Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is public transport REALLY a no-go place to approach women? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datpiff)
    Is it really the worst place to approach women? Is there a way of ever doing it without feeling awkward and making her feel very awkward? It's frustrating because everyday you have to use this and you're surrounded by women you find attractive all the time, though its the most depressing place ever (just look at the drivers and conductors - they're miserable as hell)

I find that the only way people ever talk on public transport is if something bad happens (e.g. An accident), but you can't go causing them haha...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As a woman, I'd be flattered if someone approached me on public transport, we like the attention of having someone trying to get our attention. I mean, it isn't the most ideal way of picking someone up, but if you hit it off, there's no worries, its cliché meeting people in a bar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellenabethx)
    As a woman, I'd be flattered if someone approached me on public transport, we like the attention of having someone trying to get our attention. I mean, it isn't the most ideal way of picking someone up, but if you hit it off, there's no worries, its cliché meeting people in a bar
    Its a simple test of people skills, if you don't have any develop some.....it will benefit you in the short and long term...being able to strike up a conversation with someone you don't know....

ReputationRep:
    Today whilst I was the tube, a guy sat down opposite me then a few stops later a women sat next to him. Another guy sat next to me was talking to his friend and then the tube stopped. They didn't realise it was there stop and just made it out of the tube before the doors closed on them.

Anyway the women sat next to the man sat opposite me just started laughing and the guy started laughing as well and they just began to chat to each other. Too complete strangers talking to each other, so it does happen, you can approach women on the tube.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares? If you want to approach a woman, do it, don't worry what other people think otherwise you'll end up going mad. Some societal norms are a load of ball sack. If you smile and say "hey" and they show no interest, move on, simples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubAtomic)
    Who cares? If you want to approach a woman, do it, don't worry what other people think otherwise you'll end up going mad. Some societal norms are a load of ball sack. If you smile and say "hey" and they show no interest, move on, simples.
    Yesterday I did get chatting to a nice girl on the train. She was pretty nice and was cute, and we had a funny chat, but at the end she wasn't interested in trading numbers, might of had a boyfriend, but it was a confidence booster. I suppose it's being at the right place at the right time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A conversation with a friendly guy would brighten up my boring bus journeys

(Original post by whatsername2009)
    It's definitely not ideal; for one thing, a lot of women would feel trapped and uncomfortable because if someone sits down next to you on the bus and starts talking to you then there's no easy way to remove yourself from the situation if you don't want to talk to them. Also, since it isn't really a social space I'd find it a bit intrusive, especially if I was trying to read or something, but other people might have different views.

Basically, I wouldn't recommend it, and if you really want to then I think you should be careful how you go about it. Pay attention to body language etc and if you try talking to her and she's not interested then leave her alone.

I should add that I know at least one person who has experienced sexual harassment on public transport, and while I'm certainly not implying that you're intending to harass anyone, you should remember that when you first meet someone you have no idea what their intentions are, so don't be surprised if women are somewhat wary of talking to you.
    Coulnt have put it better myself. ****s dont catch buses.

Seriously tho people on buses are on it because they just wanna get to where ever it is they are going. Personally I find it both embarrassing and nauseating being on a bus. Im not in my best state for being pulled. No harm in trying to start a conversation or somethin tho but just leave it at that for now and see how it goes later on eh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    Coulnt have put it better myself. ****s dont catch buses.

Seriously tho people on buses are on it because they just wanna get to where ever it is they are going. Personally I find it both embarrassing and nauseating being on a bus. Im not in my best state for being pulled. No harm in trying to start a conversation or somethin tho but just leave it at that for now and see how it goes later on eh.
    I wasn't trying to slut shame women who are open to being approached on public transport, but thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday I did get chatting to a nice girl on the train. She was pretty nice and was cute, and we had a funny chat, but at the end she wasn't interested in trading numbers, might of had a boyfriend, but it was a confidence booster. I suppose it's being at the right place at the right time
    Good :cool: The fact you tried is the main thing, and trying at the right place and right time is the only time anything will ever happen, I mean just because you try talking to someone or show interest it doesn't mean you only want sex which is what I believe some girls think which in turn stops me talking lol, it is only communication, I wish I could take my own advice hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    Is it really the worst place to approach women? Is there a way of ever doing it without feeling awkward and making her feel very awkward? It's frustrating because everyday you have to use this and you're surrounded by women you find attractive all the time, though its the most depressing place ever (just look at the drivers and conductors - they're miserable as hell)

I find that the only way people ever talk on public transport is if something bad happens (e.g. An accident), but you can't go causing them haha...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    m
    I've been approached on public transport and the times when it hasn't been awkward have been because the person struck up some sort of conversation first (a couple of times it just started of with something like 'how long have you been waiting for X train). Some guys have made me uncomfortable though, especially one who sat on the outside seat next to me and refused to get up until I gave him my number :lolwut:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.