Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

This government is ramming through cuts as it knows it wont win next election!!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Stop saying "lol " and "loooooooooooooool" all the time you little cretin, it weakens your argument significantly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    What do you think is the alternative? Spend yet more money we don't have? Bury our heads in the sand and acquire unlimited amounts of debt which will take decades to repay?
    I don't think the left are suggesting that; I think the alternatives would be to 1) increase housing spending to lower house prices and get the housing benefit bill down. 2) Stop subsidising employers to pay low wages by introducing a living wage and thereby negating the need for income support benefit. 3)Inject government spending now to get the economy moving and unemployment down ; thereby reducing JSA payments, increasing tax receipts and further cutting the deficit. I think these would be the humane solutions that the inarticulate OP is getting at; rather than arbitrarily cutting at everything and breeding social exclusion and resentment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Before you start banging on about the ills of privatisation. Do done research on british nationalised industry. That's the joys of privatisation, it drives through efficiency and cost savings to generate profit. Nationalisation in the uk never has and never will.
    Privatisation does have benefits. Privatisation of vital services on the other hand? No. The roads in Ireland are great, because they were funded by private financiers, who then make money back through tolls. But leave our health service alone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muscovite)
    I don't think the left are suggesting that; I think the alternatives would be to 1) increase housing spending to lower house prices and get the housing benefit bill down. 2) Stop subsidising employers to pay low wages by introducing a living wage and thereby negating the need for income support benefit. 3)Inject government spending now to get the economy moving and unemployment down ; thereby reducing JSA payments, increasing tax receipts and further cutting the deficit. I think these would be the humane solutions that the inarticulate OP is getting at; rather than arbitrarily cutting at everything and breeding social exclusion and resentment.
    I totally agree with all of these things. However, even if they were all completely successful we would still have a huge deficit. Completely abolishing income support and JSA would still leave us with a deficit.

I generally see myself as left wing but I cannot agree with this logic that we should borrow more money to reduce the amount we are borrowing. The reality of it is that governments have very little control over the performance of the economy, to suggest that spending an extra £50bn - especially when we are talking about a number of public services which have little to no economic value - would lead to significant and lasting growth in tax receipts seems pretty unlikely.

To me this is looking like a case of politicians scrambling for an economic remedy (spend more) to achieve the desired result (reduce debt) without actually thinking through whether one thing leads to another...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    You're a UKIP supporter, I presume...?
    UKIP LOOOOOL far from it, Im to the left of center did you not see any of posts bashing this government?? I said that UKIP will take votes from Cameron and co as he has alienated his grass root base, who are far right so they will hurt them in the 2015 elections and Farage said he would never do a deal if Cameron is in charge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam543)
    Stop saying "lol " and "loooooooooooooool" all the time you little cretin, it weakens your argument significantly.
    I can write what I want, thanks. Look the reason why I laugh out loud so to say, is because there are far to many Cameron lovers on this site

ReputationRep:
    Look what I wanted to get at with my post, was to basically try and expose this 80% Conservative government which is running on borrowed time. Mr Cameron better enjoy the next two years he has in power as I can guarantee you that he wont be residing in NUMBER 10 DOWNING STREET come 25th December 2015

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.