Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm 18 years old girl from Uppsala. Do you like Swedish people ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Every time I read this I cringe:

Sweden does not have oil and gas like Norway

Norway uses all of its oil money for a fund. And only the interest from that fund is put into the state. Norway has a 10%-20% budget surplus.

It is a myth that Scandinavian countries do so well because of resources. Fact of the matter is, their model and their organisation is just better.
    I was just about to write a similar reply. Exactly danny111!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hostile*****)
    Haha cool I've been to Gdansk so many times and experienced Sopot nightlife as well. I'm going to study in London or in Scotland I still don't know which university to firm that's why I joined TSR.

Sorry if my English is not perfect okay ?
    Which London universities? There is limited amount of Scandinavians @ LSE but I'll provide you with a good company if you enjoyed Sopot

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to study in the UK from this September and I'm worried whether people will like me as I don't know anyone.

Apparently the British associate us with two remarkable events that happened recently:

and the football match

What do you think about us ? :confused:
    heeeej pa dig

ReputationRep:
    Are all Swedish females heavenly blessed beauties?

Thats all I think of when I think of Sweden

ReputationRep:
    Wow, introduction threads never usually get this much attention. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Type 052D)
    My opinions on Sweden is very bad. Too many Neo-Nazis and under-cover racist. Overrated over their living standards and hostile to people from different, non-Germanic culture.
    it's one of the most tolerant countries, 20% of its population are immigrants - many from the Middle East and Africa, so I doubt Sweden would be more xenophobic than other places.

ReputationRep:
    No, they have specialized Industrial cologomate like Volvo and SAAB. But Natural resource can equate to Timber, which Finland and Sweden have..
    True. And they have made best use of it by building many wooden houses.

But people usually say "ah Scandinavia has oil". It's an automatic assumption for so many people and they think that is the sole reason their states are doing well. That is simply not true.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to study in the UK from this September and I'm worried whether people will like me as I don't know anyone.

Oh and how could I forget, I have one name for you, Magdalena Forsberg. What an athlete!
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    That video was awful. I felt sorry for all involved.

ReputationRep:
    Yes Nordic countries are indeed less populous and rich in resources but Denmark. Consider the Danish situation where they have relatively little natural resources? Where is their wealth coming from? Isn't that basically egalitarian profit sharing?

I don't know, I'm not an economist at all ^.^ You're clearly one of those conservative people which I despise
    In Danmark you can receive the equivalent of €1500/month if you are unemployed (though presumably you need to be a Danish citizen). The shipping industry (think Maersk Moller) and pharmaceuticals industry (think Novo Nordisk) make a significant contribution to Danish GDP.

In Sverige although personal taxes are v. high, business taxes aren't (approx 23%, which is not all that different from Anglo-Saxon nations). If Denmark cannot grab as large a share of these industries as in the past then maintaining its welfare state is going to be a problem.

If Danmark becomes increasingly uncompetitive with regards to labour costs then the situation can only be sustained by more punitive corporation taxes. In practice it is difficult to do these things unless you have a big competitive advantage when it comes to a certain industry/technology (e.g. high-end automobile manufacturing in Tyskland) - as has been the case in Spain, Italy, Greece etc.

ReputationRep:
    @effofex However, China contributes alot to the global economy (I mean look at the currency manipulation accusation) than sweden will in an million years. It's an highly industrialized and advance economy, but It has not matured to the point where it can have it's currency (Yen) used an the global currency like the US. Don't forget that China has over 2 Trillion dollars in it's reserves.
    Yuan (Renminbi), rather than Yen

Quite a few European financial hubs are currently vying to be the primary offshore Yuan/Renminbi trading centres once the Chinese currency becomes more internationalized.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Every time I read this I cringe:

Sweden does not have oil and gas like Norway

Norway uses all of its oil money for a fund. And only the interest from that fund is put into the state. Norway has a 10%-20% budget surplus.

It is a myth that Scandinavian countries do so well because of resources. Fact of the matter is, their model and their organisation is just better.
    It has lots of timber. And quite a few fishies too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    Oh wow, it's rich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolstorybrother)
    Just interested but what was it about Scandinavia that appealed to you so much that you would consider moving there when you're older?

....(Why have I got a feeling it's something to do with the women over there )
    It's not trust me

No I just think I like the more liberal society, better quality of life, better healthcare and education services etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    Minted.

ReputationRep:
    Uppsala makes me think of Lisbeth Salander haha.

ReputationRep:

Apparently the British associate us with two remarkable events that happened recently:

and the football match

Sweden is actually one of the few countries to which I cannot trace my ancestry, but I am 1/16 Danish.

I think Sweden is beautiful and Swedish men are okay as well. Girls are really pretty there.

This video is excellent I'm so depressed that I think I'll do the same soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baines3)
    I don't know anyone who associates the Swede's with that. To me, you all look like this:

dude, why show me these pictures at innapropriate times? u know i am a sensitive guy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    dude, why show me these pictures at innapropriate times? u know i am a sensitive guy...
    What do you mean - "inappropriate times"? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    dunno if I like swedish men but Swedish women are so sexy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.