Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Get Rid of Monarchy Watch

• View Poll Results: Should we get rid of the monarchy?
    Yes
    41.07%
    No
    58.93%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackJack)
    Yes, let's be a boring republic like France and damage the rest of British heritage we actually have. This argument about whether Queen costs or doesn't cost money is absolute nonsense; we'd just have a President who would cost the exact same.
    Isn't the monarxh 100 times more expensive than the irish president?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phantasmagorical)

They're profitable and of cultural significance.
    You do realise there is a rebuttal to this video.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)
    It's pretty hard to have a rational debate with this kind of tosh.
    But you're having a rational debate? It's just that every argument you put forward is getting destroyed, reaulting in you clutching to straws.

SorryNotSorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foghorn Leghorn)
    Isn't the monarxh 100 times more expensive than the irish president?
    No. The Irish President costs £3 million a year.
    The Monarchy essentially costs nothing, since with the Sovereign Grant Act it receives a 15% cut of the profits of the Crown Estate. Before that the Civil List was £8 million a year.

ReputationRep:
    yes, get rid of em fast please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Methinks the proud Scots and Irishmen and Welshmen aren't too pleased looking at your Queenie? :pierre:
    Methinks you don't know much about the United Kingdom.

Polls in every part of the UK suggest majority support for the monarchy. Describing the Queen as merely the Queen of England as you imply also smells of a very poor education. Go look up the union of the crowns and the history of Scottish Kings and Queens ruling over England and vice versa.. then come back to me with your findings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foghorn Leghorn)
    You do realise there is a rebuttal to this video.

Which is also highly suspect. They never explain what 'lost yield through inflexibility' is, and I highly suspect it's a made up number just to make the situation look worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    But I thought people only came to Britain to get a chance at seeing God-I mean, Charles?
    You're deliberately misrepresenting the argument. 'Some' people do that, but nobody is arguing 'all'.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to call hosting a banquet part of my day job and be praised for it. Better yet, the taxpayer covers the bill, so bottoms up.
    If you argue this, then you argue that every ceremonial Head of State in the world (such as those of Germany or Italy) are also on some kind of swindle. Do you argue this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    If you argue this, then you argue that every ceremonial Head of State in the world (such as those of Germany or Italy) are also on some kind of swindle. Do you argue this?
    To be honest, I fail to see the point in ceremonial heads of state in general. The job is extremely easy and leads to guaranteed popularity unless you're filthy corrupt, like Germany's last president.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJ_Moose)
    Methinks you don't know much about the United Kingdom.

Polls in every part of the UK suggest majority support for the monarchy. Describing the Queen as merely the Queen of England as you imply also smells of a very poor education. Go look up the union of the crowns and the history of Scottish Kings and Queens ruling over England and vice versa.. then come back to me with your findings
    Republicanism has generally remained at a steady 20%. Monarchism is actually at a similar level with the majority ambivalent. Bear in mind that republicanism gets no coverage in education, and very little in the media. From day 1 all we are told is that monarchy and castles are all lovely because they're British.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I fail to see the point in ceremonial heads of state in general. The job is extremely easy and leads to guaranteed popularity unless you're filthy corrupt, like Germany's last president.
    Easy? Hardly. The Queen goes to an enormous number of events and engagements, talks to an enormous amount of people, is expected to be informed and talkative about a wide range of subjects, walk everywhere, participate in leading charities, meet and host ambassadors, foreign dignitaries and the like, make appointments, meet with ministers, offer advice on policy problems, take part in ceremonials and constantly read up on state papers.

Most people would find that exhausting. Considering how most celebrities do a fraction of that, and tend to end up ruined with drink and drugs, I think it's a fair marker of the burden of the office.

You simply saying it must be 'easy' reveals you to be a very ignorant person.

ReputationRep:
    Republicanism has generally remained at a steady 20%. Monarchism is actually at a similar level with the majority ambivalent. Bear in mind that republicanism gets no coverage in education, and very little in the media. From day 1 all we are told is that monarchy and castles are all lovely because they're British.
    It gets tons of exposure in the media and the monarchy in general is barely discussed in school. Don't make excuses for your own failures.

ReputationRep:
    It gets tons of exposure in the media and the monarchy in general is barely discussed in school. Don't make excuses for your own failures.
    I suppose I'm just fabricating my own education then. Republicanism is given positive coverage in the Guardian and that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    Easy? Hardly. The Queen goes to an enormous number of events and engagements, talks to an enormous amount of people, is expected to be informed and talkative about a wide range of subjects, walk everywhere, participate in leading charities, meet and host ambassadors, foreign dignitaries and the like, make appointments, meet with ministers, offer advice on policy problems, take part in ceremonials and constantly read up on state papers.

Most people would find that exhausting. Considering how most celebrities do a fraction of that, and tend to end up ruined with drink and drugs, I think it's a fair marker of the burden of the office.

You simply saying it must be 'easy' reveals you to be a very ignorant person.
    None of it is at all difficult and were your average coal miner offered the job he'd snap your hands off. Shaking hands, fine dining, and smiles for the cameras-real 9 to 5 graft there.

ReputationRep:
    None of it is at all difficult and were your average coal miner offered the job he'd snap your hands off. Shaking hands, fine dining, and smiles for the cameras-real 9 to 5 graft there.

Oh, and 'she has to walk everywhere'? What total nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose I'm just fabricating my own education then. Republicanism is given positive coverage in the Guardian and that's about it.
    Funny, I thought it was an openly republican newspaper. It certainly delights in routinely posting republican articles. I think you have a selective memory.

ReputationRep:
    Are you saying, then, that any job that is office-based is also completely easy? Or are coal miners the only legitimate ones in your eyes?

Actually, how old are you? I bet you're 16, and haven't done a days work in your life.

ReputationRep:
    That's not an answer. The concept of monarchy is as modern and as relevant as people choose to appreciate it. If you disagree, please cite me the arbitrary calendar that assigns imaginary sell-by-dates to institutions.

It's about as valid an argument as 'everyone else is a republic, so we should be one too!'

Who says you're stigmatised? It's no different from anybody who declines to mark the 4th of July in the US. If you don't want to join in, nobody is forcing you.

Why? The parliamentary system is the most successful political system in the world. It's more stable than the presidential system.

There are currently 45 monarchies. According to Wikipedia 7 are absolute, the rest are ceremonial/constitutional.

I can name tons upon tons of dictatorial republics, however.

Are you arguing that a president would not have an official residence, no security detail, and no servants and staff?
    No,he wouldn't be millionaire and all his relatives wouldn't be millionaires with our taxes.He wouldn't be there just because he's the son of the queen.

ReputationRep:
    Are you saying, then, that any job that is office-based is also completely easy? Or are coal miners the only legitimate ones in your eyes?

Actually, how old are you? I bet you're 16, and haven't done a days work in your life.
    Office based work is different to hand shaking and banquet hosting I'm sure you'll agree.

As for that ludicrous latter remark, I'm 22 and a final year student. I've worked a full year in industry as part of my degree and have also walked 520 miles for charity off my own back-so don't even think of calling me an ignorant lazy scrounger.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.