Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who is your favourite British politician and why? Watch

ReputationRep:

Underated/10

In all honesty, probably David Lloyd George. Gladstone and Disraeli are also contenders; however their flaws are what make them decidedly below DLG.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orthrus)
    Charles Grey - PM who brought through the reform of 1832 (I think that's the right year, i'm no historian) and the abolition of slavery in the empire sometime after.

...Best known as 'That guy who Earl Grey tea is named after'
    Slavary was abolished in 1807, I believe; not sure if the Empire was subject to different rules to Great Britain, though.
    Edit: Nvm, just read that it was completely abolished in 1833; only trade was abolished in 1807.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertH96)
    Enoch Powell.
    Predicted What is happening with immigration right now.

He was right on a many more things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXi6TMG8hTE

He'll always be tainted with his rivers of blood speech, but by god, what a politician.

I especially like the fact that up until the day he died, he maintains his greatest achievement was being promoted from Private to Lance Cpl in WW2. This from the youngest Brigadier, and one of only two who went from Private to Brigadier in such a short time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ornlu)
    Slavary was abolished in 1807, I believe; not sure if the Empire was subject to different rules to Great Britain, though.
    Edit: Nvm, just read that it was completely abolished in 1833; only trade was abolished in 1807.
    It's all good, Tbh you've just taught me that trade was abolished even earlier!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orthrus)
    It's all good, Tbh you've just taught me that trade was abolished even earlier!
    And yet we still get the blame for it even though we stopped it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Clement Attlee. And I do not like Labour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    And yet we still get the blame for it even though we stopped it.
    I guess that's the price for being the remnant of the largest and dominant empire of it's time :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    TYRA BANKS

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The guy that used to be my MP, Labour's David Cairns. Done a lot for my area and he made a remarkable stand on parliament. He was either the first Catholic or gay person in Parliament.

ReputationRep:
    I am sceptical about supporting Farage as he may have some nasty tricks up his sleeve. Clegg is weak, Miliband is incompetent and Cameron is sneaky. Farage is the least worst.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xbethany)
    Tony Benn
    Have you read how he pretty much created a civil war in the Labour party in the 1980s?

(Original post by RobertH96)
    Enoch Powell.
    Predicted What is happening with immigration right now.
    A Thatcherite before Mrs. Thatcher.

ReputationRep:
    Margaret Thatcher (For renewing Britain away from the soon to be failing industrial system, amdittedly done somewhat harshly but to be honest look at China, we would've been far worse off had she not done what she did)
    David Cameron (For bringing a newer face to Conservatism that is giving a new future)

William Hague & Theresa May for being excellent speakers too

(Eric Pickles and Jeremy Hunt were pretty crap at CPC spring forum)

ReputationRep:
    Why neg me when you could just tell me why you disagree, would make a far more interesting discussion..

Unless you're just too duuhhh to make a valid argument (aka a Labourite ) in which case fair enough..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dpdr)
    Clement Attlee. And I do not like Labour.
    Attlee gets no where near enough credit.

(Original post by marinaim)
    Margaret Thatcher (For renewing Britain away from the soon to be failing industrial system, amdittedly done somewhat harshly but to be honest look at China, we would've been far worse off had she not done what she did)
    David Cameron (For bringing a newer face to Conservatism that is giving a new future)

William Hague & Theresa May for being excellent speakers too

(Eric Pickles and Jeremy Hunt were pretty crap at CPC spring forum)

This is satire right? Thatcher destroyed industry, Cameron is finished, Hague isn't even competent enough to wait for evidence before he makes decisions on foreign policy, and May wants us to withdraw from the European Convention on Human Rights.

ReputationRep:
    Bit of an unconventional choice, but I have to go with Chris Patten. As Governor of Hong Kong, he was able to tread a path that allowed for the peaceful and orderly transfer of sovereignty to China whilst steadfastly sticking to his principles and enshrining democratic political rights for all Hong Kong people despite being viciously attacked from all sides, in both HK, China and Britain.

ReputationRep:
    George Galloway. He's great at speaking and I like his arguments and views on several matters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by inayah)
    George Galloway. He's great at speaking and I like his arguments and views on several matters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He's great at speaking, until you tell him that you once met someone who's friend went on holiday to Israel. At which point he goes into teenage-strop mode and refuses to continue.

ReputationRep:
    If I had to choose, then it would be Boris Johnson. He has such a fun personality.

ReputationRep:
    Dennis Skinner. Glenda Jackson is up there too, Probably a few more of the lesser known Labour Party MPs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Stuart Mill)
    This is satire right? Thatcher destroyed industry, Cameron is finished, Hague isn't even competent enough to wait for evidence before he makes decisions on foreign policy, and May wants us to withdraw from the European Convention on Human Rights.
    Au contraire,
    Britain never had the industrial capacity to compete with the big comers; Russia, China, India. Our industry would inevitably have died out anyway thanks to competition and with nothing to fall back on, what Thatcher did was push Britain into newer financial industries which we are now world leaders. I do agree it was done somewhat harshly but to be honest, had the industry died out by itself it would have been hella lot worse.

Cameron is one of the most popular and relatable PMs of modern times, as proven by the fact that midterm Conservative poll was huge comapred to normal midterm polls. Polls consistently show people trust him, and George Osborne has helped restore the economy which FINALLY Ed Balls has admitted too!

Hague has the coolest voice ever so..

May was responsible for getting Abu Qatada out which Labour consistently coudln't do.
    Also, polls show people do not support ECHR, so if anything May is doing the correct thing. People would rather have a British bill of rights under which we can decide without feeling like we are being dictated to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.