but the hypothetical child's and anyone they would want to be involved with.

ReputationRep:
    Of course, but it's easier. True, but being the same is also good. There are many ways to express individuality/difference. If I had the choice right now of a heterosexual or homosexual son, I would choose the former. I also believe most people would.
    Each to their own really. I would probably rather have a gay son, but you know - preference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    I would beat the gay out of that child!!:fuhrer:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And they would beat a poop out of you :gfight:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.