Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    But why is Ryuk's voice so epic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarahftw_)
    But why is Ryuk's voice so epic?
    He is a shinigami

ReputationRep:
    I want to learn Chinese, they're similar right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemiMarcelle)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Character wise yes, but that's it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemiMarcelle)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Spoken they are VERY different.
    Chinese is tonal, meaning the way you tone in which you pronounce each word greatly affects the meaning. It's probably the hardest thing about speaking Chinese in my opinion, once you get your head around the grammar it's not so bad.
    Japanese isn't tonal. Japan also has 3 different "alphabets" including Kanji which comes from Chinese. Some characters overlap in meaning.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, true

and all of the numbers of course!
    Yeah, I continually use Japanese numbers by mistake in my Mandarin class. I knew Japanese numbers before I started learning chinese from watching Bleach, with the numbers on the Captain's haori's

ReputationRep:
    yeah that would be fa kin supa

ReputationRep:
    Tried learning it with rosetta stone, but didn't get very( big waste of money). Now I am starting from scratch with some self learning text books. Hopefully I will succeed this time.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh cool, but Goku's voice hurts my ears :'(
    Dbz got the voice cast perfectly man. I wish they'd dub the new movie

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the A-level now, super super difficult (my most difficult subject by miles) but probably one of the most interesting and enjoyable!

ReputationRep:
    yes, would be cool to watch anime in raw...

ReputationRep:
    Ahh cool, but Goku's voice hurts my ears :'(
    in the dub or the sub?

i think the dub is spot on, the sub sounds damn weird... then again, i assume thats from an english speakers perspective... japanese person would probably think the raw vids are better than english dub

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I also want to visit Japan at some point too

ReputationRep:
    Goku sounds like a trapped girl in the sub

ReputationRep:
    Me! Have been attending Japanese lectures since I started college, though with so much going on exams wise and study wise, I haven't had much time to go over it, so I plan to do a lot of Japanese studying over the summer!

ReputationRep:
    Nice to see more than only I am interested in japanese .
    However most people want to learn it but put no effort it so guys hard work pays off.
    I started japenese after I finished learning Pashto (I was born into and it was my mother tongue) and I did it for 2 months or so, then I watched high quantities of animes and read lots of Visual novels with voices ( cant really call it subbed but if you know what a VN is then you should get it) and I am doing pretty well, I stopped for a while but am carrying on, I can speak quite fluently with what I know, but know I just need to expand my grammar.

I cannot read or write at all but that will come after I master speaking in it first .
    but I am still confused does "Hirogohan o tabimuska" or " Hirogohan ga tabimsuka" right? ignore the spelling I don't even know romanj, the main the that put me down in all my learning is the particles, but I did achieve a lot and can understand a huge amount more than before .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    in the dub or the sub?

i think the dub is spot on, the sub sounds damn weird... then again, i assume thats from an english speakers perspective... japanese person would probably think the raw vids are better than english dub
    Subbed/raw of course

Yeah probably, but I find other anime better subbed than their dubbed versions

DmC is also pretty good too

ReputationRep:
    Subbed/raw of course

Yeah probably, but I find other anime better subbed than their dubbed versions

DmC is also pretty good too
    personally, for most of my anime, i prefer the dub, an advantage of (good) dub being that it also means i dont have to concentrate on subtitles and actually look at the anime haha

if my memory is correct, FMA/cowboy bebop should be a decent example... granted not all dub is done properly, but wager most are better now than in the past

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xmarksthesh0t)
    but I am still confused does "Hirogohan o tabimuska" or " Hirogohan ga tabimsuka" right? ignore the spelling I don't even know romanj, the main the that put me down in all my learning is the particles, but I did achieve a lot and can understand a huge amount more than before .
    It's hiru gohan ga tabemasu ka

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplerainn)
    Goku sounds like a trapped girl in the sub
    Yeah, he is actually, his voice actor is a woman :hmmmm2:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.